WatchYourStep

Poweblocks vs. Bowflex Selectech

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Looking at getting a pair for the home to add to the workout equipment.

Appreciate any feedback. Both sets are cheaper than buying the individual dumbbells and I alternate exercises enough that I need a wide range of weight.

Thanks

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Don't go with either.. Compound and isolated rep exercises are great for the purposes they serve, but to get faster, stronger, and in the best shape you can be go with crossfit. Check out crossfit.com (the main site) and browse around their mindset of fitness. Look up other affiliates in your area.
I have been crossfitting for about a year now with a buddy on our own and have made huge gains in strength, endurance, work capacity, etc..
We do everything out of our garage (see pic). RogueFitness.com has great starter packages.. Bar, bumper plates, rings, kettlebells, ropes, med balls..
It's high intensity training paired with ever changing functional movement - Metabolic Conditioning, gymnastics, and olympic weightlifting. Loads different than anything you've probably seen in a gym (i.e. oly-lifts, dropping weights, groups of people yelling and encouraging everyone including the last person to finish)

It is not always fun, getting bruised and bloodied definitely comes with some of the workouts (but those who do it learn to love/get addicted to that side of it). And the competition aspect of it can't be beat!

Just my 2¢ about something that has worked for me ;)

"Good rule of thumb; is what you are doing the EASIEST for You? Because if it is, it ain't going to work for the people around you."

I bough some powerblocks for cheap a couple years ago. They do what it says on the box. Cant complain about them, tho 45lbs is somewhat limiting. If that enough for you, shop around... I'm sure I paid about $100 for them.
Remster

I've owned the 90-lb Powerblocks for over 10 years, they've been great. The only downside is the actual dimensions, when you're using 90 lbs (or up to 140 with the expansion kit, I think) they're a little larger footprint than regular dumbbells, so it makes you modify your form somewhat. Even with that issue, they're way better than any of the other "adjustable" weights on the market. Oh, one other potential issue: If you're one of those guys that always drops your weights on the floor at the end of a set, you'll probably break them. :)
Good luck, hope they work out for ya!

Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Ditto what jumpslo said. CrossFit is THE best program you can do to reach a level of fitness that looks impossible to most people. The best part is, you don't even have to join a CF gym, although I personally recommend it. All you need is a gym with a good pullup bar, and you're pretty much set. Go to http://www.crossfit.com and check out the main page, the exercises and demos section, and the forums. The CF community is great, with everybody having different sets of goals, but using the same means to get there. In fact, CrossFit is the main workout regimen for the Navy SEALs, Marines, and other military/law enforcement/fire department personnel. Regarding my own well-being, having been a fat kid throughout high school, CrossFit is one of the best things I've discovered in my life. You cannot go wrong.

P.S. The website's free.

BTW. Jumpslo, your gym looks pretty good. Love the scoreboard!
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Regardless of how good of a program crossfit is, it doesn't really have anything to do with dumbell selection.

That's because we rarely use dumbbells :P...
Kettlebells are much more effective...;)

"Good rule of thumb; is what you are doing the EASIEST for You? Because if it is, it ain't going to work for the people around you."

BTW. Jumpslo, your gym looks pretty good. Love the scoreboard!

Thanks man! We are constantly writing on that thing and using it to post times/weights if we don't have the time to do the workout together. RogueFitness has a crazy good deal on an entire package with free shipping and a Burgener bar.

Definitely agree with you on joining a box though. You can't beat the enormous amount of knowledge and coaching that goes into an affiliate.. Let alone the support of other members.

Thanks guys. While Crossfit is a great exercise program, it's not what I'm looking for. I've had a few people come in as crossfit athletes to train for rowing. They are typically in very good shape (looking wise) and have a great anaerobic threshold. Plus they know how to use a rowing machine, however the majority of them can't do long steady state pieces and in rowing that's a big part of it.

I have no desire to have a huge bench or major squats. I'm a little guy and I like that. I'd much rather take out the road bike for a 60 mile ride or get on the water for a 20K row. The weights for me are just a secondary exercise option.

Crossfit is good for some things, but it's not the best solution for everything.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

. I'm a little guy and I like that. .

Well thats not what i heard, but anyway!!!!!

Why not wait until school is about to let out and do the dumpster drive, thos KU students are about to get rid of all the crud they can't take home and I am sure you can find some free workout equipment around town!

xoxo little guy.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

+1 on Crossfit. I'm still running with the pups, but gaining all the time.
At 47, I've always been physically active but never really athletic, Crossfit and a good diet is the best thing I have found. I don't belong to a (crossfit) gym (yet) but either do the WOD as Rx'd when I can, or scale/sub as closely as possible from the BrandX website.
I've been crossfitting for almost two months, and already people are noting the difference.

Machines and gimmicks are the enemy.

You can get started for virtually nothing. All you need is on the website.

Todays workout - Overhead squats 5+5+5+5+5+5+5 - Post weights to comments.

Love it.

Easy Does It

I'm a little guy and I like that.

That's fine.. But getting stronger and increasing aerobic/work capacity will transfer over positively..

Pat Barber
Weight 160lbs
Clean and Jerk 245lbs
And this was awhile ago
http://library.crossfit.com/premium/video/CrossFitJournal_BurgPatzOleyWorkoutCJ.wmv?e=1270586374&h=02524545e4c7e680cc48f35624c19c80