rapter

stroke and jumping

Has anyone or know anyone who has had a stroke to come back to jump? I had one and have now gone 2 months with out jumping. The longest in 25 years with out a jump, I can't move my left arm and i don't want to be straped to Paco just yet. for a tandem jump, I still pray I can come back, has anyone?

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

Did you ask your doctor about it?

Doctors will say no just on ignorance:ph34r::ph34r:

it will all depends on the amount of mobility afforded.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How much flexibility and motor skill has been lost?
If you can still perform all required drills, then with some physio you should be right:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Off the top of my head, I'd think the best sources to ask would be a sports/occupational rehabilitation physician familiar with your particular case, possibly in combination with a highly expert skydiving instructor who has some hands-on experience dealing with skydivers with disabilities.

Maybe cross-post a link to this thread in the Skydivers with Disabilities thread, FWIW.

Hope you get what you want, on all levels.

Yeah, because doctors don't know SHIT! Much better to listen to a bunch of your drunk skydiver buddies on the Internet. :P

:S

Anyway, Cary, ya know there are other Tandem Masters out there besides Paco. Some of them are female and HOT too! ;)

Yeah, because doctors don't know SHIT! Much better to listen to a bunch of your drunk skydiver buddies on the Internet. :P

:S;)

Generally doctors DONT know "shit" about our sport they see it as dangerous and will warn against it at every opportunity. if for no other reason than to cover their arses, from future suits.

So unless Cary is seeing a doctor that is conversant with skydiving and the physical impacts it has, I stand by my original assertion
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yo Cary
Remember when you wore my jumpsuit to a Halloween party and came as me? So giddy-up and get well and let's make some more jumps together. no hurry--just being well is the key.
xoox
kate

I'm trying as fast as I can.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

It is really going to depend on your ability to do the jump - operating the gear mostly.

Gotta be realistic about what you can and cannot do. Walk through every step of a skydive with your limitations in mind.

Big student canopies help, but then they make a one-armed flare more difficult. Emergency procedures. etc

good luck with it.

My wife has been a Physical Therapy Assistant since the 70s and she would definitely tell you that no two patients respond exactly alike. Some people end up doing extremely well after a major stroke, and some patients don't do very well even after a minor one. The only common trait in most of the ones that do well is that they really WANT to get well and work really hard to come back. Usually the ones that don't do well are because they either don't want to get well (go figure) or they don't want to do the hard work (human nature), or they have other health problems exasperating the situation.

Just keep doing what your healthcare providers recommend (especially PTs and OTs), don't give up, and have patience. I've personally seen some of my wife's patients make incredible progress because of their dedication to getting better and willingness to do all the work.

Best wishes for your recovery. I'm betting you'll do better than you think.

Joe
simplify

Has anyone or know anyone who has had a stroke to come back to jump? I had one and have now gone 2 months with out jumping. The longest in 25 years with out a jump, I can't move my left arm and i don't want to be straped to Paco just yet. for a tandem jump, I still pray I can come back, has anyone?

Last guy I know that came back from a stroke and jumped again was Bobby Frierson.

Yo Cary
Remember when you wore my jumpsuit to a Halloween party and came as me? So giddy-up and get well and let's make some more jumps together. no hurry--just being well is the key.
xoox
kate

I'm trying as fast as I can.

Kate,

I could have lived my whole life without the image now in my mind of Cary dressed up as you! :S

:P

:S

Let us know if y'all want us to drag you down to Perris and toss you in the tunnel!

;)