almeister112

Jumping with newly-licensed skydivers

I'm going to have this conversation with the group of experienced guys I usually jump with next weekend, but I thought I'd ask here, too.

There's now a new bunch of students going through the AFF program, so they'll soon be licensed and looking for people to jump with. I will be forever grateful to the guys who were nice enough to not only take me along on jumps, but also encourage me and give me pointers along the way when I was just barely off student status. They're largely responsible for me sticking around, as doing solos for 100 jumps probably wouldn't have been too much fun.

I'd love to be able to do the same for the newer people, but I don't want to do so at the expense of their safety. Is it a good idea for me, at 110 jumps, to go with them, or is that better left to the D-licensed people?

You have enough experience to get a coach rating, which would allow you to jump with post-AFF, pre-A license holders. You have enough experience to jump with a new A license holder.

Actually, you may find them to be some of the most challenging jumps you've done so far. Have fun!

I wanted to wait for an instructor to chime in first.

You both have valid licenses, right?
So why not?

Keep it small, keep it simple.

Have fun:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I recommend nothing bigger than 2-ways when you jump with people right off student status.

I sometimes do that, and it's fun and challenging for me: I incorporate things that I need to work on, while giving the new jumper the impression that he plans the jump. I let them choose their exit, then I walk through some turns and stuff with them, and set a breakoff altitude.

Newer people have a tendency to lose arch when they get stressed out, so anticipate a quite slow fallrate, and they will also float around quite a bit. You'll really get to fly.

When I jump with them, I handle all the level issues, that's why it's better to do 2-ways, because that way we can turn some points.

Don't plan anything too ambitious, keep it simple, if you're unsure about how it will work with levels, make a good breakoff plan: like "at 5k we go across the runway in opposite directions, in case we get separated a LOT I turn and track towards the inland, and you turn and track towards the sea" Inform each other of pull altitudes, and should be good safety-wise.

Maybe you'll find some friends who will be on a team with you or will keep jumping with you when they're more experienced.

Good luck and have fun!

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

The best jumps with newbies are the ones where they can actually feel skills they've learned turning into performance. Whether it's levels practice, or moving forward to dock, or turning and docking, or a 3-point 3-way, any jump where there is a plan, the plan is executed, and they participated and contributed (as opposed to simply falling stable while everyone turns points around them) is a success, and that makes it fun.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Oh yeah, I forgot to put in my previous post that it's really, really cool to see that you are willing to "pay it forward" and help new jumpers the way you were helped. :)
Some do, but sometimes it seems that the newer jumpers only want to do more advanced stuff (FF, bigger groups, ect) and the rookies get ignored.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Talk with the experienced that have jumped with you and/or the newbie, but you should be OK (you're both licensed).

Keep it small, keep it safe.

Recommend hard helmets.

These can be great fun and stretch your skills as well.

Enjoy it (but trust me about the helmets) :P

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Don't just work on in-air skills, but gear checks, safe and proper loading of the A/C, handling canopy traffic, and checking in after the jump.

Many students are somewhat isolated from normal jump operations and then are overwhelmed when no one is acting as the instructor.

And, yep, simple, small skydives with easily attainible goals!

Jump more, post less!

In my short licensed skydiving life, I've had the most fun when there was a much more experienced jumper with me. Be it doing something fun like a 3-way horny gorilla or 4-way hybrid, or just as simple as 2-way working on docking and fall rates.

When I find myself jumping with guys that are just barely more skilled than I am, nothing works. My first jump on Monday was a 2-way with a guy that has 100 jumps or so, but he isn't as current as I am. Following our pointless exit routine (just for shits and giggles) we were supposed to dock. We ended up just flying around each other in circles until 8,000 feet and I just stopped... signaled to him to come to me... *sigh* He just kept circling around me.
Don't forget to pull!

Lets keep this thread going please!!

I'm sure there are a lot of us newbies who would want to know more.

I do it all the time...

My favorite '2way' is to let the n00b dive out after me and dock, 360 left & dock, 360 right and dock, then we back-loop...

2nd part of the dive is the same thing except I lay a still base and don't work the dock at all, it's all them flying.

Since I usually jump a camera anyway, we can 'debrief' for a couple minutes afterwards ... just like the 'cool-kids' do! :ph34r:

Some of these people just light up when they get to practice skills without 'paying extra'...and when I say 'pack up and let's go practice zipper docks' the enthusiasm and obvious gratitude shown, make a good day even better FOR ME! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Oh yeah, I forgot to put in my previous post that it's really, really cool to see that you are willing to "pay it forward" and help new jumpers the way you were helped.

What he said.

A couple ideas for what to do with them - I like to plan jumps that allow the newer jumper to work on something without feeling pressured to get it right (ie making it feel like a "training" jump, which most new jumpers have had about enough of). One of my favorite things to do is put a 2 way open accordion into the dive - once you get it, both jumpers put their legs out and their other arm back and it spins hard until you can't hold on anymore. Loads of fun, and getting back to a 2 way gives the newb a chance to work on closing distance in a no-pressure situation. "Hog flops" are fun and work the same skills; build a 2 way, break, both do backloops, redock, continue until breakoff.

I love jumping with new jumpers. And most are now a lot better than I am (and don't jump with me anymore). My skill are improving all the time. Partly because I am either trying to catch them (rarely) or slow down so they can catch me.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Enjoy it (but trust me about the helmets)

+1 there. My helmet has made friends with other helmets on two jumps.

I had a guy show up at my DZ with about 120 jumps compared to my 30 and we jumped a few times together. He offerred a few pointers, and I got excited when I realize that I was able to control my fall rate, turn some points with him, etc.

The other thing is that we did some really fun jumps with a few guys between 30 - 100 jumps where we played tag, did a four way with 5 points (I considered that a MAJOR accomplishment :P).

We talked to some instructors about a Mr. Bill, and a tube exit and some other fun stuff.

So, I can't offer experienced advice, but I can say that your willingness to jump with these guys will have the same effect on them that the experienced guys had on you. Plus, it's fun to jump with guys whoh are relaxed and don't worry too too much if your not getting ever point.
...And I'm not gonna not get Randy Jackson's autograph...
Did we just become best friends?

D.S. #1000000

We have a beginner competition twice a year: TRIP-UP (the coaching program here is called TRIP). The teams consist of one coach, one videoflyer, 2 newbies, lots of fun & learning going on!
Video from last week's competition (plus some other stuff, watch the clip after the credits.....) here: http://www.paracentrumteuge.nl/index.php?view=weblink&catid=38%3Adagvideos&id=70%3A4-september-2010&option=com_weblinks&Itemid=97

This competition sometimes results in rookie FS treams, it certainly helps you find jumping buddies, you learn a lot, it's also a good way for new camera flyers to get some jumps in, and you generally see the level of jumping (points, confidence) rise after every jump :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Don't just work on in-air skills, but gear checks, safe and proper loading of the A/C, handling canopy traffic, and checking in after the jump.

... "

Yes, definitely talk about the landing pattern - with junior jumpers. Help them plan their landing pattern, which land marks to fly over, etc. long before boarding the plane.