mnealtx

Baking a Bonehead

Just got my Bonehead Guner today (thanks, Bonnie and Aaron!) and it's a bit snug front to back (yes, I tried it on at work, and yes, they laughed).

Question: I know that baking it will let the liner re-shape to fit better, but will it have any effect on the shell?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Just got my Bonehead Guner today (thanks, Bonnie and Aaron!)

I'm still waiting for my Mamba.....[:/]

Hopefully I shall have it soon...:)

That'll be next, for me.....just not right now.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Just got my Bonehead Guner today (thanks, Bonnie and Aaron!) and it's a bit snug front to back (yes, I tried it on at work, and yes, they laughed).

Question: I know that baking it will let the liner re-shape to fit better, but will it have any effect on the shell?

No, but you must remember that iyou must keep your head in it during the process for it to work.

Knew about having to keep mi cabeza grande in it while it cools... was hoping it would loosen the shell a bit, as pressure on the ear pieces flex the shell slightly in the desired direction....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Knew about having to keep mi cabeza grande in it while it cools... was hoping it would loosen the shell a bit, as pressure on the ear pieces flex the shell slightly in the desired direction....

Once a composite is cured, it will not reshape, at least not the epoxies that are used by bonehead. If the problem is that the shell is too small, then the helmet is mis-sized.If the helmet doesn't push uncomfortably when you have the liner out, then baking it should give you a perfect fit!

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Well, based on my experiences (3 boneheads), I have done significant re-shaping of bonehead helmets. Don't have a gunner, so maybe there is something special about it that I don't know about.

For cases of a crown shape difference, I have found that you certainly can reshape them. You can't take an inch out, but if your head is oval and the helmet is round, you can modify the shape of the helmet.

Or maybe I have just been changing the shape of my head.. :ph34r:

Oh, I could have so much fun with this one. But really your best bet is to read the instructions on boneheads web site as was recommended.

Now for a funny story. The best one I saw was (a now somewhat famous jumper) bake his helmet, put it on, close his head in a door then stuck his head in the freezer. He swears it worked like a charm. I usually don't recommend that proceedure, even though I was eager to assist with the proceedure.:)

Besides that guy also thought it was cool to wear a Bat Rack without the rack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Oh, I could have so much fun with this one. But really your best bet is to read the instructions on boneheads web site as was recommended.

Now for a funny story. The best one I saw was (a now somewhat famous jumper) bake his helmet, put it on, close his head in a door then stuck his head in the freezer. He swears it worked like a charm. I usually don't recommend that proceedure, even though I was eager to assist with the proceedure.:)

Besides that guy also thought it was cool to wear a Bat Rack without the rack.

Thanks for the replies, everyone... I tried the helmet on again last night and it's not as bad as it seemed at first. I still don't think I'd want to wear it for a couple hours, though.

I *AM* going to bake it, and hope it'll make a bit of difference with the shell itself.

Bonnie: Please note I said "Baking a Bonehead" and not "Baking *MY* Bonehead"!! :P:P:P
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

In all seriousness Mike, your helmet should fit snug, but not painfull.

Keep in mind that the padding will break down a little to conform to your head with wear.

But if you are experiencing any amount of pain, then it's too small. If the pain is in one spot in the back of your head and that is alleviated when you squeeze the sides together, then baking may do the trick. But only if it's a small amount.

If you really need to crank on it to get it to fit right, then you should exchange it for a larger size.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

In all seriousness Mike, your helmet should fit snug, but not painfull.

Keep in mind that the padding will break down a little to conform to your head with wear.

But if you are experiencing any amount of pain, then it's too small. If the pain is in one spot in the back of your head and that is alleviated when you squeeze the sides together, then baking may do the trick. But only if it's a small amount.

If you really need to crank on it to get it to fit right, then you should exchange it for a larger size.

Thanks, Bonnie -

There's two "pressure points" in the helmet, unbaked. Neither are painful, but I *CAN* feel them. One is almost at the bottom of the helmet in the back, and one is at the top of the forehead.

I haven't baked it yet, and I haven't worn it more than a couple minutes to "get a feel" for it. I'm hoping that baking it will relax the shell a tiny bit and make a difference in how it fits.

Helmet size is XXL... any larger and I'd have to go custom...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

From the Bonehead herself...bake the whole helmet and when you take it out, squeeze the ears between your knees and it will flex the helmet out front to back. (good excercise too) Hold the squeeze for as long as you can (until it cools) and it should be fine.
Let me know how it goes. Remember to turn off the oven before you put the helmet in.
Good luck:)
So all you folks know, "Bonehead" is the name of the COMPANY and not the particular helmet. We name them for a reason.:P

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

From the Bonehead herself...bake the whole helmet and when you take it out, squeeze the ears between your knees and it will flex the helmet out front to back. (good excercise too) Hold the squeeze for as long as you can (until it cools) and it should be fine.
Let me know how it goes. Remember to turn off the oven before you put the helmet in.
Good luck:)
So all you folks know, "Bonehead" is the name of the COMPANY and not the particular helmet. We name them for a reason.:P

Thanks, Tamaly!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Helmet size is XXL... any larger and I'd have to go custom...

We talked a few times here because we both have a big melon, before ordering my helmet i sent my actuel measurments (63cm, around 25") to Bonehead and they told they had nothing that would fit me.

So I went to 2Kcomposites that made a custom FF1 for me.

If you're in the US I think Skydance headgear can help you they make the Ion up to 25"...
http://www.skydanceheadgear.com/

hottamaly....

I wore the helmet for about an hour or so last night to see if it would "hot spot". It's wearable, but still just a bit snug at the top of the forehead and at the back of the skull.

I remember the baking instructions mention putting it on and pressing "down and toward the ears". When I do this with the helmet on, the flex in the shell takes the pressure points away. Would doing just the "normal" procedure for baking make enough flex to releive the pressure points, or would I still need to do the "knee squeeze"?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

the knee squeeze would be easier and would probable hold better. Just do what I said, you will be fine.;)

Yes'm! "Thighmaster" it is... once I schmooze the guy at the chow hall to let me use the oven...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Carbon fibers (shell) can definitely be reshaped a little when hot (baked), and if you keep them in that position while cooling down it will stay that way.
well the difference won't be much but it's noticable, at least my bonehead optik could be reshaped a little... :)
"George just lucky i guess!"

Carbon fibers (shell) can definitely be reshaped a little when hot (baked), and if you keep them in that position while cooling down it will stay that way.
well the difference won't be much but it's noticable, at least my bonehead optik could be reshaped a little... :)

I noticed when I was "test wearing" the Guner that just pressing the ear sections in toward my ears by about 1/2" or so was enough to "flex" the shell and relieve the pressure points.

I've not had a chance to schmooze up the chow hall manager to use the oven yet...but I will!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

---never pet a burning dog--- >>> that must be THE BEST signature I've ever seen ! Classic !

Phil.

-------------------------------------
When I learn new stuff, it pushes the old stuff out of my brain!