bravoniner

Oldest collegiate SPC

Texas A&M has one of the oldest, formed back in 1963 or there abouts. It's within a year or two of that, eitherway up or down. I can do some poking around to try to nail down the exact date, if you want. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Alright, well, I'm poking around as we speak, just sent an e-mail out to the A&M Skydiving Club's listserv to start my research. I'll hit the campus archives in the next few days or so to see what I can find in old year books and stuff. I could have sworn that A&M had the oldest continuous collegate club in the nation, so I want to find out for sure now. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dead heat with the Army: Badger Skydivers (University of Wisconsin - Madison) -- started meeting in 1957 and incorporated in '58. (I've got the old minute books.) Kinda fizzled out about '73 due to DZ probs, and (I think) made one attempt at reincarnation since then.

Can anybody beat these clubs?

Bravo-niner

I'm a little late on this post, but I jumped against the USMA West Point club in a meet at Galeville, NY in 1966 and also at the colligate Nat'l, I believe '65 or '66 in Orange Mass. In '66 their team leader was a Capt from West Virginia, named Lon Spurlock, a great, wonderful guy. He was killed in VN in spring '69, 32 years old, aboard a helicopter took an AK-47 round in the head and the helicopter crashed. I visited the Wall in Wash DC and found his name. I have a photo of that meet, where I'm about 10 feet off the ground, feet stretched out and slipping my 5-tu cheapo, for closest jump of the meet, about 2 ft. Spurlock loved it, wouldn't let up on his Cadets, who were jumping ParaCommanders. I'll try to figurte out how to post that photo.