Andy_Copland

Nascar

I bought a 30 lap NASCAR instructional package at Texas Motor Speedway a few years back which was pretty damn exciting, however, after 15 laps it got pretty monotonous.:| Still, it gives you a little more prespective of what its like to be inside a race car when watching on TV...........between the commercial breaks every five minutes which also gets pretty monotonous.:|

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Any race where the pit stops are such an important part of the final result is bullshit. They should do heats on just one tank of fuel leading up to a main event like some other types of racing. The breaks in the action are built in, there would be fewer cars on the track at one time, and there is the excitement of more than one checkered flag. Nobody has the attention span for a 500 mile race. I like racing, not pit stop competitions.

My understanding is that that if one mfg starts to dominate, they will add some drag to their vehicle to make sure the cars tend to run around in a huge pack. That is bullshit. They also shouldn't be allowed to put the mfgs model names on the cars (malibu, taurus, etc). 30-40 years ago there was some real connection, but now it is just false advertising.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I agree, it's really boring on TV, but go to a local paved short track that has regional NASCAR races (the minor leagues of NASCAR), sit about 10 rows back and watch mechanized gladiators bump, scrape and bash their way to the finish line. When the action starts on a beautiful summer night and you start smelling racing fuel, burning rubber and hot brakes while you're enjoying your favorite adult beverage and a tri-tip sandwich, it's no longer boring. Try it just once. Ahh, Stockton 99 is calling me to the next racing night.

Joe
simplify

dude " cooking with gas" how old are you? I've been cooking with gas for years. never heard of coleman stove? the new dual fuel ones you can even use unleaded OR white gas;) anyone else old enough to have seen a white gas pump?

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I never like Nascar until I saw a race in person in Dover, now I am hooked! In fact, we're going to Richmond in a couple of weeks and I can't wait!! Let's go racin' boys .....

You got tickets to RICHMOND??????????????????
I got a left nut I'd trade you for it!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

dude " cooking with gas" how old are you? I've been cooking with gas for years. never heard of coleman stove? the new dual fuel ones you can even use unleaded OR white gas;) anyone else old enough to have seen a white gas pump?

You're too late... I've already been called out on that one! :)

Don't get it.

Oval tracks? - what's to get ... LOOK OUT Left hand turn coming up!!!! ..... and another ..... oh and another.....YAWN

I guess its all a matter of what you're used to seeing on a regular basis. For me, F1 racing just seems like 80 laps of follow the leader and not to terribly interesting. I do greatly respect the skill it takes to participate at the top level of any type of automobile racing however.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Now if we are talking the US airforce taking me up in an F15-E... now we are cooking with petrol...gas....petrol... same thing.

Nope!.... you don't cook with petrol, or gasoline, (well, I suppose you could) ....you cook with gas (propane or natural gas)

Andy's a dickhead, the frase is "now we're cookin with deisel" but as he's from Canvey isle (Gas mark 7) he's got gas on the brain:ph34r:

Gone fishing

I like Nascar but dont watch much anymore. Like going to the races though! But the best racing there is, is dirt track!B| Worked on several pit crews for dirt track racers and greatly enjoyed it.

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I like Nascar but dont watch much anymore. Like going to the races though! But the best racing there is, is dirt track!B| Worked on several pit crews for dirt track racers and greatly enjoyed it.

Then you haven't been to Sebring "back in the day".......although I will say that half the people there didn't even know there was a race going on.....or even how they got there. I think it's cleaned up a lot in the last several years but it may still be dangerous to venture inside the "hairpin".

I agree, it's really boring on TV, but go to a local paved short track that has regional NASCAR races (the minor leagues of NASCAR), sit about 10 rows back and watch mechanized gladiators bump, scrape and bash their way to the finish line. When the action starts on a beautiful summer night and you start smelling racing fuel, burning rubber and hot brakes while you're enjoying your favorite adult beverage and a tri-tip sandwich, it's no longer boring. Try it just once. Ahh, Stockton 99 is calling me to the next racing night.

Joe

Totally agree. Something about being at an event "live". Goes for other sports others dis. I don't watch NASCAR on tv hardly at all, but love to attend a race now and again.B|

Hi John,

My latest issue of TIME magazine came yesterday and it has a rather large article on NASCAR and how they are losing sponsors and spectators.

Oh, and the lead photo showed some fat, beer gut dude with a brewski in his hand, standing on top of his motor home.

Perfect NASCAR descriptor. :S

JerryBaumchen

I prefer road course races to oval racing. But there is a lot of skill and concentration needed in oval racing (just as a lot of skill and concentration is needed in road racing).

I suspect some people like NASCAR because:

1) The cars are fast.
2) You see most of the track at the same time.
3) Rarely does someone built a large insurmountable lead.
4) There are a lot of crashes.

Formula One has the most technologically advanced cars and arguably the best drivers, but even Formula One occasionally suffers from the boring procession style of racing (though all four races this year have been very dynamic). My favorite form of racing is the mixed class Prototype and GT cars found at LeMans and the ALMS series (Grand Am also has a similar mixed class racing format). With these mixed classes there is constant passing going on throughout the race.

But like any sport, you have to be interested in the sport in order to watch it on TV. How many of us can watch golf on TV? I can't, but millions do. How many whuffos care about watching skydiving videos? Most of us have experienced the glossy eyes of our whuffo friends as we force them to watch videos of our jumps. I am a fan of auto racing and I have tried to watch NASCAR. But I can't. I watch 5 minutes of a race, I get bored and I switch channels. Or maybe it is all due to NASCAR's love of their beloved "Yellow" flag. Look JJ is beginning to build a lead with 5 laps left in the race. Oh look there is a sandwich wrapper on the track. Time for the "Yellow" flag, we don't want JJ running away with the race while the menacing sandwich wrapper is out there. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

BTW the racing from the video link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3y0tbdpcFc&playnext_from=TL&videos=WKobV7qfbqk

comes from the closing laps of last year's last race of the ALMS season out at Laguna Seca in CA and it is some of the best racing (IMHO) you will ever see. Better than anything NASCAR has to offer and even better than most F1 races. It was just two guys racing like their lives depending on winning and neither guy would back down.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yeah, if you want an unforgettable experience, go to an NHRA Nationals drag race. Even way up in the stands, the pressure waves from the cars will vibrate your eyeballs and blur your vision. Plus there's free access to the pits.

Best racing for a spectator is dirt sprint car racing like World of Outlaws.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

One race event that always captured my imagination due to it being raced on public roads and blistering speeds is the Isle Of Mann TT.

Being a time trial race you'd think it would be quite boring but you couldn't be more wrong. It is often surrounded by controversy due to the dangers, a little clip from wiki

***The future of the TT is always in doubt with regards to the safety, especially "Mad Sunday" when any member of the public can ride the mountain section of the course which is open one way from Ramsey to Douglas. The TT races are extremely dangerous because of the high speeds on very narrow, twisting streets, roads and lanes flanked by stone walls and even buildings. Between 1907 and 2009 (at the end of 2009 TT races period) there have been 227 deaths during official practices or races on the Snaefell Mountain Course (this number includes the riders killed during Manx Grand Prix and the Clubman TT races).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE7H6f9PVwk

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.