regulator

Wingsuit flier recovers from broken back

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262460/Daredevil-makes-return-jump-4-000ft-peak-recovering-100mph-fall.html

A daredevil base jumper who survived a 6,000ft fall has returned to the skies just 12 months after his horrific injury.

Standing 4,000ft above the ground at the top of Mount Trento in northern Italy, James Boole completed an incredible comeback as he soared for one mile over the open plains.

Reaching speeds of up to 100mph the Staffordshire-born skydiver hurtled through the clear skies before opening his parachute 500ft above the ground.

'There was a good mixture between nervousness and excitement," said James, 32.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262460/Daredevil-makes-return-jump-4-000ft-peak-recovering-100mph-fall.html#ixzz0js9IHXqU

'That said I still had some Elvis knee knocking going on as I stood on the cliff edge.

'But as I came into land my parachute I felt ecstatic, it was great.'

James has made a miraculous recovery after his parachute failed to open during a wingsuit flight in Kamchatka, Russia on Good Friday last April.

The professional sky diver, camera man and extreme sports fan fell 6,000ft crashing into the snowy mountains at 100mph.

Breaking his back, cracking a rib, chipping several teeth and bruised a lung he amazingly lived to tell the tale.

Forced to wear a body brace for three months, the father of one never thought he would be able to jump again.

'Immediately after the accident, I really thought that I might never be able to jump again whether it be that I physically wouldn't be able or that I might lose interest or too scared to do it,' he said.

'Once the brace came off I started with physiotherapy and going to the gym.

'As I got all of my fitness back and I was as strong as I was before the accident, I made the decision that I definitely wanted to jump again.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262460/Daredevil-makes-return-jump-4-000ft-peak-recovering-100mph-fall.html#ixzz0js9EYdiI

Adopting a stringent training regime as well as physiotherapy James defied the odds to regain full fitness.

'When I told my family and friends that I wanted to jump again there was mixed reaction,' he said.

'Obviously my family were very concerned that I would want to do something like this again after such a serious accident.

'At the same time they know me and they understand what a big part parachuting plays in my life. So they were concerned but accepted that it is my decision.'

Spending 12 months mentally and physically preparing for the jump, James admitted he was a little nervous as he stood on the precipice.

'The thing I remember most as I stood at the top of the mountain was don't make any mistakes,' he said.

'I focused on doing things safely and I did a relatively straightforward jump and didn't exaggerate in anyway.

'As I got closer to the exit point we were hiking up the fear and the anxiety - there was a good mixture between nervousness and excitement to jump again.

'As I got closer to the jump point the fear went away and I became more and more excited to jump again. That said I still had some Elvis knee knocking going on as I stood on the cliff edge.

'Once my feet left the rock and I pushed away at first you have no speed at all because you are pushing off a solid object.

'As gravity pulls you downwards there is no sound and force on your body at all. After a few seconds you start to speed up and you start to hear the wind and the noise picks up.

'The suit inflates and then the force of the air hits your body. When that happened I realised I was back home.'

Touching down, James was filled with emotion.

'I landed feeling awesome,' he said. 'My friends were waiting for me and my wife and my daughter. I was full of energy and joy and I remembered how much I enjoy this.

'I couldn't wait to go back up and do another one.'

For James, who lives in Trento with his wife Kristina 24 and baby Melissa, 15 months, his return to action has helped draw a line under the last 12 months but he is ready to stop taking so many risks.

'Before making this jump I hadn't made any plans about what I would do jumping wise in the future,' he said.

'I wanted to do this one jump to really come full circle, to be where I was a year ago to get back on the horse so to speak.

'Now I would like to carry on jumping maybe a little bit less, doing things a little bit less risky than before but its still a major part of my life.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262460/Daredevil-makes-return-jump-4-000ft-peak-recovering-100mph-fall.html#ixzz0js995C4z

If i remember correctly he did have something out but he wasnt inflated. I saw the video back when it happened but am having a hard time finding it again. If i am remembering right he was filming another WS and they had worked out some sort of signal for pull time and it apparently never came.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

So would this be the first wingsuit flier to land without a parachute and still survive?

I don't think so... if memory serves, he went in with a snivel, right? (Or had linestretch?). Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my book he went for handle so it definitely doesn't count.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Please forgive me if I sound insensitive...I'm not...but how does something like this happen?

exit...wings inflate...looks at other flier...dude I can totally see your boner with this new HD camera...

looks forward...wholly shit!! deploy...linestretch..BAM!!

I know I STILL dont know SHIT...I'm not saying I know anything but appearantly this is why I need to have 250 jumps before I don a camera on my helmet...

lesson learned...maybe I'll even wait til 300 jumps now.

exit...wings inflate...looks at other flier...dude I can totally see your boner with this new HD camera...

looks forward...wholly shit!! deploy...linestretch..BAM!!

Well....just because these guys make it look easy doesnt mean it is. There have been at least a half dozen wingsuit base fatilities just from fucking up the first step you mentioned above.

By the way here is the thread on basejumper.com with the discussion, background, and video:

http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2907554;search_string=uncle%20charlie;#2907554
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Please forgive me if I sound insensitive...I'm not...but how does something like this happen?

He was concentrating on filming the other wingsuiter to whom he was flying relative, lost altitude awareness and pulled low.

Here's the thread on the incident:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3832643;search_string=boole;#3832643

If i remember correctly he did have something out but he wasnt inflated. I saw the video back when it happened but am having a hard time finding it again. If i am remembering right he was filming another WS and they had worked out some sort of signal for pull time and it apparently never came.

If it is the same clip I saw, his parachute performed perfectly. His Brain was out to lunch, opened at abotu what looked like 8 feet...his body was still moving forward, legs snapped in front...from line streach , Then Bang...snow...

I plan on using this to my advantage...I've thought that for a while that I could strap a camera 'just to film my jumps' wasn't a big deal and then saw the video posted here before where someone with low jump numbers (I'm sure this guy was very experienced ...but hey it happened to him) had a cypres fire from 'trying to get the perfect shot'. I will do what the experienced jumpers here (and my instructors) and try to get good on my belly before I progress to anything else that will cause a distraction on my skydive. The best part of this whole story was that he survived and was flying again a year later.

If it is the same clip I saw, his parachute performed perfectly. His Brain was out to lunch, opened at abotu what looked like 8 feet...his body was still moving forward, legs snapped in front...from line streach , Then Bang...snow...

Exactly. So Corliss can still go ahead and "be the first!" - or chicken out. ;)

Exactly. So Corliss can still go ahead and "be the first!" - or chicken out. ;)

or become a shave headed pile of Mush!

One more thing:

...after his parachute failed to open...

:S:S

Is this like the Unified Theory of Everything, that no matter what happens in skydiving/parachuting, the whuffo press ALWAYS has to use this phrase to describe it, no matter how wrong? OK, rant over.

I still wonder if the FAA went after the pilot for allowing two poeple to jump with only one parachute each!

I don't think they care about the FAA in Russia.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I still wonder if the FAA went after the pilot for allowing two poeple to jump with only one parachute each!

I don't think they care about the FAA in Russia.

Ooops....I was stupid!:S