NickDG

Frankfurt Airport Status - Volcano?

No IFR flights were permitted in the most parts of Germany.

what is the status of VFR and skydiving operations ?

from what i heard yesterday, no skydiving in switzerland at least on saturday..

we are jumping here in Bex
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

A Weather guy on the beeb has just said that he does not see this ending any day soon... The volcano is still kicking out loads of shit and it's mostly heading towards mainland Europe and will likely be hanging around for a long time.

Hopefully the eruption does not go on as long as the Kilauea volcano;)

Passenger ships might be all the vougue again to get to and from Europe

pic

You people need to think outside of the box here.

If you look at the pic, you will see that there is clear
skies behind the volcano in Iceland.

While skydiving in Europe may be closed, Reykjavik may be open.

No way right now to get there though ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'll tell you what, farmers in Northern Europe and the Scandinavian Peninsula better be ready for some bumper harvests over the next few years. Few things are better for soil than a dusting of volcanic ash...good stuff.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Few things are better for soil than a dusting of volcanic ash...good stuff.

Really? I did not know that. Natures fertilizer?

A friend of mine in Montana was telling me about the bumper crops he was having for years after the Mt. St. Helens eruption. All that ash went east over the rest of Washington, Northern Idaho, past the continental divide to the plains of eastern Montana.
Make light!

Hi Gawain,

All that ash went east over the rest of Washington, Northern Idaho, past the continental divide to the plains of eastern Montana.

And continued until it circled the entire world. Came right back home. :P

I'm thinking this ash just might do the same; film at 11:00. B|

JerryBaumchen

I know you americans don't get much news coverage from Europe, but this is pretty big.

Here's a visual for ya:

http://met.no/ash/animasjon_1704.gif

Thats a map, you can see Iceland and Greenland outlined, western europe is covered in the ash.

This is a bigger crisis for commercial aviation than nine eleven, the airlines are losing billions every day.

The thing is that there is NO ONE is allowed to fly, not even paragliders. who wouldn't be affected by the ash anyway or ambulance helicopters, that probably would be fine too, and could save lives.

No one is stopping the BASE jumpers, though, because everyone knows that's a losing battle anyway.

If I get to fly to the states next sunday, I promise I'll be a better person. Donate to charity or something. Yes.

:S

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I know you americans don't get much news coverage from Europe, but this is pretty big.

Here's a visual for ya:

Thats a map, you can see Iceland and Greenland outlined, western europe is covered in the ash.

what does that mean ?

Objektet finnes ikke

Objektet du prøver å åpne eksisterer ikke.

Does anybody know about two PC-6es with ash damage in France? I heard some rumours about it, but no confirmed facts until now.

I read on the french forum www.wuza.com that Fretoy and Maubeuge stopped operating after finding ashes/sand in the air circuit of the turbines.

Switzerland just lengthened the no-fly rule until Monday at 20.00 local time.

No shit. Can't jump here, but even worse, a friend from Philly was scheduled to visit me yesterday morning. He rescheduled for next week...and at this point that's looking like a no-go too. >:(

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

No shit. Can't jump here, but even worse, a friend from Philly was scheduled to visit me yesterday morning. He rescheduled for next week...and at this point that's looking like a no-go too. >:(

Can you actually see/feel/notice the ashes or is it more of a precaution? Having a hard time to really figure out how bad it is.

Can you actually see/feel/notice the ashes or is it more of a precaution? Having a hard time to really figure out how bad it is.

The sky is hazy here today, but I don't think it's because of the ashes. Definitely no ashes on the ground that I've noticed. I think it's more of a precaution that the airlines are taking but they're losing so much $$ that I think they'll be back up in the air soon. I know that KLM and Lufthansa ran successful test flights and they're on a launching pad to get back in the air so as to stop the bleeding.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

The sky is hazy here today, but I don't think it's because of the ashes.

I think we ought to be getting some nice sunsets, but I haven't noticed any. However I can confirm, just by looking at the unblemished blue sky over the UK, that there ain't nobody flying yet. It actually looks a little odd without all those vapour trails...

Here's a visual for ya:

This is a bigger crisis for commercial aviation than nine eleven, the airlines are losing billions every day.

The thing is that there is NO ONE is allowed to fly, not even paragliders. who wouldn't be affected by the ash anyway or ambulance helicopters, that probably would be fine too, and could save lives.

No one is stopping the BASE jumpers, though, because everyone knows that's a losing battle anyway.

If I get to fly to the states next sunday, I promise I'll be a better person. Donate to charity or something. Yes.

I was actually just reading in the Wall Street Journal that several airlines in Europe have run test flights and were able to successfully fly, at altitude with no damage or problems. Other airlines are protesting the total closure of the airspace, citing that there haven't even been any weather balloons sent up to measure the actual ash content in the various wind currents. All the "closures" thus far have been based on computer modeling.
Make light!

I know you Americans don't get much news coverage from Europe, but this is pretty big.

Here's a visual for ya:

That's a map, you can see Iceland and Greenland outlined, western Europe is covered in the ash.

The thing is that there is NO ONE is allowed to fly, not even para gliders. who wouldn't be affected by the ash anyway or ambulance helicopters, that probably would be fine too, and could save lives.

If I get to fly to the states next Sunday, I promise I'll be a better person. Donate to charity or something. Yes.

I was actually just reading in the Wall Street Journal that several airlines in Europe have run test flights and were able to successfully fly, at altitude with no damage or problems. Other airlines are protesting the total closure of the airspace, citing that there haven't even been any weather balloons sent up to measure the actual ash content in the various wind currents. All the "closures" thus far have been based on computer modeling.

We were talking with a crew that came from Europe to Newark the night before last...they were pretty firm about NOT going back through it.

Said the leading edges all lite up like 4th of July sparklers for over an hour...& knowing that the ash turns back into rock in the the burners...they' re happy to sit it out for a while!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Central Europe sloooowly recovers from the volcano eruption. Crisis management by the german government is crap. We are operating now VFR below FL200 on all flights. Somebody in Berlin seems to believe that pilots can circumnavigate the ashes when in VMC. Everybody who enjoyed the bright blue skies last weekend knows that this is bullshit.

Either the government closed the airspace without reason, or they are now putting the passengers lifes at risk. If flying was safe we could also fly IFR.

Julia launched out of LAX earlier this evening. And about two hours ago she boarded a Lufthansa flight for Frankfurt out of Chicago. We think she's on one of the first flights, if not the very first one, allowed to proceed . . .

NickD :)