Iceburner

Advice for quitting dipping

So, while i was on deployment i "quit" dipping...mainly due to the slim to none chance of getting any dip. Having returned, and the availablility of dip greatly increased, i have started again....which i (and my wife) really dont like. Was looking for any advice former "dippers" have on quitting. I tried just not buying it, but having a lot of other Marines around that dip always makes one available, and i really have a hard time saying "no" when one offers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as i do want to quit, but some days i crave for one......and i used to be confused (when i was younger) about how smokers couldn't just quit[:/]

not so sure about dip, but i quit smoking...on more than one occasion haha. For me i just quit cold turkey and stuck to my guns...first week kinda sucks, but after that it gets much easier.

I just didnt like the fact of trading one evil (cigarettes) for a nicotine patch or gum that i would likely get addicted to..
~MaVriK~
"The Greatest Accomplishment in life is actually Living it"

I can't relate to dip but I'm working on quitting smoking cold turkey after being between a half pack to pack a day smoker for 9 years...

Haven't lit one up in 16 days and still going strong. Granted, I 'quit' once before for 3 months a couple years ago. That went down the drain when I got hammered beyond all recognition one night.

In my experience, it's solely a mental thing. When you get the craving just find a distraction and it'll pass in a few minutes. Easier said than done but after a week or so it definitely feels much more doable.

After 12 years of Copenhagen-
I finally found out that I was mistaken-
It's not really something thats gonna add years to my life.

That's why I'm still dipping it today-
And each and every morning I hear mama say-
That shits gonna kill ya if the women don't get ya first.

~Pat Green
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Tell your friends you have no willpower and it would really help you if they wouldn't offer it to you and ask them to refuse you if you do ask.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

...i really have a hard time saying "no" when one offers...

I hate to offer nothing but a hard time, but I'm sure that as a Marine, you have encountered many things that required "mental toughness". I think this is one of those things.

Kevin K.

Well, I chewed tobacco off and on for about 20 years… I even got busted for dipping in the military more than once and had to work service hours. Then, back at school and work I seemed to be chewing the entire time I was awake and not eating. I chewed all kinds of brands, even some Swedish stuff that was like fine powder/snuff.

Back on topic – I decided to “quit cold turkey” in 2001. Completed my AFFI and threw away ½ can of chew on the way home. Feeling very proud of myself, I thought I could just “do it.”

Well, within three days, my wife threw a pack of Nicorette gum at me and said I had better chew the gum or get out because I was being an ass (probably meaning more of an ass than usual). I tried the gum for a week and it just did not work for me – the cravings still were a lot for me and my family to deal with.

Next I looked up on line if the Patch worked for stopping smoking and there was pretty much NO information out there that compares chew to smoking. So, I went with the thought that if I needed to chew so bad it impacted people around me, I was pretty bad off and the highest dose was a good place to start.

I picked up a set of patches for heavy smokers. The program called for something like 6 weeks of step down in dose and was not super cheep… But, wow, I put the first patch on and could feel the tension leave my body from missing the tobacco…

I went through all the step-down doses and never needed the gum or patches again… Sometimes I still wanted a dip, but just remembered how tough it was to quit so I didn’t even try any more.

I’m still not chewing tobacco after those 9 years. I’ve gone through weight-gain and loss, and other stuff, but didn’t start chewing again…

Sorry for the long story, when I could have just said go buy the patches :D.

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

So, while i was on deployment i "quit" dipping...mainly due to the slim to none chance of getting any dip. Having returned, and the availablility of dip greatly increased, i have started again....which i (and my wife) really dont like. Was looking for any advice former "dippers" have on quitting. I tried just not buying it, but having a lot of other Marines around that dip always makes one available, and i really have a hard time saying "no" when one offers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as i do want to quit, but some days i crave for one......and i used to be confused (when i was younger) about how smokers couldn't just quit[:/]

I am on day 119 of my quit from dip. It is not easy at all. I did get some "hooch" its fake dip with no nicotine and no tobacco and it helped me. It is not even close to the real stuff but it helped me when I was around friends that dipped. I would throw one of those in and it made it easier. For some thought it makes them want the real stuff even more. I told my fiancee, friends, everyone at the DZ so I could be held accountable. I also took it one step at a time and posted on a website everyday of other guys quitting. Quitting dip is 10x harder than smoking... it is way more nicotine so screw anyone that makes it sound easy. Hang in there and let me know if I can do anything to help.

The website of the quit site is below.

http://forum.qssn.org/index.php?s=31818d56b857a89b6358b23282d8ac7e&act=idx
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Tell your friends you have no willpower and it would really help you if they wouldn't offer it to you and ask them to refuse you if you do ask.

Or he could HTFU he's a Marine FFS
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Buy this: http://www.smokeysnuff.com/products.cfm
Put in empty can of Skoal or Cope.
Rinse, repeat.
It will allow you the habit of dipping and eventually you'll just throttle back less and less.

I've known a few guys who mixed 50/50 for a week, 75/25 for a couple of weeks and then 100% Smokey Mountain for a couple of months.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Buy this: http://www.smokeysnuff.com/products.cfm
Put in empty can of Skoal or Cope.
Rinse, repeat.
It will allow you the habit of dipping and eventually you'll just throttle back less and less.

I've known a few guys who mixed 50/50 for a week, 75/25 for a couple of weeks and then 100% Smokey Mountain for a couple of months.

I've known a few guys that did that as well. That is actually suggested by "experts". I just stopped cold and went to the fake stuff but I used "hooch". I will be honest none of it tastes even close to that cowboy candy you love so much but it will help.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

Yeah, Smokey Mountain tasted like mint leaves and sucrose when it first came out and when the sucrose dissolved; you had mint leaves stuck in our teeth. I tried some of the mint last year when I had a craving and they have done some serious changing - it was actually more leafy like the real stuff.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Yeah, Smokey Mountain tasted like mint leaves and sucrose when it first came out and when the sucrose dissolved; you had mint leaves stuck in our teeth. I tried some of the mint last year when I had a craving and they have done some serious changing - it was actually more leafy like the real stuff.

Hooch is pretty close as far as the cut but the taste is not even close. They do add Cayanne pepper to it to simulate that burn you know and love. :P

I just stopped buying it when it went up to 5 bucks a can. Never looked back.

Well I lived in the KY so a can of Kodiak was $3.25 for me.