NickDG

Frankfurt Airport Status - Volcano?

Julia is flying into Germany tomorrow morning. Anyone know if the Iceland volcano eruption is affecting the Frankfurt airport? I checked their website but there's nothing about it there one way or the other. But I just heard in addition to Heathrow some airports in France are also closing down.

Anyone in Germany? How's it looking?

NickD :)

CLOSED FOR THE MOMENT www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/nonav/local?nodeid=1874371&l=en&cid=18003 same as most north european airports.

For once, noone needs to get on strike to get that french vibe going [:/]

At least the skies are safe with all planes grounded :D

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I know the airline I'm at the Frankfurt flight is canceled for tomorrow. Here us the list from our op's dept for the flights that are canceled tomorrow.

Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS); Belfast, Northern Ireland (BFS); Berlin, Germany (TXL - Tegel);Birmingham, England (BHX); Bristol, England (BRS); Brussels, Belgium (BRU); Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH); Dublin, Ireland (DUB); Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI); Frankfurt, Germany (FRA); Glasgow, Scotland (GLA); Hamburg, Germany (HAM); London, England (LHR - Heathrow); Manchester, England (MAN), Oslo, Norway (OSL); Paris, France (CDG); Shannon, Ireland (SNN); Stockholm, Sweden (ARN - Arlanda);

Not good. A lot of stranded people.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

According to the news it's still blowing ashes into the sky [:/]

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

According to the news it's still blowing ashes into the sky

Hmmmmmm, not good. I don't go back to work until saturday. Hopefully things will get back to normal by then.

Everytime I hear about ash in the air I think about that British Airways 747 that lost all 4 engines because of volcanic ash. I believe it happed in the early 80's if my memory is correct. That stuff will tear a plane up. Hope it clears up soon.

Everytime I hear about ash in the air I think about that British Airways 747 that lost all 4 engines because of volcanic ash. I believe it happed in the early 80's if my memory is correct. That stuff will tear a plane up. Hope it clears up soon.

that was Speedbird 9 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I am working as an air traffic controller in Frankfurt, and today I had the laziest early shift ever. The airport was shut down at 8 o'clock, and when I left work at 1 p.m. (took a half day off :-)) only Munich was serviceable in Germany. No IFR flights were permitted in the most parts of Germany.

The situation is continously monitored and evaluated, and every four hours a new decision is made. But right now there is not much hope to re-open the airspace before Sunday night.

If I get any more knowledge I will post it here, hoping to help traveling skydivers or friends of them.

No IFR flights were permitted in the most parts of Germany.

what is the status of VFR and skydiving operations ?

Netherlands: Dutch airspace is closed until at least 0600 saturday morning. Belgium looks like no skydiving until at least 1200 saturday. I thought in Germany VFR flight are allowed at least in some parts, don't know up to which altitude though and this is from Dutch news not German.

Could very well mean no skydiving here tomorrow.

[:/][:/][:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Time to fly to Rome...... and take the train from there

I was about to suggest Milan but that doesn't look any better. We canceled that one also for saturday. Here is the list of places we go that is a no go for saturday.

Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)
Belfast, Northern Ireland (BFS)
Berlin, Germany (TXL - Tegel)
Birmingham, England (BHX)
Bristol, England (BRS)
Brussels, Belgium (BRU)
Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH)
Dublin, Ireland (DUB)
Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI)
Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
Geneva, Switzerland (GVA)
Glasgow, Scotland (GLA)
Hamburg, Germany (HAM)
London, England (LHR - Heathrow)
Manchester, England (MAN)
Milan, Italy (MXP)
Munich, Germany (MUC)
Oslo, Norway (OSL)
Paris, France (CDG)
Shannon, Ireland (SNN)
Stockholm, Sweden (ARN - Arlanda)
Zurich, Switzerland (ZRH)

VFR operations in Germany are not affected. You are welcome to jump from ANY altitude you iike, provided the jumpship can deal with the volcanic ashes.

Just called my supervisor. Langen FIR is closed until 12UTC. Further decisions will be made by 08UTC. Belgium is closed until 18UTC.

Looks like I will be skydiving instead of being on late shift. ;)

No IFR flights were permitted in the most parts of Germany.

what is the status of VFR and skydiving operations ?

from what i heard yesterday, no skydiving in switzerland at least on saturday..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

A Weather guy on the beeb has just said that he does not see this ending any day soon... The volcano is still kicking out loads of shit and it's mostly heading towards mainland Europe and will likely be hanging around for a long time.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome