gowlerk

New Tandem, Student, Re: wingsuit BSR

diablopilot

If wingsuiters as a group had held themselves to and policed themselves to the same standard we wouldn't be in this position. But they didn't. They acted like children and were treated as such. Some may want to self examine their actions.

On the contrary, we chose to self-regulate like adults.
Apex BASE

To be fair, there are some in our community that need help with this. And we can rightfully complain about the specifics and method through which the BSR was enacted. But the fact remains that we are, in part, responsible for the course USPA has taken. Self regulation is great but we have not done as well in this area as we could.

I contacted USPA and got a prompt, professional, and polite response from some people rather high up. The BSR when it was in committee had "under canopy", but they were concerned that wingsuiters would start buzzing tandems under freefall, so instead of adding 'or under freefall', they took out 'while under canopy'. The feedback I got was:

The way the BSR is written now, we believe it implies while in free-fall and under canopy.

I have never had an issue prohibiting flyby of tandems. I think it is a stupid idea to buzz them. I think the USPA did a good job of addressing the issue before anything bad happened. I would give the USPA grade of 'A' in safety oversight and a 'C' in the implementation of the BSR.

I think they could have done a better job writing the regulation. As others have stated, the process of creating a BSR is flawed. There probably should have been an 'Announced Proposal for a New BSR' and allow the members to comment on the proposal. Instead, we as members had no input and the actual intent of the new BSR has to be discerned by implication.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Really? Is there a particular string of incidents which suggest that we've failed in self regulating?

Have we failed more than, for example, swoopers?

I think it's just heavy-handed regulation of a (relatively) new and unfamiliar discipline to many of the higher ups.
Apex BASE

Bluhdow

I think it's just heavy-handed regulation of a (relatively) new and unfamiliar discipline to many of the higher ups.

Yes, in fact swooping has bein heavy handed regulated recently too, see for example last year's pledge by DZOs to provide separate landing areas for swoopers doing big turns and forbidding turns greater than 180 degs when in the pattern with other jumpers.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Bluhdow

Really? Is there a particular string of incidents which suggest that we've failed in self regulating?

It is heavy handed to prohibit wing suit fliers from buzzing tandem students??! :S

You have to be kidding me! Setting aside the issue of additional risk for the student what exactly as a wingsuiter entitles you to be an element in a tandem students skydive beyond a high five in the landing area? If you want to play a part in their experience go earn a tandem rating. They are first jump students, not air pylons.

USPA is being proactive for once, and they should be. They were far behind the curve with canopy collisions, but the general public doesn't really care much when we kill each other. The FAA and the general public cares a great deal about killing tandem students.

This new rule should limit, or at least demonstrate that we tried to prohibit, needless stupid human tricks that has the potential to kill tandem students when it goes wrong.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Di0

Yes, in fact swooping has bein heavy handed regulated recently too, see for example last year's pledge by DZOs to provide separate landing areas for swoopers doing big turns and forbidding turns greater than 180 degs when in the pattern with other jumpers.

Is it heavy handed in light of the decades worth of canopy collisions and dead jumpers caused by swooping through the landing pattern?
=P

You could apply to "behind the curve" argument to any hypothetical issue that hasn't actually turned out to be a problem in reality.

I know, let's make a rule to ban head down jumps. We don't want to get "behind the curve" with respect to the dangers these kinds of jumps create. Especially with newer jumpers who simply aren't qualified to judge their own ability!

Again, it's a rule created to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.

But we're just running in circles here. We'll have to agree to disagree and I thank you for your input. Honestly.
Apex BASE

You are missing the point, by a very wide margin. I would like to think that you aren't representative of the overall wingsuiting community, but if you are, then this further cements the need for a rule like this.

The fly bys are occurring, they are unnecessary, and they add risk. None of that can be argued, so the problem clearly exists.

They aren't limiting jumps between other skydivers. Your head down comparison is apples to horses.

They are restricting conduct involving students. Consider it a limitation on the interaction with students, who are either unknowing participants, or at least uneducated as to the risks.

When the USPA starts telling you how you can interact with other wingsuiters let me know and I will be the first to join your complaint. That isn't what is happening here, not at all.
=P

You have to be kidding. Do you have any idea how foolish you sound trying to defend your position? Two of the best wing suit flyers in the world fucked, one died and the other the next two week trying to explain why it happened. Not very well I might add. (see attachment)

Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF214wDC4L8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCnGo1wvJQ
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

DougH

I would like to think that you aren't representative of the overall wingsuiting community, but if you are, then this further cements the need for a rule like this.

He isn't. Most wingsuit flyers never have done a (tandem) flyby nor have any interest in doing so. It's just a few people now that want to make some noise because they feel their 'rights' are being attacked.

I am a wingsuit pilot myself, and personally I think this sends a clear message that flybys next to (tandem)students are a no go. Still want to buzz a canopy? No one is stopping you from organizing a jump with another experienced jumper to fly past his canopy or to do some XRW.

As far as self regulations goes, that only works when everyone agrees with each other. It only takes one idiot to think he has special privileges to fuck it up for the rest. So please stop blaming 'the wingsuit community' for the actions of a limited amount of individuals.

Again, it's a rule created to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.

I guess it depends on what you define the problem to be. If the problem is there is unregulated activity causing additional risk to the cash cow of skydiving, this rule is solving the problem.

The USPA took the easiest course and banned all close flybys. They could have regulated the wingsuiter has 500 wingsuit jumps and the TI 500 tandems, or something like that, but they didn't. They could have made it waiverable by an S&TA, but it probably isn't.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Bluhdow

***If wingsuiters as a group had held themselves to and policed themselves to the same standard we wouldn't be in this position. But they didn't. They acted like children and were treated as such. Some may want to self examine their actions.

If you were doing this effectively, there wouldn't be a BSR out. QED.