jheadley

Is dating dead? Is hooking up the new dating?

Maybe it's because I'm relatively young (25), but I see the same trend everywhere I go. I've seen this pattern when I was in college, when I was an active skydiver, and now while I'm in the military (and I see it among civilian friends too).

There are two ways to have a girlfriend/boyfriend.

1. You go to a party, meet a perfect stranger, get drunk and hook up. It may be a one-night stand, or after that you two may start talking and eventually start a relationship. I know many people who found their boyfriend or girlfriend like this, and I know a few couples who are happily married who met like this.

2. You meet someone through work/the dz/friends and might casually talk and become friends while at work/the dz/hanging out with friends. Then one day at a party/boogie/whatever you two get drunk and hook up. Then you may become bf/gf after that.

Pretty much every couple I know can be put into one of these two categories. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I want to actually date someone first. I've had opportunities to hook up with random drunk strangers which I haven't taken, and even when I try to date, the women lose interest in me when I don't want to go back to their place after the first or second date. It takes me a while to get comfortable with someone.

Is there anyone out there who still dates the traditional way? Should I just get with the times and take that next drunken party hookup opportunity? [:/]

Maybe it's because I'm relatively young (25),

1. You go to a party, meet a perfect stranger, get drunk and hook up. It may be a one-night stand, or after that you two may start talking and eventually start a relationship

2. You meet someone through work/the dz/friends and might casually talk and become friends while at work/the dz/hanging out with friends. Then one day at a party/boogie/whatever you two get drunk and hook up. Then you may become bf/gf after that.

Wow, I've been married a long time. :oIt's good to know some things never change.;):)
Hey, if you want to ask some woman out to dinner-and-a-movie, just do it.

I'm sure she won't mind.:)

Old schooler here...after my divorce I spent my share of time at the bars. Plenty of 'hook-ups' but I wasn't interested in spending a ton of time with a woman who would fuck me after meeting me in a bar for the first time. What's the old saying, you don't lose your girlfriend you just lose your turn?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Maybe it's because I'm relatively young (25),

1. You go to a party, meet a perfect stranger, get drunk and hook up. It may be a one-night stand, or after that you two may start talking and eventually start a relationship

Wow, I've been married a long time. :oIt's good to know some things never change.;):)
Hey, if you want to ask some woman out to dinner-and-a-movie, just do it.

I'm sure she won't mind.:)

she wont mind and then probably wont call you again ;)
IHYD

I was in high school in the late eighties to early ninties. Hooking up was the still common then. I have always looked at "dating" as a second chance after the first encounter. I viewed "hooking up" as first meeting success. I only dated if the initial meeting was inconvienint at the time.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Wow. I've never been drunk and never done a one night stand. I guess dating isn't for me. :ph34r:

I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I remember years ago I met a girl that gave me blue balls, when I finally got her
she did every thing I wanted in a girl., sucked me dry, took it in the ass and was a great cook,
turned out she was already married and all she was looking for was a way out and a fresh start
I just wasent the guy to accomadate her. Funny thing is after all these years she's never left my thoughts.

Dating always hated dating.

Gone fishing