Zep

Talking of weedwhackers

I have a sthil weedwacker and what a load of crap it is, Only one seasons use, this year filled it with gas
and off I went till I hit a pole (cleaning around the pole) and it stopped with a splut splut splut,

to cut a long story short, the aluminium flywheel which houses the stator uses a integral woodruff key
and the stupid thing snapped, so the flywheel ended up spinning uselessly on the crank,
when I took it to the shop (under guarentee) the guy said I had obviously been using it for use never intended
for that model. It's a effing wheedwhacker what else can it be used for[:/]

Gone fishing

I'd be writting Style, only thing that coudl cause that is an improperly tightened flywheel nut...they NEED to back up their product, and probably will , If this is the shop you bought it from, make sure you tell them, they don't want their dealers shitting on customers!

Not to mention, it is an easy repair![:/]

When I saw the thread title, I thought you were talking about big ways.

The weirdest big way I was on, was a 100+ way last fall that actually ROTATED 270 degrees (spun around) from the exit to the breakoff. Many of us at the outer whackers were having a hard time chasing our slots on that load!

Yep...we got it on video. (We all knew it rotated. I was surprised that it slowly went a full 270 degrees over the course of about one minute.)

seriously? you are bitching about a shear pin/key doing it's job? The shear pin is there for a reason, it stops you motor from getting damaged when you hit something or cause sudden shock to the drive line. Pretty much every piece of equipment has them. This is not an uncommon breakage. Take a snow blower into a mound of frozen crap and you'll shear the pin. Hit a hidden stump with your mower blade and you'll shear the pin. It's a consumable device that worked as designed. In no way does this make the piece of equipment a pos. You have no idea the amount of perfectly good mowers and crap that are thrown away that need nothing more than that little $.50 piece of aluminum replaced.

You've got a great brush cutter there but a crapy dealer. Find a dealer that will be happy to do the repair and you've found your new dealer.

http://www.stihldealer.net/locator/

That Stihl should last you many years.

I'm well aware of what a shear pin is and it's function, but this is a woodruff key which is cast into the flywheel instead of being a
seperate piece, so if the key fails you have to buy a new flywheel instead of just a key.
To me Sthil's bean counters decided that it would be cheaper to incororate the key into the casting
than mill every flywheel in the CNC. as I said before the design is a piece of crap.
Yesterday I spoke to a representative of Stihl and it will be repaired under garantee.
When I asked him if the repair will carry a two year garantee he said the repair will run with
the garantee of the machine.
So basically I'm looking at two seasons use then throw it away.

Never had any problems with Husqvarna out door machines

Gone fishing

The weirdest big way I was on, was a 100+ way last fall that actually ROTATED 270 degrees (spun around) from the exit to the breakoff. Many of us at the outer whackers were having a hard time chasing our slots on that load!

Yep...we got it on video. (We all knew it rotated. I was surprised that it slowly went a full 270 degrees over the course of about one minute.)

BUT...Us cameramen didn't spin...(any that are worth a shit anyway);)

One of the hardest things as a camera man, is NOOT to spin wehn the jump strats turning...We are trained to keep shit in frame...but working with students taught me, Never spin with them, the instructor can;t show them what they did, if we spin too!

NARWHALS!

I'm well aware of what a shear pin is and it's function, but this is a woodruff key which is cast into the flywheel instead of being a
seperate piece, so if the key fails you have to buy a new flywheel instead of just a key.
To me Sthil's bean counters decided that it would be cheaper to incororate the key into the casting
than mill every flywheel in the CNC. as I said before the design is a piece of crap.
Yesterday I spoke to a representative of Stihl and it will be repaired under garantee.
When I asked him if the repair will carry a two year garantee he said the repair will run with
the garantee of the machine.
So basically I'm looking at two seasons use then throw it away.

Never had any problems with Husqvarna out door machines

Oh my bad man. Sorry to go off on tangent. It's just natural after years of being a maintenance guy and hearing people bitch about mechanical things. lol. Yea that sounds like a dumb ass design if they didn;t make it readily replaceable.

BUT...Us cameramen didn't spin...(any that are worth a shit anyway);)

One of the hardest things as a camera man, is NOOT to spin wehn the jump strats turning...We are trained to keep shit in frame...but working with students taught me, Never spin with them, the instructor can;t show them what they did, if we spin too!

Yeah, no shit there. I've found myself chasing formations that were spinning and I was going around with it trying to get to my slot. :S Almost like light particles being sucked into a black hole a-la the old Disney movie "The Black Hole".

Gotta remember where the sun is, or a spot in the background or clouds and keep your position relative to those...

back to the thread topic....
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban