kkeenan

Discovery Lands at KSC

Nice landing by Discovery at Kennedy Space Ctr. a little while ago. This approach had a hell of a sonic boom - seemed louder than usual. Here's what it looked like as it flew over my building. Just before this photo, it had some nice wingtip vortices trailing it. Beautiful sight.

Kevin K.

I live in south texas. I few years ago I was coming home late one night and I saw something in the sky. It was so vibrant I got out of my car and watched it track across the sky. It looked like a giant sparkler...which was bright at the tip and it looked like it had smoke dissapating from the rear. I was sure it was a comet, until I went home and called the sherrif's department and they told me it was the space shuttle coming in to land in Florida.

The flash of a light landing is, hands down, one of the coolest things I've ever seen in the sky.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've heard the boom and seen the lights. I'll take the lights (but of course the boom happens every time, which is also cool)

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You folks in TX get the lights ...

I think there were no lights visible in TX this time. The approach path was farther north, across the CO, OK, AR area.

I've heard the boom and seen the lights. I'll take the lights (but of course the boom happens every time, which is also cool)

Wendy P.

OK, I'll see your lights and raise you a launch. (I think a launch and a boom beats just the lights. :D)

You got that one right! I'm heading there for the next one (hopefully it'll go on time). I've been before on a launch trip, but it didn't go on time. Hopefully this one will...

Wendy P.

I didn't know it was coming, the boom made me jump! :ph34r:

That's what she said!!

I think I'm changing my sig line.....
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

That was a regular statement! You people are so dirty! :o
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That was a regular statement! You people are so dirty! :o

And that's why we love you so much:)
You routinely rmake a "regular statement" that we can then twist just a little bit with our sick and twisted minds and...

Voila! Instant sig-line material.:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Nice landing by Discovery at Kennedy Space Ctr. a little while ago. This approach had a hell of a sonic boom - seemed louder than usual. Here's what it looked like as it flew over my building. Just before this photo, it had some nice wingtip vortices trailing it. Beautiful sight.

Kevin K.

Hi Kev,
Didn't see or hear anything, I live in NC. The weather channel did mention the landing and show a good video clip of the touchdown from several angles!! The Drag Chute deployment was picture perfect!! FYI "Endeavour" was the first Shuttle to employ the drag chute then all the others were retrofitted. The canopy is 40' dia. ribbon chute using a 4.15second reefing sys. Fun project!! I worked at Irvin Aerospace in the rigging dept. when they won the bid for the program.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

This is on my list of things to do before I die

I'm not sure how long you're planning on living, but the last shuttle flight is scheduled for Sept., so you better hurry.

Is September confirmed as a go? a few of us are looking at coming down for either July or September to watch the launch but I was thinking that September was flaky for financing and was subject to canceling.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Take off- Cape Canaveral.
Landing- it depends on the weather. The take off is much more spectacular.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Is September confirmed as a go? a few of us are looking at coming down for either July or September to watch the launch but I was thinking that September was flaky for financing and was subject to canceling.

There are three more flights planned. Atlantis is scheduled to roll out to the pad tonight for a May 14 launch. After that, the schedule gets a little flakey. The next two launch dates are under review. The last one may move to November. I'll let you know when something more definite is announced.

Kevin K.