bkoch

Soft opening canopies

My Safire has NEVER spanked me, not even a little bit. Spectres also have a great reputation, I have jumped a few and have no complaints.

Amen on the Safire. The only spanking I got was because I failed to slow down after a sit. :S
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

My Triathalon opens extremely soft every jump. (well, except for 1, but i believe that was an error on my part).

Almost too soft, I'm trying to speed up the openings, since they usually take 7-800 feet+ to complete :S

Edit: But I only have about 20 jumps on it, so perhaps wait untill somebody else (who has more jumps on one) can tell you better.

Almost too soft, I'm trying to speed up the openings, since they usually take 7-800 feet+ to complete

My omega is like that. If I don't push the nose into the center before wrapping the tail, it tends to open quicker
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

It can have alot to do with your packing (completly canopy dependant, something that does one thing on one canopy can do the completely opposite on another). I have a pilot and I never pack it too tightly, just a few rolls in the tail is all it needs and it opens sooo softly, its incredible, like falling through butter. Means I can make 10-13 jumps a day and not feel ive just played 3 hours of rugby.

Note (so that everyone is aware): NEVER EVER push the nose into the canopy, I know its been perpetuated quite severely, but going on the advice of Alan Hewitt (top BPA rigger examiner, probably one of the guys who knows the most about gear), you are severly increasing your chance of a lineover, by disturbing the packjob.

Warwick University Skydiving Club

Almost too soft, I'm trying to speed up the openings, since they usually take 7-800 feet+ to complete

My omega is like that. If I don't push the nose into the center before wrapping the tail, it tends to open quicker

judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions

why not allow for the fact your canopy opens slower and dump a little higher. triathilons have caused injury from very hard openings although they seem to open slowly most of the time. trying to speed up the opening could have a disasterous effect. do a searc on hard openings and you will see.

crossfires are also a soft opener, i can vouch for that. it seems nz areosports like to suss the openings as well as the flight.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

What are the softest opening canopies on the market today?

Brad

After many many jumps on a Sabre 190 that spanked me into submission many times, my Firebolt 164 opens sweetly and on heading - and has done for 200 jumps. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :$ No, really! I love it (is that wrong.......)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I have a pilot and I never pack it too tightly, just a few rolls in the tail is all it needs and it opens sooo softly, its incredible, like falling through butter. Means I can make 10-13 jumps a day and not feel ive just played 3 hours of rugby.

Ditto on the pilot. 10 jumps a day on weekends lately.. soft, on-heading..no bruises, feeling fine on Monday.. B|
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

What are the softest opening canopies on the market today?

Brad

That's impossible to answer in generally.
The trend in the market is that almost every new canopy is designed to open very soft.
But it depends on size of the canopy, jumpers weight & speed and many other factors how soft a canopy opens.

Caonpies which are known for its sweet openings are:

Spectre
Sabre 2
Sillhouette
Safire (2)
Firebolt
Pilot
Nitro(n)
Rage (Paratec)
Crossfire (2)
Katana
Blade

And some others I've forgotten
;)

Don't be a Lutz!

My stilleto opens great...and only has spun up on me once...that was due to my own fault.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My Spinetto used to open like sh!t and spin up - before I replaced all the lines.
Now it opens gracefully.

I can't believe no one mentioned the Stiletto.

Compared to basically everything else on the market when the Stiletto was released, it opened really nicely, but by today's standards, it's not that impressive. I much prefer the openings of my Velo to the openings of my Stiletto. And nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to my old Crossfire (1) openings...

Canuck

why not allow for the fact your canopy opens slower and dump a little higher. triathilons have caused injury from very hard openings although they seem to open slowly most of the time. trying to speed up the opening could have a disasterous effect. do a searc on hard openings and you will see.

yeah, I was actually wondering if this was good advice for a Tri or if I should nto have said anything.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Compared to basically everything else on the market when the Stiletto was released, it opened really nicely, but by today's standards, it's not that impressive. I much prefer the openings of my Velo to the openings of my Stiletto. And nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to my old Crossfire (1) openings...

Canuck

Trust me...My Stiletto is the smoothest opening one out there right now. it is sweet. it's a Norman Kent canopy so it has big fat Dacron lines on it. opens like butter. opens better than my Safire that I sold to Matt above.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

My Safire has NEVER spanked me, not even a little bit.

That thing used to pop the fuck out of me before I got the mod done....after the mod...it's like falling into warm ice cream...yummy.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

My Safire has NEVER spanked me, not even a little bit.

That thing used to pop the fuck out of me before I got the mod done....after the mod...it's like falling into warm ice cream...yummy.

psst...you forgot to tm that. :P

Which is exactly how my crossfire 1 opens, the poor little baby has been sitting in my closet for way to long.
Fly it like you stole it!

after jumping a Safire 149, a Safire II 139 and a Sabre2 135 i can say that the nicest opening one out of them all has to be the Sabre2...although the Safire II was pretty soft too.

The Sabre2 was just nicer in my opinion :)
EDIT: Sabre2 does search a bit, but as long as you have a good body position then it seems to open just fine...the two i jumped did anyway :P