NickDG

Earthquake . . . (California)

Two good jolts here in California! Big enough it woke us up here (right outside LA) at 4:AM . . .

Coffee's on!

NickD :)

well now you're up, go back to painting Nina :P

Hope everything is OK and there are no big damages/hurt people with the quakes.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Cal Tech is calling it a 4.4 and it hit at 4:04 AM :o on the Whittier Fault in Pico Rivera.

Our house shook for a good 15 seconds (after I woke up) accompanied with a rumbling sound. No reports of damage yet. But News reports are saying it was felt all over Southern California.

The Whittier fault (part of the Elsinore Fault) had a 5.9 earthquake back in 1987 that I still remember well . . .

NickD :)

DAMMIT! i never get to feel them :(. last one i was in i was packing my canopy at elsinore and the ground shook, i thouht it was my hangover til i asked other people, i wanna feel one!

Judging by all the activity lately...you will probably get your wish soon!

Anybody feel anything down in San Diego? My father and I are supposed to head out there tomorrow and he is real nervous about it. I told him it was only half of the one he was in in Santiago last month:D:D He didn't laugh.:|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Anybody feel anything down in San Diego? My father and I are supposed to head out there tomorrow and he is real nervous about it. I told him it was only half of the one he was in in Santiago last month:D:D He didn't laugh.:|

San Diego's happened Sat abotu 9:20...This city is design pretty much for shakers, don't let it bother you , unless you are staying in a High rise...

San Diego's happened Sat abotu 9:20...This city is design pretty much for shakers, don't let it bother you , unless you are staying in a High rise...

only HERE :o:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Uh Dahrlin..... it is not a linear scale 4.4 to 8.8....aint twice as strong.

http://www.geology.wisc.edu/courses/g115/quake/richter.html

Magnitude vs Intensity
Richter Magnitude:

Most people have heard of the Richter Scale for measuring the 'size' or 'strength' of an earthquake. This scale is quantitative and based on the amount of energy released by an earthquake.

The inferred energy of a quake is a function of both the amplitude and the duration of a single wave. The seismogram below shows waves with a wide range of amplitude (up to +/- 350) and duration (the first big wave cycle - up, down, back to zero - started just after 8 minutes on the chart and ended nearly 40 seconds later; other waves lasted only seconds).

So when you do all the math, here is what you get.

One unit on the Richter Magnitude Scale corresponds to a tenfold increase or decrease in the amplitude of the wave on the seismogram - 350 in this example would become either 3500 or 35! This change, when summed over all the wavelengths and wave types, translates to a 30 times increase in energy.

So a seismograph (the instrument) that recorded a 1 cm deflection on a seismogram (the tracing) for a magnitude 5 earthquake would show a 100 cm deflection for a magnitude 7 quake that released 30x30 = 900 times as much energy. You do the math for a magnitude 8 quake!

To make these measurements you need to use a calibrated instrument that is located 100 km from the quake epicenter (or make corrections to data gathered at other distances).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercalli Intensity:

The Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale is a qualitative assessment of the kinds of damage done by an earthquake. To avoid confusion with the Richter Magnitude scale, the Mercalli scale is reported using Roman Numerals on a scale from I to XII. For example:

I: Not felt except by a very few people under very special circumstances.

V: Felt by nearly everyone, people awakened, some windows and dishes broken, some tall objects disturbed.

VIII: Damage slight in specially designed structures, considerable damage in normal buildings with partial collapse, heavy furniture overturned.

XII: Total destruction of man-made structures, waves seen on the ground, objects thrown in the air.

only HERE :o:D:D

Be afraid...be very afraid...:S

Interestingly... The Richter Scale is the only system I'm familiar with that actually uses bels as a system of logarithmic measurement (as opposed to decibels or dB used virtually everywhere else)

Bottom line is that an increase of 0.3 on the Richter Scale translates to an earthquake of twice the energy. (note: this is not the same as saying twice the amplitude.)

/edit: changed "Bels" to "bels" because units of measure aren't capitalized when spelled out, only when abbreviated and originating from a proper name. ...I'm a fucking blast at parties.

Interestingly... The Richter Scale is the only system I'm familiar with that actually uses Bels as a system of logarithmic measurement (as opposed to decibels or dB used virtually everywhere else)

Bottom line is that an increase of 0.3 on the Richter Scale translates to an earthquake of twice the energy. (note: this is not the same as saying twice the amplitude.)

Fuck all that sciencey bullshit, I simply run out back to see how big the waves are in my pool! that 4.0 only made 8 inch waves...:ph34r: