thrillstalker

skydivers, nicest people on earth

I've noticed the same atmosphere in other endeavors. Climbing, hiking, flying, racing, etc. Each and every group made me feel right at home and like they were the nicest group of people anywhere.
And you know what? They were all the nicest people I ever met! :)

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Give it time.

i know there are asshole skydivers, just like in anything else, but i still have noticed that in general jumpers are much more friendly and generous than other parts of society.

that is simply because you share an affinity ... I ride and bikers are the nicest people especially to other bikes ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

...and then there'll be that random skydiver at your DZ you never saw before who steals your Gatorz when you're on a skydive.. or that skygod that still doesn't know how to spot but is happy to blow your spot for you.... just wait... there are some real winners out there :)
that said, I have met some of my closest friends in life at DZ's...

so i have noticed skydivers are the nicest people on earth. i feel like i am out of place anywhere but the dz, anybody else feel like this? and what makes skydivers so nice to each other???

Been in the sport a long time and I agree with you. Also been involved with a lot of other groups but skydivers are unique and I only seen a few jerks out there but they don't last long.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

...or that skygod that still doesn't know how to spot but is happy to blow your spot for you.... ...

I'm interested to know how someone can blow YOUR spot:)Mind you i have met quite a few USofA jumpers who dont know how to spot:S
But it's still your fault if YOUR SPOT sux:)

My last jump today was spotted poorly, and i landed off, no ones fault but my own. I played follow the leader and paid the price of walking back to the DZ.:)
Idiot spoter>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My opinion is, all of our lives depend on each other watching out for each other, (visual gear checks, I do them all the time) Seperation, and air dangers, It makes for close friends, that would normally never even talk to each other!

I think you nailed it there. We have a level of trust that golfers and tennis players never experience. B|

I've noticed the same atmosphere in other endeavors. Climbing, hiking, flying, racing, etc. Each and every group made me feel right at home and like they were the nicest group of people anywhere.

I'd beg to differ on that one...;)

I've been a part of many such sports and 'clubs' and none compare to 'this thing of ours'.

My wife who has been involved in aviation for over 35 years commented on the kindred spirit we skydivers share that is WAY above and beyond anything she'd experienced in flying.

We tend to visit places that interest us all over the world, and that usually gets us around airplanes of one kind or another.

Pilots will 'talk' to ya, & be somewhat friendly...SKYDIVERS welcome you as family!

Food, drink, place to stay is often offered without question...I've been given a rig to jump and a lift ticket from friends I'd met just an hour prior, been handed a tandem rig and put in the rotation 1/2 an hour after hitting the door of a DZ I'd never seen before...heck I did a demo on borrowed gear into a city in Norway once, 20 minutes after walking on the DZ! B|

You make your bones, 'get your cred' in skydiving by having an abundance of love and dedication as well as sacrificing boatloads for something that most consider a bubble or two off center.

We may not agree on politics, religion or pizza toppings but we're flying the same air for the same reasons...and that creates a bond you just can't buy into with an airplane title or country club 'money'. :)

We trust each other because we 'know' each other...whether we've been introduced or not.

I know I'm just a n00b, but I really like being able to relate to & have something in common with people of all walks...even the OLD FARTS! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I bet the chili cook-off community has a level of trust with their farts that we will never experience.:P

"Never trust a fart during competition" is probably their motto.:D

i havent been around long, but ive been around long enough to eat dz food. mix that in with changes in pressure on a hot day in a little can up in the air and you have a nightmare that any chilli fan would run from.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I'd beg to differ on that one...;)

I've been a part of many such sports and 'clubs' and none compare to 'this thing of ours'.

My wife who has been involved in aviation for over 35 years commented on the kindred spirit we skydivers share that is WAY above and beyond anything she'd experienced in flying.

We tend to visit places that interest us all over the world, and that usually gets us around airplanes of one kind or another.

Pilots will 'talk' to ya, & be somewhat friendly...SKYDIVERS welcome you as family!

Food, drink, place to stay is often offered without question...I've been given a rig to jump and a lift ticket from friends I'd met just an hour prior, been handed a tandem rig and put in the rotation 1/2 an hour after hitting the door of a DZ I'd never seen before...heck I did a demo on borrowed gear into a city in Norway once, 20 minutes after walking on the DZ! B|

You make your bones, 'get your cred' in skydiving by having an abundance of love and dedication as well as sacrificing boatloads for something that most consider a bubble or two off center.

We may not agree on politics, religion or pizza toppings but we're flying the same air for the same reasons...and that creates a bond you just can't buy into with an airplane title or country club 'money'. :)

We trust each other because we 'know' each other...whether we've been introduced or not.

I know I'm just a n00b, but I really like being able to relate to & have something in common with people of all walks...even the OLD FARTS! :ph34r:

i think you summed it up quite well.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."