MissMelissa

A Book By Roger Nelson

I have nothing but respect for the man that built such an amazing DZ. Wish I could have met him.

Is that respect tempered any by the fact that he was an illegal drug runner and did felony prison time?

Seriously, dude you might wanna watch what you say around here. I didn't know the man, but there are plenty of people here who did that might take a lot of offense to that statement.

Seriously, Skittles, even people who knew and loved Roger know he had a history.

I have nothing but respect for the man that built such an amazing DZ. Wish I could have met him.

Is that respect tempered any by the fact that he was an illegal drug runner and did felony prison time?

Seriously, dude you might wanna watch what you say around here. I didn't know the man, but there are plenty of people here who did that might take a lot of offense to that statement.

58 jumps, 1 year in the sport, and this guy is telling people they better watch what they say.

Absolutely hysterical.

Well, one thing you can say about Roger is that it was almost impossible to meet him without forming a strong opinion, good or bad.

I never said that Roger was a "bad" person. I do, however, object to the myopic view of many of his admirers (a lot of whom never knew him and never set foot at SDC while he was alive). When the mere mention of a negative fact brings "threats" from some 50-jump wonder, I think that's wrong.

Roger was not perfect. There is no Easter Bunny. Will the mention of these facts get my ass kicked at SDC ?

Roger Nelson accomplished a lot in his life. He advanced the art of skydiving and imparted his knowledge to a great many people. He was an organizer who could inspire outstanding performance from groups of individuals.

I, too, will be interested in reading his book. However I feel that, like most of us, Roger would not go to great lengths to elaborate on his mistakes and weaknesses. Now that he's gone, those who stand to profit from his legacy can certainly be expected to downplay these aspects in the editing of his story.

Kevin Keenan

Not sure where the best place to post this...

Roger (my dad) wrote a book before he passed away. In his own words his describes the adventures of his life. Due to be released at the end of September.

Check it out:

www.SugarAlpha.com

[clicky help anyone?]

Is the book truly going to be a tell all? I will definitely buy and read it if it is. I grew up in the area and man the stories that were floating were unbelievable.

Thanks Melissa, I can not wait to read it. For us that know your father. it will be a great reminder of all the stories he has told us over the years. I can not think of a single time that I do not think of him when I walk thru the hanger door of SDC. You and Rook have done great things with SDC but , no offence it's still not the same with out him around.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

Ha ha ha!! Kevin, you are funny!!

I AM overseeing the editing the book! I AM self-publishing the book! I AM having my boyfriend do the artwork for the cover! I AM overseeing all the work and fronting all the money. And let me tell ya, I do hope to make a profit because of all the work involved and to pay back these expenses, but there's no downplaying buddy -- the stories on the website are the raw, unedited words from Roger himself!!

I love the little assumptions people make. I assure you - we're keeping it real! :)

And I'm not sure by what people mean by a "tell all"... but the book is about a certain era based on his life. Going to Nationals with a rookie skydiving team and doing the "other" thing he did on the side.

The only thing we had to change were a few names ;) I've read the book in its entirety -- it's amazing, gripping, captivating... and to believe he was my dad!!! I don't want that story line changed. He did elaborate a few details (I had to confirm with mom), like the ole fish stories, but that was my dad, right??

It's a fun story. And I'm glad so many are interested.

Roger (my dad) wrote a book before he passed away. In his own words his describes the adventures of his life. Due to be released at the end of September.

I'll definitely buy a copy. :)
Later on he took an otter with him to Gold Coast Skydivers for a boogie and promptly organized a friend's 100th jump for fun. I still have the video somewhere. Big shit-eating grin on his face before boarding the plane. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What he stated was a fact. Even the excerpt provided to promote the book is about his drug running days, so it's not like what he said is a slanderous fabrication or something. Roger's own daughter posted that excerpt of her Dad's drug-running. So I don't think you should be threatening someone for simply speaking the truth, a truth recognized by everyone, including his own daughter.

You can dislike that part of Roger that was on the wrong side of the law, and still have great respect for what he did after he got out of prison, using his tremendous talents productively to build his dream drop zone.

You can dislike that part of Roger that was on the wrong side of the law, and still have great respect for what he did after he got out of prison, using his tremendous talents productively to build his dream drop zone.

Well spoke.
Performance Designs Factory Team

Count me in for a copy. Melissa, I met and jumped with your Dad in Quincy when he brought in the C130 . He had an infectious laugh and an energy level that was amazing. I wish I could have gotten to know him better.

IS there a place we can register to be notified?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I look forward to reading it. I had the pleasure of jumping at the "old" DZ, the new DZ, on the Ironman and on a couple of his world records. Each of us has a past, some are more colorful than others.

Life is about making memories, mine at Skydive Chicago are all good. What a great guy.

And to Max, TJ, Klink, Sandy, Rook, youself, etc. - Blue Skies
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I sent Missy an email about a month ago but with my email being a online shop email it is known to go to spam. NEver thought of sending a PM as i never see her on her.

Anyway, just asking in the thread she started thinking someone might know something.

Can't do anything right on this site can ya;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Aloha Friends!!

After finishing another grueling round of editing and re-reading these posts, I'm all stoked again for the publication of the book. I was a little naieve to think it would be out in September. We did update the website and it will be (for sure) out on April 1st (seriously)!!

Since I've mostly been solo on this task and doing life, it's taken me a little longer than I thought to finish.

So why the long editing process? We had to fill in some missing gaps and under developed characters and other sorts. Since this is based on the true story of his life there was further research necessary to dig up details on certain events to keep the story line as true as possible. Truest as we all have our different perspectives, of course. Now that the editing is going through the final read through, we're drafting the Introduction, Epilogue, Dedications, and Disclaimer (believe me - some names had to be changed to protect the innocent & the guilty!!).

I'm so excited and so nervous to share this intimate account of my dad's life. I'm just so over the controversy about him -- really I just want people to enjoy this book. It's just totally epic and I still can't believe that this was my own dad!! So cool.

I've had some trying times getting to this point. It's been an emotional roller coaster to relive all this, dig up old information, etc. I've cried, laughed, got goosebumps, and got pissed off in the 25 chapters of this amazing tale. So - April 1st people! You can check out the updated details at: www.SugarAlpha.com.

word.

Aloha Friends!!

After finishing another grueling round of editing and re-reading these posts, I'm all stoked again for the publication of the book. I was a little naieve to think it would be out in September. We did update the website and it will be (for sure) out on April 1st (seriously)!!

Since I've mostly been solo on this task and doing life, it's taken me a little longer than I thought to finish.

So why the long editing process? We had to fill in some missing gaps and under developed characters and other sorts. Since this is based on the true story of his life there was further research necessary to dig up details on certain events to keep the story line as true as possible. Truest as we all have our different perspectives, of course. Now that the editing is going through the final read through, we're drafting the Introduction, Epilogue, Dedications, and Disclaimer (believe me - some names had to be changed to protect the innocent & the guilty!!).

I'm so excited and so nervous to share this intimate account of my dad's life. I'm just so over the controversy about him -- really I just want people to enjoy this book. It's just totally epic and I still can't believe that this was my own dad!! So cool.

I've had some trying times getting to this point. It's been an emotional roller coaster to relive all this, dig up old information, etc. I've cried, laughed, got goosebumps, and got pissed off in the 25 chapters of this amazing tale. So - April 1st people! You can check out the updated details at: www.SugarAlpha.com.

word.

I still think this story should have been written just like the camp-fire stories - like the movie "Big Fish" - ending with mysterious helicopters flying into the sunset and no acknowledgment as to what was or wasn't real.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Aloha Friends!!

word.

Can't wait to read it!
But it's coming out on April Fools Day?!!? Is this one more prank Roger made happen?
JK:ph34r:
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"