nigel99

Texas - Information please

Hi All,

We are planning a family holiday to Texas in August and will be looking to do quite alot. We are starting off in Fort Worth and I've been to the Stockyards and Billy Bobs on business so we will be going there.

The plan is to do a round trip going up to Palo Duro and then down to San Antonio.

Beside any ideas for a family with 3 kids aged 10 to 14,

I was wondering what we should budget for fuel and are there alot of toll roads? My guess is we will be doing about 2000 - 3000 miles over the course of a month and will be renting a "standard SUV" or similar.

Secondly are there any ideas on low cost family accomodation - for business I have stayed in the holiday inn express, Best Westerns and they have always been fine but any low cost idea's welcome.

Lastly any idea's on a food budget for 5 people? We are thinking about $30 a day each for the average day - is that realistic? We don't plan on eating at high end restaurants - probably a mix of tex-mex and family friendly places like Applebies, TGI etc.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

There are toll roads around Dallas/Ft. Worth. If you're heading from Ft. Worth to Dallas and not paying attention you could find yourself on one, but using the website Justin posted you could probably avoid them.

For something to do with the family in Ft. Worth: they've got one of the nicest zoos in the world here, and a botanical gardens very close to the zoo. There are a few museums around.

Probably the cheapest 'nice' accommodation you'll find would be a Motel 6 or a Howard Johnson.

If you want to drop the family off at the pool and go jumping, there's lots of options for that too.
I got nuthin

With a bigger SUV figure 10-15 mpg realistically. Gas is currently running a bit under $3/gal. It will probably go up a bit over $3 during the summer.

You could do better on gas with a more efficient vehicle. Minivans, crossovers and mid-sized sedans and station wagons will all burn less gas, but lose the "cool" factor (very imprtant for a Brit in Texas:P)

The only toll roads in Texas are around Dallas/Ft Worth and Houston. They are more for convenience and there are good alternate routes (that will have more traffic on them).

I'd go a bit higher for food if I were you. Unless the younger kids are willing to eat off the "Kid Menu", you'll be closer to $40/day each.
Some hotels let the kids eat free with adult meal purchases, so you might do a bit better. Other hotels offer free breakfast, so that might help too.
You can also eat cheaper by going with the "specials" at the smaller, local "family style" restaurants. The problem with those is that the quality varies quite a bit, and you lose the choice. There are usually only one or two items on special each day. Getting some trusted local advice on a good restaurant is useful.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

No matter where you are in Texas it will be hot in August. Make sure and bring hats and sunscreen, and plan plenty of swim breaks, movies, etc.

If you stay at motels that include breakfast, and make your own lunches or bring energy bars some of the time, $30/day each is more than generous. If you're having to buy those, it might not be. I'd strongly suggest a minivan instead of an SUV; it will get better gas mileage, and it will go everywhere you need to go.

Gas will cost whatever gas costs -- it's not significantly more or less than most of the rest of the US.

Enchanted Rock and Hamilton's Pool are nice places in central Texas, and floating down the Guadalupe River is a must-do.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Save money on food by eating at restaurants as little as possible. Make a grocery store your first stop after picking up the car; pick up a cheap ice chest and load it up with breakfast and lunch stuff.

There are roadside rest areas and picnic areas throughout Texas (some of them are real nice too), and every city has a park. Guaranteed your kids will remember the picnic lunches eaten in some random park in some random Texas town far more than they would lunch at Mickey D's or Applebee's off of exit 377.

If you're going to San Antonio, stop off in Gruene and float the river. The hill country offers a lot of neat thing. There are also the Space Caverns and others that are open to the public.

Ft. Worth has a HUGE amount of stuff to do as a family. There is an Omni-imax there, which kids love (I still love them).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you like outdoors stuff, with hiking and lakes, there's a lot you can do with that circuit.

On your way to Palo Duro, you can visit Dinosaur Valley (dinosaur footprints in rock!), Possum Kingdom, and Caprock Canyons - all great places. At Palo Duro be sure to do the trail to the big spire - that's the famous point there.

From Palo Duro to San Antonio, you can see Fort McKavett, S. Llano River, Lost Maples, Inks Lake, Enchanted Rock, Perdenales Falls - all beautiful places.

And of course in San Antonio, you've got to tour the Alamo.

The best in that list are Palo Duro, Enchanted Rock and the Alamo.

Texas State Parks: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/

If you're going to San Antonio, stop off in Gruene and float the river. The hill country offers a lot of neat thing. There are also the Space Caverns and others that are open to the public.

Ft. Worth has a HUGE amount of stuff to do as a family. There is an Omni-imax there, which kids love (I still love them).

There is also Natural Bridge Caverns that offers tours from basic/everyone friendly to needing some rappelling gear. I promise you will see signs for it anywhere in TX :D
The Comal River in New Braunfels may be a bit more family friendly and a shorter trip with the same net effect. It means spending 4 hours total on the water vs. 6-8. May be a better option depending on your schedule. New Braunfels also has one of the top water parks in the country right there. They let you bring in a cooler so you don't have to buy all your food from them and there is plenty of shade to protect your pasty white skin.:D HERE is their website. Kids of any age love it, hell i'm 36 and still love it. I am sending you a pm with my phone number in it, feel free to call for more specifics. B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I agree on Schlitterbahn and/or floating the river. That's some of the best stuff to do in the hot Texas summer. The caverns are nice and cool too, and I think there's a handful of them around Texas. Hamilton Pool is great in the summer, if it's swimmable (sometimes swimming is off limits). Enchanted Rock is nice too, but it will be pretty dang hot in August.

