moodyskydiver

New pet help (long)

Ok, folks I'm looking for some suggestions, tips etc. Heres the deal: My dog passed away a little over a year ago. Shortly thereafter I was inundated with free puppy offers, my family wanted to buy another for me etc. but I felt I needed time to grieve and wasnt really ready to "replace" my lost buddy.

So here I am today, seriously considering and researching information on English Bulldogs. I have had experience with this breed but I'm always willing to educate myself further. I've lived with a Bully in my home when I was younger that we fostered for a rescue agency. I've "dog sat" one for a friend while he was on vacation and one of my absolute best friends owns one and we are always giving him attention or talking about her little man. I know this breed has a propensity for specific health issues like respiratory/sinus and issues concerning the formation of the soft palate in the mouth etc.

Anyway, I've checked around with animal shelters and animals at risk foundations in my area and the surrounding counties but no dice. I've sent about a dozen emails and voice messages to English Bulldog rescue organizations, foster homes and adoption agencies and have yet to receive a reply. I've looked in classified ads online and in newspapers/breeders magazines and breeder lists but my lord they can be seriously expensive! The average price I've seen for a puppy is about $1200. Yes, I know "you get what you pay for" and most of the cheaper listings are more than likely puppy mills which I will NOT use or give money to. And yet another issue is that there is currently a huge number of puppy scams that list puppys for sale and want you to wire money to so they can "ship" the dog to my location and I'm not going to do that because #1 the funds would be insecure/uninsured and I'd never hear from them again once they had my $ and #2 I know there are safe, caring shipping agencies out there that do this all the time but I just think shipping puppies around all over the place could be very scary and stressful for a pup. If I cant meet them/pick the pup up in person and meet the seller I'm not buying.

I just want a good dog (puppy or adolescent/young adult) that is healthy, has the traditional personality traits/looks of this breed that can be my companion. I do not care to have a champion bloodline because I dont intend to breed it.I dont really even care if it has papers. The only reason I would appreciate those things is for family/hereditary health concerns.My big requirements are:

1. good health
2. personality/companion ability
3. sociability
4. good with children of all ages (my sister's kids)
5. good with other animals (dogs, cats etc)

So with that being said, what should I do? Any tips, advice or suggestions? any refrence material or guidelines? personal experience that you're willing to share? Where should I look? who should I talk to? What do you consider the big "dos" and "don't" ?

I live in North central Texas (Dallas area) but would be willing to travel a reasonable distance to find my new furry friend.Sorry for the epically long post.:$

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Amber,

We have had such great luck with rescue mutts. We have 3 rescues now, and 2 were brought home from Cozumel, Mexico. Both are awesome dogs. Just a thought. So many dogs are euthanized for lack of homes. And way cheaper than getting a specific breed.

Doc
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Amber,

We have had such great luck with rescue mutts. We have 3 rescues now, and 2 were brought home from Cozumel, Mexico. Both are awesome dogs. Just a thought. So many dogs are euthanized for lack of homes. And way cheaper than getting a specific breed.

Doc

+1 :)

My big requirements are:

1. good health
2. personality/companion ability
3. sociability
4. good with children of all ages (my sister's kids)
5. good with other animals (dogs, cats etc)

So with that being said, what should I do? Any tips, advice or suggestions?

Here is an advice and you may not like it. I can't even fathom why anybody would even consider spending hundreds or thousands for a breed that's riddled with health issues. Honestly I feel like a broken record.

If you are looking for a dog that meets your requirements go to your local shelter or go to www.petfinder.com and save a life. How is that for a suggestion?

Yes and flame away. I don't care.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

after doing a bunch of reseach, we settled on a golden retriever for the family dog. she's definately lived up to our expectations.

we were given a standard poodle, and surprisingly she was a perfect family dog as well. her temperment is nothing like the little ankle biter poodles, and she doesn't shed. she's incredible friendly, great with kids, doesn't give a crap about chasing cats, and loves other dogs. every standard poodle owner i've talked to has had the same experience. we won't be getting another dog for a long, long time, but when we do it will be a standard poodle.

at one time we adopted a dog from the shelter. he bit one of my kids so he had to go back.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Yes and flame away. I don't care.

No.No flamming here. I appreciate your candor and understand and respect your (and everyone else's) strong opinions and passionate convictions on the subject.Besides, I opened myself up for this type of response when I asked for people's opinion.

I would like to point out that in my origional post I specifically said that not only have I fostered dogs of this breed in the past from rescue groups, but I have in my search gone to/contacted shelters, rescue organizations, animals at risk groups, and adoption agencies before I ever considered buying one. I also volunteered at an animal shelter back when I was in college. So I know where you're comming from.

So thank you for your reply and yes, flame away. I don't care.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Amber,

Doc

+2!:)

Why are you limiting yourself to just one breed?

There's lots of dogs that have all the qualities you want, except the appearance.

I'm not a "Little Dog" person at all. I used to believe that the best use for the yappy little things was to hit them over the head, tie them to a stick and use them as a mop (Yes, I'm joking).

That changed after Skyler came into my life, via my now ex-wife.

Dogs are dogs (mostly - there are some breed/class traits you may want or want to avoid).

My best suggestion would be to go to the local shelter and walk through the dog section.
I'll bet fairly heavily there will be at least one you can fall in love with.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

One of my best dogs was a Brittany that the owner had invested thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours in only to find out the dog just was not going to make it as a show dog. He was offered to me for free under the condition I had him neutered.
Though physically he was an ideal speciman of the breed, mentally he never matured.
He remained, for 13 years, dumber than a bag of hammers.
But he was sooooo gentle with kids and as loyal as any dog I ever had.
Keep checking with breeders, rescues, handlers, trainers, etc. Let it be known what you are looking for and what you are willing to take. As in the case with my Brittany, it is often the imperfections that make the dog special to us.
Best of luck in your search! :)

HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

While I am out here in CA, I have a client that runs NorCal Bulldog Rescue. Every time I am in there they are trying to give me one!

I wont try and talk you out of getting a Bully! It sounds as though you are fully aware of what comes along with one as far as health.

I can give you all of their contact info and who would be the best people to contact if you want. Like I said, they are out here but I would vouch for them 200%. Besides, it is run out of a veterinary practice... :)
They have very reasonable adoption fees as well.

As far a Standard Poodles.... I think that they are a very under appreciated dog. They are wicked smart and very protective. They have actually started to use them for guide dogs because of temperament, intelligence and loyalty. I would love to get one but I need to make more money to afford the groomer!

1. Knowing your home situation, take a walk through a shelter and see if a dog calls to you. Your lifestyle and environment is suitable for many different breeds, and you may find one that has the bulldog look and a great personality.

2. Call around to breed rescues nationally and see if one will waive their home visit requirement (if they have one).

3. Go to a reputable breeder. If you do, you WILL get a dog with championship lines, because good breeders don't breed dogs without those lines. You can get a "pet quality" pup for far less than a show quality pup (and most breeders won't part with those anyway unless they know you very well). All "pet quality" means is that the dog is not up to breed standard for some reason (too big, too small, stature not quite perfect, markings not quite perfect, etc) and a good breeder will tell you why the dog is pet quality rather than show quality so you can make an informed decision. "Papers" are not so much the issue as any dog that is purebred (no matter how far from breed standard they are) can be papered. "Papers" are something backyard breeders who breed without any regard to bettering the breed, the dogs' genetics or health use to legitimize themselves. If you see "AKC Registered Bulldogs" advertized, run. A good breeder will register their dogs and won't advertise it because it's assumed. The dogs MUST be papered because the dogs are shown. Do not bother going through a breeder unless you are willing to pay a lot for it, because the good ones tend to charge quite a bit (around the $1200 you quoted, or more), and the bad ones are much cheaper because they aren't in the breeding/showing business, they're in the puppy selling business.

Hope that helps!

I would love to get one but I need to make more money to afford the groomer!

Or you can get the proper tools and talk to people who show or groom poodles and learn to do it yourself. I groom my dog... he looked a bit silly the first few times, but I've got the hang of it now. The tools were a bit of an investment, but far less than paying for grooming over a year or two. Papillons are pretty easy to groom, though... they just need a trim every so often.

If you're not going to show a poodle, you can just keep them in a "puppy cut" where the hair is all one length, which is a lot simpler to maintain.

I would love to get one but I need to make more money to afford the groomer!

Or you can get the proper tools and talk to people who show or groom poodles and learn to do it yourself. I groom my dog... he looked a bit silly the first few times, but I've got the hang of it now. The tools were a bit of an investment, but far less than paying for grooming over a year or two. Papillons are pretty easy to groom, though... they just need a trim every so often.

If you're not going to show a poodle, you can just keep them in a "puppy cut" where the hair is all one length, which is a lot simpler to maintain.

And it is much better for the male poodle's self esteem. :)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Have you looked at Miniature English Bulldogs? They are still big by most miniature standards. (40ish lbs) I was looking into them a couple years ago. In addition to being smaller they tend to not have many of the same health issues thats the regular English Bulldogs have.

Unfortunately they cost even more than regular EB's because there are only a few breeders in the US. The one i was looking at was asking between $2500 and $3500 depending on the litter. (And there was a BIG waiting list.)
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero