aussiechick

RV Rental

I need to rent an RV in the Chicago area.
I want something small, and I'm having trouble getting companies to listen to what I'm asking for.
I'm tired of sending emails requesting a quote for something that accomodates 2 people ( which they seem to have on their websites) only to recieve a quote for something that sleeps 7!

Can anyone recommend a company in the area that I can deal with?

Only thing that really sleeps just two people are little tow behind campers like pop-ups or little teardrop style campers which require an SUV or truck to pull them. Anything self propelled will tend to sleep more then that due to the way RV's are marketed here in the States. Camper Vans are not popular at all and I rarely see anyone renting one. Class C motorhomes are the smallest of the self propelled and they tend to sleep 5-7 at least.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What are you wanting to do with it? Are you planning on going to a DZ and staying? Reason I ask is I would suggest renting a van and sleeping in there if you don't need the facilities. Phree is right. The smallest self propelled RV will be a Class C which will sleep a minimum of 5, probably more. I've seen what is termed an RV in Europe...nothing like that here.

Beware of added charges like mileage and generator time. These can really add up quick. BTW..RV stands for 'Ruined Vacation'.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Cruise America. They have a 19 footer that sleeps up to 3. We rented a trailer from them to stay at ZHills over holidaus with my wife and kids and they are very decent. try the number (800) 671-8042
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

I need to rent an RV in the Chicago area.
I want something small, and I'm having trouble getting companies to listen to what I'm asking for.
I'm tired of sending emails requesting a quote for something that accomodates 2 people ( which they seem to have on their websites) only to recieve a quote for something that sleeps 7!

Can anyone recommend a company in the area that I can deal with?

the smallest RV's sleep 4..most 6 to 7 .Unless you only want a van, they are offering the smallest most rentals carry!

Cruise America. They have a 19 footer that sleeps up to 3. We rented a trailer from them to stay at ZHills over holidays with my wife and kids and they are very decent. try the number (800) 671-8042

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/

We've use Cruise America several times and been happy, the small one (19'?) was comfortable with just my wife and I, it's pretty cramped with the kids in there too.

If the OP is wanting to see a bit of the country, check into the repositioning deals Cruise America has...minimum charge, you pay mostly for just the gas to get it to where they want it, and they give ya a couple weeks to do it so plenty of sight seeing along the way.

We've taken them across country, down the west coast, down from Alaska...all fun and inexpensive trips.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks, waiting for Cruise America to get back to me.

What I'm looking for is classified as a class B.
Most of the websites have them which is so frustrating, I just can't seem to book one.

There are 100's of companies in Australia that do them.
They can come with kitchens, bathrooms, TV's the whole lot, they just do it as compactly as possible.

We basically only need it to park at Skydive Chicago for Summerfest. We'll hardly ever be in it!

Class B style units are not popular at all here in the states since Class C's are nearly the same price and offer a lot more option and room. If someone has one they will have an extremely limited in their quantity and you might just be seeing the lack of units.

Small Class C units are just as nice and should be about the same cost.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Most of the websites have them which is so frustrating, I just can't seem to book one.

They can come with kitchens, bathrooms, TV's the whole lot, they just do it as compactly as possible.

We basically only need it to park at Skydive Chicago for Summerfest. We'll hardly ever be in it!

Hey chick, you can always do what I did and Rent a car and go to REI and buy some Camping kit, Tent bed etc.. Shit like that is cheap as hell in the states, and it will work out WAY cheaper than the Campervan.
I jusat buy a bigish tent and leave it with friends when i go.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hey chick, you can always do what I did and Rent a car and go to REI and buy some Camping kit, Tent bed etc.. Shit like that is cheap as hell in the states, and it will work out WAY cheaper than the Campervan.

Try Walmart if you're really just going to get rid of it. You'll save a fortune.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yeah.. and that way you are only renting something small to drive on the wrong side of the road ;)

Yeah.. and that way you are only renting something small to drive on the wrong side of the road ;)

Hey we did great, no crashes and no one died directly as a result of my driving.B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hey we did great, no crashes and no one died directly as a result of my driving.B|

Hell, I had no problems driving on the left in the Bahamas, but the roundabouts were a little tricky. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

if rei is cheap as hell then that shit must be really expensive down there.

i agree with the other poster that if your going to do it that way and give it away, go to walmart. if you plan on keeping the gear and using it alot, spring for the rei stuff.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I've spent the last 15 years tenting it at boogies.
I've got all the kit and I usually lug it all with me.

But I'm getting too old and cranky for that shit and would like a bit of comfort these days!

I'm pretty happy with the Cruise America quote for the Compact RV.

Thanks everyone!

But I'm getting too old and cranky for that shit and would like a bit of comfort these days!

Thanks everyone!

Wanna take me with ya :)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks everyone!

lot to be said for peace an quite and yoru own shower...not to mention a shitter when ya need it, Hard to cook micro food in a tent!;)

I traveled the country with nothing but a tent and my motorcycle for years, Now we do most of our serious travel in an RV...(yep pussed out) we still travel by bike, but never in a hurry, only when we can kick it and do 300 mile days!