And of course you've got to eat some bbq while you're there. I hate to recommend a chain place, but... Rudy's actually has good bbq, and they've got locations all over Texas. They will give you samples of pretty much anything on the menu before you order, and they are reasonably priced. (You can also find some great mom-and-pop bbq joints, probably by asking the locals in whatever town you're in.)

"Mad dogs and Englishmen" comes to mind.

:D My recommendation would be an asbestos cowboy hat. I still remember the hot, hot sun at noon on those Dallas summer days.:S:)

I really like the idea of picking up a cheap cooler and loading it with picnic food. That's how we travel and it's not only cheaper, but healthier. If you can find motels with a kitchenette, you can then really eat like kings on a budget, although one meal in a restaurant a day is not bad. I like to stay away from the usual Applebee and Italian Garden chains, and find some cool Mom-and-Pop place, but that's not always practical.

One of our best family vacations was taking the kids to do the amusement parks in Orlando. We had a condo with kitchen, so our day started with a good breakfast there. Every day I packed sub sandwiches for everyone, sequestered in a backpack with frozen water bottles. We could have a great lunch while waiting in line for one ride or another. Those big sub sandwiches got a few jealous looks in line.:D It was early spring, so the parks closed early. We'd head back to the condo so the kids could swim while I barbecued some steaks, burgers, what have you. The kids enjoyed the pool much more than waiting in line at Denny's.B|

I like the caves myself - there is one just north of Austin and one south..

There's always Six Flags amusement park in Arlington if you are into roller coasters and stuff. And like other people have mentioned - the Schlitterbahn water park. Go there during the week though - its packed on weekends. You can also usually get discount "coupons" to both parks on Coke cans during that time of year...

While you're here you do have to eat at least once at a Dairy Queen, and at least once at a Whataburger. You just do.

We always travel with our own food -- then when someone is hungry, you can pretty much just eat.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

While you're here you do have to eat at least once at a Dairy Queen, and at least once at a Whataburger. You just do.

And get a burger and a shake at Braums (before leaving N. Texas, they're aren't any south of Hillsboro or Corsicana).

Hi nigel,

Since no one has mentioned it, see what is playing at the Ft. Worth Opera House ( I think that is the name of it ). The Bass Family put a lot of money into it for renovation/building/etc.

A VERY nice place and they might have something playing for the entire family.

I'm not from TX but have spent some time in DFW area on business over the years.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Make sure y'all go back to Blighty with a Texas accent; you'll stand out in the crowd. :P

Like Wendy stated, very hot that time of year! Not sure if your budget allows, but a stop at Schlitterbahn water park in New Braunfels, TX (between Austin and San Antonio) is a must.

Have fun and welcome to Texas!

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/

thanks for all the replies.

1) Food thanks we are planning to picnic etc alot but eat at a mid-range/low cost restaurant once a day so my wife feels like she's getting a holiday as well:D

2) Yes the Waterpark is why we will be down at San Antonio

3) Heat is a major concern for the kids - they are "proper english" and 25C is "hot". We grew up in Africa so 40C without Aircon is "nice". The plan was to do early morning/late afternoon and then either travel or pool/swim mid-day.

4) Thanks for the feedback on SUV/minivan we want space for the kids and from the rental places a basic SUV is slightly cheaper than a minivan - but we'll probably swap based on this feedback, it'll also help reduce the fighting.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

There are toll roads around Dallas/Ft. Worth. If you're heading from Ft. Worth to Dallas and not paying attention you could find yourself on one, but using the website Justin posted you could probably avoid them.

Also, based on my experience, the toll roads, especially in Dallas, are worth the cost. Being able to take the GBT and avoid the traffic mess at I-635 and I-75 is well worth the dollar or two it costs to drive it.

If you're an avid beer drinker, the Flying Saucer in Ft. Worth is great, and it's right down the road from the Bass Hall. It's not really a family-friendly place, but it's clean, well-kept, and has around 200+ different beers available.

You could always check out the Jones-mahal (Cowboys Stadium) if you want to get out of the heat for a bit and see what billionaire-level compensation looks like. :P

There is a new toll road around Austin that I would highly recommend taking on your venture south.

The 130 loop on the east side of Austin.

As a former Austinite (damn I miss that place[:/]B|), it should be near completion.

Maybe some locals can chime in on that...

One true Texas experience not to miss out on if you are in or passing through the Austin area is stopping for barbecue. My favorites are Smitty's in Lockhart and City Market in Luling. Both are not far outside Austin and can easily be fit into heading from that area down towards San Antonio. I've had barbecue all over Texas and all over the country. There is tons of really decent and even really excellent barbecue out there, but so far these two places take the cake for the combination of amazing food and unbeatable ambiance. If I had to choose one for an out of towner only stopping once I would go for Smitty's. http://www.smittysmarket.com/history1.htm
Killing threads since 2004.

Hard 8 in Stephenville is always a good choice for the good stuff! That'll get him in Dublin Dr. Pepper country (Dr. Pepper still made with Imperial Sugar). That also puts him close to Glen Rose for the Dinosaur foot prints at the state park.:)
Too bad Eagle Flight Skydiving closed, or he could have jumped in Granbury while he was there...although there is still an active drive in movie theater he could visit there!

I went to school in Stephenville and did my student teaching in Glenrose and i have never heard of Hard 8. Of course I worked in the meat science lab. so we had our own source of meat for cooking!:P:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.