FlyingJ

iPhone vs. ambulance (Otter Box and Apple rock!)

If you have an iPhone and are anything but the most gentle person with it, it's time to invest in an Otter Box. http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-3g-3gs-cases/iphone-3g-3gs-defender-case/

I've owned my iphone for the last year and have had it in an Otter Box case the whole time. The case is big, the case is bulky and the case is expensive (~$55, but you can find it for $30 on Amazon). The case is also the reason my phone that was run over by my own ambulance followed by three more vehicles had nothing more than a cracked screen.

I got out of the truck and didn't realize my phone was on my lap and within a few seconds on the ground. We drove away and ran over it. Apparently some bystanders across the street saw it get run over 3 more times before picking it up.

Now being a touch screen there is no way to armor plate the screen, so it cracked and my Otter Box case shows where the screen was lying on some rocks. The rest of the phone had not even a single scratch. Literally, looks just as good as the day I took it out of the box and put it in the case. It still rang when called, dinged when texted and still connected to the computer with no problem.

I called Apple to inquire about my Apple Care plan and replacement of the screen. They liked the story...hadn't ever heard of an Apple product getting run over by an ambulance before, and that it happened to someone who has owned Apple products his whole life, and in the end offered me a free replacement rather than fixing the cracked screen (I can only assume the one with a cracked screen will be shipped out as refurbed here in the near future).

Anyway, were it not for the Otter Box case my phone would no doubt have been obliterated and Apple would never have offered a free replacement. And as for the case...it has a few divots on the screen protector where it was lying on rocks when it got run over so it has to be replaced, but those were the only markings on the case too. Both case and phone stood up to being run over by FOUR vehicles.

So, go for it. It's big, it's bulky and I'll never own an iPhone without one.
Killing threads since 2004.

I got one of those for my big iPod just after I bought the thing. I spend a lot of time on my boats.. and it has done a great job of keeping the iPod in pristine condition, even in the salt air and constant moisture of a marine environment while sailing. It is big.. but its waterproof and quite sturdy...

One of the best buys I ever made.

Oh Yeah. I am an ardent believer of the Otter Box and have converted more than one person to its glory. They can make a seemingly delicate device damn near Milspec. I'd take a picture of mine, but I can't flip the camera around fast enough. ;) Got the black and yellow box so's I can find it.

I do have one issue with the iPhone defender as compared with my previous BB Otterbox is that the bottom portion of the shell cradle isn't as high as the BB one and the iPhone can launch at the slightest brush against the top of the iPhone. It seems to be designed for a slight push from the top to pop out, rather than a grab and pull-up method like the BB one.

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Mine took a swim for 15 minutes when the boat I was in going duck hunting sank.

I have the defender with the white membrane over the speaker and mic ports.

The phone would not come on, but would flicker. I put the phone in a bag of rice and put it under heat for a few hours and the phone started working.

It works 100% now, i'm certain that if it was not in the case it would be a paperweight now

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

You must have had better luck with the white membrane over the speaker and mic... The first couple of days everyone complained about it sounding like I had marbles in my mouth and I kept asking them to speak up (top volume on the side)... I broke out an exacto blade and cut the both of them out... They can hear me, I can hear them... but, water would definitely be an issue. But, I seem to spend more time drop testing my cell phones. They oughta pay for the testing I give 'em. :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

My issue has been lifting the gurney and having a phone in my pocket. Broke 2 screens. I have a blackberry flip phone thingy and no problems.

Never really had any problem with that. I wear the 5.11 pants that have really deep pockets though so the stretcher usually rests a little higher when I get my body into a heavy lift.
Killing threads since 2004.