airtwardo

Hey car guys...HELP!

Sounds like the ignition switch. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt in thinking that you were depressing the brake. Some cars will not start unless you are. Otherwise, the switch.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Grrrr...about ready to give up!>:(

May have to just leave in the garage for a while...

Bad thing is we're headed to Greece in the morning and I really don't wanna leave the Z4 at the the airport for two weeks! :o[:/]B|

hey old man, they have taxis and shuttle busses now ya know;)

Yeah I know...and we're all of 15 minutes from the airport!

But I'm a cheap ole bastage, the idea of payin' more money to get to the airport than it costs to get to Europe just rubs me wrong! :P

Ok try this then. Get a buddy, wife, kid, whatever to sit in the driver seat and turn the key. While thay do that take a voltmeter and touch the pos to the wire on the starter that comes from the ignition (disconnect this wire from the starter to do this) and touch the neg side of the meter to ground. If the key is turned and no voltage supplied then its time to take apart the steering column and go from there.
Muff #5048

Dunno if this is related or not but ..... I had similar symptoms on a rental Dodge Caliber in Vegas. Long story short, it ended up being fuses in the fuse panel underneath the hood. I was told by the agent that sometimes they just "pop out" enough in the heat. All I had to do was pull each fuse and/or breaker in the panel and put it back in. That worked. I am mechanically competent but it would have been a LONG time before I got to that point on my own.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

My jeep did something similar a while back, and it turned out to be a sensor that checks the flywheel position. The sensor had gone out, and as a result, it shut down the electrical ... lights and all ok, but nothing from the key. The bit about the lock on your's make me think that's not your problem, but these days, you never know what systems they tie together.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I don't know how much I would concentrate on the steering lock. I know Chevy dropped steering wheel locks a few years ago. I was very surprised when I bought my new truck and the steering wheel didn't lock when I parked it so I took it back and they told me they had stopped using locks, thinking they were full of shit I asked other guys with new trucks ansd they said theirs didn't have them. Alot of vehicles have roll over sensors that will shut the vehicle down in the case that is is rolled over. Typically these used to just shut down the fuel pump, but they mave have made them more widespread in what they shut down. You also may have a fusable link to your starter gone. I'm not sure if newer chryslers still employ fusable links or not. You really need to get your hands on a wiring schematic and meter and go to town if you know how to use both effectively. If not I'd leave it to the pros. I'm an industrial electrician that spends most days with my head in automation and robotics panels. I can tell you I have seen inexperianced people spend hours and even days on electrical problems I found in about 10 miniutes through methodically following a schematic with my meter. Good luck!