Boris73

How many of you jump without an AAD?

Tom Piras was a former world 4-way champion and
co-organizer of several world freefall formation records.
Over 13,000 jumps.

If I was doing some things in the sport, like competition RW or something similar, etc., I would consider wearing one, maybe? I realize the risk is there on the jumps I do, but its at an exceptional level for me compared to other more out of your control situations.

Tom Piras was on a non competitive fun jump with some low timers. One of them slid below Tom and dumped. The same kind of crap that happens on weekend fun jumps all the time. [:/]

I appreciate your independence and confidence in your abilities. I have a lot of confidence in my abilities too, but I prefer to jump an AAD in the same way that I wear my seatbelt when I drive. :)

Shit, I always mess up my posts'. I'm not saying my abilities are good enough to keep me safe from others, or that they are good at all. I am just willing to take that risk.

When I say, "Of course, being mentally and physically prepare is key. I definatly not reckless with preparation and equipment though. It would be stupid to go due to negligence."; I was not referring to jumping without out an AAD because I have the abilities to so, or that I prepare for it. I was just referring to the risky jumps that I sometimes do in general, and how I like to be prepared for that type of jump, and not to be totally reckless. The x factors still comes into play, but I don't mind the risk.

Someone did mention kids. If I had a kid, I would were one, but would not cut out things such as BASE or high risk jumps. The AAD would just help minimize the unknown variables in my risk taking.

-tj

Edit to add: You never know, I may change my outlook on life once i'm looking at my kid in the face for the first time.:)
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

Edit to add: You never know, I may change my outlook on life once i'm looking at my kid in the face for the first time.

Or like me....you'll toss the skidlid, pencil the reserve and burn a d00b on the way to altitude! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

what about the risk you pose to others

unconcious jumper above a landing aread, football field, basball stadium. tresidential area.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

unconcious jumper above a landing aread, football field, basball stadium. tresidential area.

Again...1st one to the crater gets all the good stuff! :)
if'n ya gunna crater at a football game dont hit MY team:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The x factors still comes into play, but I don't mind the risk.

That's a clearer representation of what you meant. My tolerance for risk has changed over the years too. From riding street bikes without helmets to violating a few BSR's in my day to many other activities, I find myself being more safety conscious than before. Maybe it's old age, maybe it's because of too many funerals. I don't know. I'm glad we're free to make certain choices for ourselves. Just try to be wise in your counsel to others. ;)

my friend turns it off on even days and on on odd days..
he says it saves the battery...

:D
If he only turned it on for - I dunno, let's say the last Saturday of the month and his birthday - that battery would probably last forever! Or at least, as long as he had a use for it...

my friend turns it off on even days and on on odd days..
he says it saves the battery...

:D
If he only turned it on for - I dunno, let's say the last Saturday of the month and his birthday - that battery would probably last forever! Or at least, as long as he had a use for it...

They'll last at least until the mandatory battery change, oh hang on so do mine:|:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I did my first 800 or so jumps without one and never gave it a second thought. My then girlfriend didn't like it and bought me a Cypres without telling me, or I'd probably still be without an AAD now! I'd still happily jump without during a service, or if borrowing a non-equipped rig.

I do know of a couple of saves at my home dropzone alone, though - not just low pulls, but proper out cold or incapacitated jumpers. When that happens to people you know, it makes the possibility of it happening to you a bit more real.

I did my first 800 or so jumps without one and never gave it a second thought. My then girlfriend didn't like it and bought me a Cypres without telling me, or I'd probably still be without an AAD now!

Wow.. That is a great gift - she must have cared a lot about you or had shitloads of money!! :D:D

My Cypres expired last year. It hurt my wallet to get a new one, but I felt better about having that extra little bit of safety if everything else fails...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

The x factors still comes into play, but I don't mind the risk.

That's a clearer representation of what you meant. My tolerance for risk has changed over the years too. From riding street bikes without helmets to violating a few BSR's in my day to many other activities, I find myself being more safety conscious than before. Maybe it's old age, maybe it's because of too many funerals. I don't know. I'm glad we're free to make certain choices for ourselves. Just try to be wise in your counsel to others. ;)

I do advise up coming students to waer one, and just explain thats its my choice that I dont wear. I definately don't try to convince them not to.

Again...1st one to the crater gets all the good stuff! :)

definately a possibly, but landing on a house or tailgating BBQ pit is more likely because jump run is not over the field.;)

Airtward, someone has got dibs on my reserve already, so back off. :P

I always jump with my cypress just in case I get knocked out by some yahoo on a zoo load. ANd to those of you doubters who think AADs are unreliable - yes theoreticly that is possible they dont work. But when mine was nearing its 4-year check I set the firing alt to about 2.5 and tested it in real life. I'm sure it works and that my reserve opens fast and hard (thats what she said).

Nipple Boy
A-19820
"Safety First! Fun Forever!"

You DO know that you have to increase the firing altitude of your cypres by 100 feet every 3.5 months (or 2.8 months for cypres2) to compensate for slower activation induced by loss of battery charge, don't you? :|

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Hi bor,
Like Jim says. "No" Nuf' said.

No black box, no "Jesus cord," no RSL, no "sky hook!" Just a plain ole' vanilla M-5 Mirage with the standard (large 3-rings) hardware.

...Gasp.... "No Jesus cord, man?!"... Are you an atheist, for God's sake?!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

You DO know that you have to increase the firing altitude of your cypres by 100 feet every 3.5 months (or 2.8 months for cypres2) to compensate for slower activation induced by loss of battery charge, don't you? :|

Oh. That means mine won't fire until I've made a crater several hundred feet deep. :|

Hi bor,
Like Jim says. "No" Nuf' said.

No black box, no "Jesus cord," no RSL, no "sky hook!" Just a plain ole' vanilla M-5 Mirage with the standard (large 3-rings) hardware.

...Gasp.... "No Jesus cord, man?!"... Are you an atheist, for God's sake?!

Hi pup,
Yup "No Jesus Cord!!" aka "Last hope rope!!" In the old barnstorming daze of hard cones and grommets and chest pack reserves got put on top of the main, "Piggyback," when the ripcord pulled sometimes they were known to "cone lock" and "Total Malfunction!!" So someone attached a piece of red MIL-C-5040, Type III, 550lb. test cord to an eyelet on the top reserve flap, tucked some excess in the bungee, routed the rest over the shoulder to the Reserve Ripcord handle!! "SO!" when you pulled the reserve ripcord and it totaled, you yelled,"OH JESUS, OH JESUS!!!!!!" and tugged on the red, so named,"Jesus Cord!!" Search the forums for "Jesus Cord" and read other interesting senarios!! Besides "cone lock," there was also "Loop lock" and don't forget "Brain Lock!!!"

Howz the old sayin' go about no atheists in foxholes??.....or high speed at a grand or below without benefit of canopy!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

My Cypres expired last year. It hurt my wallet to get a new one, but I felt better about having that extra little bit of safety if everything else fails...

Vskydiver and I own a pair of $1200 paperweights. When they died we held a Vigil for them.;)

Awesome. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban