Teigen

LCD-TV

Hey guys, im in the process of moving to my own apartment, and im keen on swapping out my decade old 32inch TV with a new flatscreen.. I've been looking at the LG 47LH4000. Does anyone have this one? It seems to be a great tv for the price. But the only thing im concerned about is the USB port, which seems to only allow playback of mp3's and jpeg images. I would like to be able to hook up a drive with video. Is there an option in the tv that will open up for video playback?

Thanks in advance!

No TV will let you play back video over USB directly. There are too many codec issues to deal with. MP3 and JPG are industry standard that go back for years and the licensing for them is fairly cheap. a .mpg file may be one of dozens of formats and each needs a different decoder to play back correctly.

Best solution is something like a PS3 or XBox 360 that is able to do the decoding on the fly and is updated with all new codecs all the time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm not a big fan of LG. We purchased 23 of them at work in Oct of 2006 42 and 50+ inches depending on where they were going in the building.

9 of them did not last 3 years and they are not on 24/7 either. We took one down to the TV shop and they wanted $200 just to run diagnostic on it. Some would just shut off and then come back on for an hour and die and others just died. We took one apart looking for fuses and such but I think our plant guy determined that it was the power supply or distribution board in it that was shit.

It was enough to put me off from buying a flat panel TV since I don't watch that much.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I don't know about direct-play formats, but I got a 42 inch Samsung about 2 years ago and still love it.

Also, as they go thinner and thinner, the price on the 'regular' LCDs is dropping (so instead of an ultra-thin one you get one that's just thin).

For example:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+40%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9791235.p?id=1218175543621&skuId=9791235

vs

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+40%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LED-LCD+HDTV/9783579.p?id=1218173772681&skuId=9783579

I didn't look at the specs, and I'm sure there are some differences beyond the size (such as inputs, contrast ratio, etc.)...so I guess the question is how much that matters to you vs the price difference.

No TV will let you play back video over USB directly. There are too many codec issues to deal with. MP3 and JPG are industry standard that go back for years and the licensing for them is fairly cheap. a .mpg file may be one of dozens of formats and each needs a different decoder to play back correctly.

Best solution is something like a PS3 or XBox 360 that is able to do the decoding on the fly and is updated with all new codecs all the time.

I have LCD TV with LED lighting Samsung 55" UN55B8000 is also come in 46" UN46B8000

it uses an open source for the media control software and have posted the GPL and some people have allready tweaked it.

It had Network cat5 port built in and usb port and uses DNLA for comection to shared media devices , It supports AVI, MKV, MP4 and a hand full of other types I added a screen shot of all the file types.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/led/UN55B8000XFXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=features
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

That's really surprising since when I was looking not even 16 months ago word on the AV forums was support for most formats was not going to happen due to costs and the fact that most files on USB were pirated movies and video and the industry did not want to be seen as encouraging that behavior by doing direct support of it.

I am really impressed by the full list that Samsung seems to be supporting: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/learningresources/media2.0/usb_faq.html

Its still a partial list and a lot of the videos I'm made on my personal system would not work since they are WMV V10 and they don't have support for it or even Quicktime movies but its a great start and I'll keep it in mind for my family.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com