ryan_d_sucks

Is this plumber lying to me?

Turn the water off, remove the water from the tank and take the tank off(makes it easier to carry, can be left on)
Take out in yard and lay it on its side. Water hose helps immensly now! Once the shat is cleared you should be able to find the bottle. I know all this because of a 7 year old and an aftershave bottle :)

Turn the water off, remove the water from the tank and take the tank off(makes it easier to carry, can be left on)

I still prefer to take the tank off, then pull the base. Either way, it's not rocket science. Knowing how to pull and reinstall a toilet is a good life skill, like being able to change a flat tire,:)

I would also add that if you do remove the toilet and clear the obstruction, you will need a new seal (usually a wax ring; Home Depot will know what you need) when you reinstall it.

They have an assortment of wax rings, double stack, with plastic things, etc. I always buy the plain cheapo ones. They do just fine.:)

I would also add that if you do remove the toilet and clear the obstruction, you will need a new seal (usually a wax ring; Home Depot will know what you need) when you reinstall it.

Good God, I know US plumbing is about 100 years behind Europe but really wax, use butyl or silicone, come join us in the 21st century;)

Gone fishing

Good God, I know US plumbing is about 100 years behind Europe but really wax, use butyl or silicone, come join us in the 21st century;)

Sigh - it is CALLED a wax ring - doesn't mean it is actually way.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Would you recommend a shop vac for getting the water out of the toilet?

Yeah...as long as it's YOURS and not mine! :P

NO - no Shop Vac - use a gravity syphon.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Only if ya REALLY like 'Turtle' Soup!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Only if ya REALLY like 'Turtle' Soup!

Meh - not if you are as good as Divot . . . he used to suck syphon a car with a fire hose from across the street and up hill.

I haven;t read threw all the respoonces yet, but I have tp say teh Plummer is not quiet a lieing sack of shit!

toilets have an S curve in them, just like sinks have, (water trap seal , keeps gases out of yrou house) BUT unlike your sink, can not be taken apart...so coudl be he knows the size oif the item, and knows it would be an excersize in futility to try to remove it...

No real problem to have it replaced, unless he is trying to rape you on price!

I haven;t read threw all the respoonces yet, but I have tp say teh Plummer is not quiet a lieing sack of shit!

toilets have an S curve in them, just like sinks have, (water trap seal , keeps gases out of yrou house) BUT unlike your sink, can not be taken apart...so coudl be he knows the size oif the item, and knows it would be an excersize in futility to try to remove it...

No real problem to have it replaced, unless he is trying to rape you on price!

If it goes in, it comes out. It's plastic.

>If it goes in, it comes out.

After years of working with plumbing in a variety of houses, apartments and trailers, I can say with authority that that is not always true. Sometimes you are just plain not going to get that crap out of the trap (which are, fortunately, easy to replace.)

Ok, not too hard to fix, remove the toilet. ( I take it outside) put a snake from the bowl through the bottom of the toilet. Tie a string to the snake and pull the string through the trap, now you have the string on both sides. Tie a rag to the string & pull the rag through the trap & you will clear the obstruction. Toothbrushes & combs are the most common item but a plastic bottles falls in every now & again. Done it many times.

should you move along, to pull the toilet , as suggested,,,
consider that the "Johnny Bolts" which hold the base to the floor mounted "shoe"... might not JUST Loosen....

if they were long bolts, the original installer could have cut them,, after tightening, in order to put the plastic caps on....

if so. the nut might hang up.. as you're removing it, and start spinning the bolt....

before you start, be sure to have
1. another pair of NEW bolts,
2. either a hacksaw blade or a BIg pair of bolt cutters.....to snap those old bolts off...

New ones, Always for the re-Install.

good luck.

jmy

When I was in the trade I made it a point to always fit the toilet bowl with brass screws coated with silicona and stainless steel nuts
so then even after years of piss and water from mopping they came out the same as the day they were put in.

Gone fishing

I know US plumbing is about 100 years behind Europe

Having flushed toilets in both Europe and America, I believe your statement to be completely inverted.

I like the creativity of the French: a drinking fountain right in the bowl! Now that's one-stop shopping.

Nah Mate, Yank lavs are much better than the ones in Blighty - If I ever move back to the UK I'll be making a point of shipping a proper toilet or two and a bunch of mounting flanges with wax rings so I can convert, even if I have to drop the pipe out to the vented stack so it comes in between the floors.

Now if we were talking heaters/combi-boilers I'd be able to back you up as a fellow Brit (because they ARE 100 years behind in that department), but I'm afraid that in the game of toilets, the USA wins.

Oh, as for the original post: If the plumber were telling the truth I'd have had to replace my toilet a dozen times. It might not be pleasant if the aftershave's wrapped in a poo blanket by now, but it's not that tough to remove it.

I have a cat called Zebadee, Boing...

My son dropped one of his Brand new hearing aids in the toilet, right when he flushed...and $3,000 Literrally down the drain....>:(

But after seeing the look in his eyes, I couldn;t get mad! Poor kid felt like shit!

He was also listening to it.:D
My photos

My Videos