rehmwa

Fitness and Supplements

When is the best time to take the whey protein supplement? why?

morning
evening
before the workout
after the workout

(lifting to failure, P90X, whatever)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm taking it right after working out. Well, within an hour of working out is the window I'm using. Usually it's right after unless running a bit late for work. Supposed to speed recovery up and provide some building material for post-work out.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Most aerobic workouts (running, cycling, etc.) need a pre-fuel (1 bottle of a sports drink and 1 gel/bar) 1-2 hours prior. The "refuel" should occur within 45 minutes of completion. As as cyclist I prefer 2 scoops of Endurox R4 mixed with low fat chocolate milk in a small water bottle.

Tim Tennant - D-12780
USA Cycling Certified Racer, Official, Coach

Most aerobic workouts (running, cycling, etc.) need a pre-fuel (1 bottle of a sports drink and 1 gel/bar) 1-2 hours prior. The "refuel" should occur within 45 minutes of completion. As as cyclist I prefer 2 scoops of Endurox R4 mixed with low fat chocolate milk in a small water bottle.

That sounds appropriate for somebody burning 5,000 calories a day, but what about us normal people?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Its not just supplementing with protein, its how you eat in general.

The last two months found me finally going back to a "clean" diet and a renewed vigor in the gym. Tonight's chest/tri workout was so hard-core, I think it may be illegal in 6 states.:P Previously I lifted really heavy, but over the last 6 years I wasn't eating clean enough to get any decent gains. Not like the 2000-2002 time frame when I was eating clean and lifting heavy.

Anyways, I typically have a protein bar as a breakfast re-chow snack, between breakfast and lunch. After lunch I try to have some sort of solid protein. About 1hr before the gym I have a protein shake. I then have another protein shake with in 30 minutes of the work out. I drink it on the way home from the gym.

Personally I really like the pre-mixed EAS protein packs. They're cheap at Sam's Club in bulk and they taste good. I toss one in an insulated lunch pack and leave it in the car while I work out. Then I can drink it on the way home.

http://www.bodybuilding.com has some really good articles about protein consumption as well as other supplements. Although its important to remember that its very much like DZ.com, a LOT of noise, a LOT of wrong information, but SOME good information. They also have really good prices on a lot of stuff.

Or you can get some news stand muscle magazines and get nutrition advice from a lot of guys that juice really heavily! Heh.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Your choice of "healthy" refuel should occur within 45 minutes of workout completion. Beer doesn't count as healthy.

Beer may not be the "healthiest" choice... But you do need to replenish CHOs (Carbohydrates) following a workout. A sports nutritionalist I worked with told me that a beer or 2 post-workout, even though it's not the healthiest, is better than not eating or drinking anything. You also want to take in protein and some fat.

It's when the one or 2 beers turn into 4 or 6 or 12 where you start to see the unhealthiness outweigh any kind of carbohydrate stores replenishing that needs to occur... ;):PB|

"Good rule of thumb; is what you are doing the EASIEST for You? Because if it is, it ain't going to work for the people around you."

Tim Tennant - D-12780
USA Cycling Certified Racer, Official, Coach

I go the cheap way: tall glass of skim milk after a long workout (+45 minutes on the bike at least): It has carbs, proteins and lots of other good stuff, and lots of studies show that straight milk is a decent post ride snack http://www.bicycling.com/faster/slide2.html

I really, really, really think the expensive supplements are completely a waste for non pro athletes.

For on-the-bike energy, for 3 hour rides, I'll try and take 150 cal/hour (1 gel and 1/2 a bottle). For longer rides (centuries), 150 cal per 1/2hour (1 gel, and a quarter bottle of mix) and try to stuff some real food in there too (cliff bars here and there).

I use good old Gatorade dry mix from Costco. Yeah, a mix that would contain protein would be better, but really, I still think for hacks like myself the money is better spent on a good pair of bibs:ph34r:. And I use GU for gels. You can usually buy them at Performance for 1$ per in a mix pack.

Hey Tim: What level CAT are ya?
Remster

I beleive the PBX90 manual goes into detail about when and why....

Or like my numerous friends from work who bought the system thinking it was the "magic bullet" or the "genie in the bottle" to get them in shape, found out that it takes hard work. So they "do" the system, but I call it P45X, because they completely half-ass the work outs!

:D

Your choice of "healthy" refuel should occur within 45 minutes of workout completion. Beer doesn't count as healthy.

No beer after a workout, that where i'm going wrong.[:/]
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

I agree, but its their fault not the systems......

That I fully believe. The P45X is a joke at the expense of my friends. That they spent all this money on a good work out program and they don't do it 100% to their fullest. Its simply the American way.;)

Thanks all - that helps

once in the morning - I like the milk too - better than a granola bar and it doesn't get tiring like the old yogurt/grapenuts do after a couple weeks

once later after the workout (Daily mixed workouts all to failure/burn, but no body part is hit more than 3 times a week, usually only 2 - one day/w rest)

splits the dosage in two - spreads it out to times I think my body needs it - cheap stuff too, just whey protein and whatever they added to that powder

though I agree it's best to just eat better and find protein in poultry and eggs, etc. I don't make the time for that - and it's also helping me avoid the crap food during the day - the morning shake helps me 'be good' and not snack at all - healthier lunch, then whatever I like for dinner

this is what works for me - if I set up a diet, I wouldn't last more that a week at it

all the snacks are just going away - happy with that

now if I could only set aside enough time to stretch daily (more than just the pre/post workout stretching) - this is a real problem area for me

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I beleive the PBX90 manual goes into detail about when and why....

Or like my numerous friends from work who bought the system thinking it was the "magic bullet" or the "genie in the bottle" to get them in shape, found out that it takes hard work. So they "do" the system, but I call it P45X, because they completely half-ass the work outs!

:D

Decided on P90X - Doing it full bore - to failure - tracking weights/reps - taking a burn every single time - doing all the bonus time. I'm pretty much addicted - it's like some friends and I used to lift (like a million) years ago and I added 25% of my weight (good weight - not fat).

I was finding myself weak for a bit and figured my intake wasn't balancing, so thus the question about the protein calories. I'm much better since I started the shakes again.

Edit: it's all relative - I'm shooting for 'less scrawny'. However, I did get approached for photo shoots for some sports magazines. They said they'd like to use me for the "before" pictures. :P:D

Dave and I don't agree on much, but this is 100% true:

http://www.bodybuilding.com has some really good articles about protein consumption as well as other supplements. Although its important to remember that its very much like DZ.com, a LOT of noise, a LOT of wrong information, but SOME good information. They also have really good prices on a lot of stuff.

The nutrition forum has some incredible information, but also a fair bit of noise, so you have to look around.