DoctorSig

First scooter/motorcycle?

I'm thinking about getting a scooter for commuting to work (5-7 miles).
This may be my gateway into the motorcycle world, so I have 2 questions.
1) Would the skills learned on a 50cc scooter translate to motorcycle when and if I decide to get one down the road?

2) Would I be better off just getting a low power motorcycle to start with? The dealership had a display 125cc for sale, but I'm afraid that it may be too underpowered.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, because I'm not really sure this is something I'll stick with and b/c I'm broke.
thanks

I don't want to spend a lot of money, because I'm not really sure this is something I'll stick with and b/c I'm broke.
thanks

You kind of answered your question there....just sayin'. ;) Don't spend the money if you don't have it.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

If money is so tight that you're contemplating riding a 50cc anything on the road to get to work, then you can't afford to buy it.

If you're only 5-7 miles away from work, ride a bicycle! You can buy a NICE bike for 1/2 the price of a 50cc scooter and you'll enjoy it a lot better!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Why a 50cc scooter? Simply because it just happens to be what I'm seeing for sale on Craigslist (with the Vespa look).

I would love to ride my bicycle to work, but unfortunately 80% of the way to work will be uphill, and I can't show up all dirty and sweaty. :(

Buy used!!! You can find good deals on older used bikes.

Skills learned on any smaller bike are worth the investmet. The first thing you need to learn if you plan on surviving is road awareness. You need to see and be aware of everything around you. This is a lesson best learned on a smaller bike that can get you out of trouble quicker than it can get you into it..... Blue skies and twisted highways!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Why a 50cc scooter? Simply because it just happens to be what I'm seeing for sale on Craigslist (with the Vespa look).

There might be a reason why everyone is selling their little scooter.

Check your state's laws about mopeds, scooters, motorcycles and motorized bicycles. In Texas 49cc is treated differently then 50cc. For example, 50cc and up you'll have to have a registration, vehicle inspection, go through a MSF course and insurance on the vehicle.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"My Turn"

Anything under 125...is a waste of money...If you can not afford a riders training course...your better off not riding..IMO, even though I never took one, I wish I could have...I have a crooked leg, and many broken bones from learning the hard way! (I hit the million mile club almost 18 years ago) ...

What ever you do buy...be carreful...you are Invisable, and never forget that!

I've already signed up for the safety course - despite the possibility of getting a scooter, (49cc) which doesn't require a motorcycle license, as Dave said. Plan on buying used and small to start keeping for 1-2 seasons just to get some basic skill and awareness, then move on from there.

I never rode motorcycle before I took the safety course and bought 750cc Honda Shadow as my first bike. I never had a problem riding with it. Just to let you know.

And i downsized to a cobalt 135 at 100 jumps and never hurt myself on it! Does that mean it was the best thing for me to do?:S

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I'd give serious thought to a duel sport, from the sound of the type of riding you want it for, it would not only fill the bill for that, but it can play double duty as an off road toy! Plus with their taller profile, they are easier to be seen on in traffic!

My sons street bike is a DR650 Duel sport , that he rides to school, and in the hills both...then his hardcore street bike is a 1947 Harley chopper...(not yoru average 16 yearold kid)B|

BTW, he just signed up for the course last week, even though he has been riding for 6 months.,..Stupid california laws let a kid ride at 15 1/2 But they can;t take the saftey course until turning 16?
His DR 650:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/Bikes/suzzz071.jpg

His 47 knuckle:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/Bikes/006.jpg

In GA a moped is 50cc or less but cannot exceed 35 MPH. Anything faster requires a motorcycle license. There are a few 250cc motorcycles that make good starter bikes. The Honda Rebel, & the Kawasaki Ninja 250 (the CRF230L if you prefer dual sport), are good examples. You can find them used on Craigslist, e-bay, or cycletrader.com
Skymama stalker #69!!!!

If money is so tight that you're contemplating riding a 50cc anything on the road to get to work, then you can't afford to buy it.

If you're only 5-7 miles away from work, ride a bicycle! You can buy a NICE bike for 1/2 the price of a 50cc scooter and you'll enjoy it a lot better!

I totally disagree with you. 5 miles on a scooter as long as it is in residential type roads would be fine so long as the OP is not "large". They tend to run on fumes and be relatively cheap to maintain. I spent my college years on a 49CC and we even used to go out to the dz 2 up with gear which was about 15miles!

I am not a scooter fan but they also have fairly large storage facilities which make them more practical than your average 125.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

can you ride clutch?

fuck, i say get an enduro or my favorite as of this moment, a yamaha wr250x. an enduro with street tires(supermoto), and gets 71 mpg. with a 10 mile comute(to nd fro) you can fill up everycouple of weeks.
\,,,/(-_^)\,,,/
"For once you have tasted flight,you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been,and will long to return"

For 5-7 miles just ride a bicycle. You'll be healthier, more alert at work, and have more money left in your pockets.

Until you get run over...and who wants to be in the hospital in Spandex?

For 5-7 miles just ride a bicycle. You'll be healthier, more alert at work, and have more money left in your pockets.

Until you get run over...and who wants to be in the hospital in Spandex?

I cycle 5000 miles per year.
Haven't been run over yet.

Before I started working from home, I commuted for several years to a job 6 miles from home.
When it snowed, I could actually do the trip faster on a bike than a car, due to Hwy 36 entrance ramps backing up and clogging up the side roads, while I took the pedestrian tunnel under 36 and avoided the whole mess.:ph34r:

I used to work with a guy who cycled to a job 25 miles from home.
He lost 20 pounds in the first few months.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.