btuttle

How strong are the "rig" harnesses?

Greetings. I have only done one tandem jump, but am positive there will be many more in my future...

As we were riding under the canopy, I couldn't help but wonder how strong the two thin nylon straps holding me were... Therefore, I would like to know if anyone can point to any basic "strength" statistics of the harnesses being used for skydiving.

Although I guess they're strong enough, it would be comforting to know that the harness can support xxxx pounds, etc. I searched, but could not find any info...

Thanks!

unless it had been damaged or just a random act of god your body would most likley break before the harness would. You have to remember that the "system" is only as strong as the weakest link. That being said most webbing is rated into the thousands of pounds. It is most likley that hardware would fail first some of it is rated around 500 pounds.

unless it had been damaged or just a random act of god your body would most likley break before the harness would. You have to remember that the "system" is only as strong as the weakest link. That being said most webbing is rated into the thousands of pounds. It is most likley that hardware would fail first some of it is rated around 500 pounds.

The chest strap harness buckle is about 500, IIRC, but all other hardware will withstand substantially more.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

The MS-70101 chest strap buckle is only "rated" at 500 lbs., but it goes to over 2,000 before failing. It is also the most slip resistant buckle ever invented...even when it is made out of stainless. The first thing that ought to break on a super hard opening is your main risers. However, as long as people insist on jumping "no-stretch" lines, there is no telling what's going to go first.

Typical harness webbings include:
Type 7: 6,000 pounds
Type 8: 4,000 pounds
Type 13: 7,000 pounds

Most harness buckles will hold 2,500 pounds, but when you consider the pulley effect on leg straps, that is still in the 5,000 pound range.
Shoulder hooks on tandems are more like 5,500 pounds .....
The bottom line is that your body will fail long before the harness will.
One reason that harnesses are over-built is so they will hold together after 20 years of hard jumping, dragging through sand, sun burn, etc.

The MS-70101 chest strap buckle is only "rated" at 500 lbs., but it goes to over 2,000 before failing. It is also the most slip resistant buckle ever invented...even when it is made out of stainless. The first thing that ought to break on a super hard opening is your main risers. However, as long as people insist on jumping "no-stretch" lines, there is no telling what's going to go first.

Bill, are the "no-stretch" lines (im assuming you are referring to Spectra?) stronger than mini risers?

One Type-17 mini-riser will break at about 3,500 lbs., when new. Spectra lines for parachutes come in several strengths, from 425 to 1,500 lbs. It is more common to break a single line (or a link) than a riser. I have never seen a situation where all the lines on a riser broke, and left the riser intact. What is important, is that the harness below the riser is stronger than the riser. The main riser is designed to be the "fusable link", which "protects" everything else, including your neck. An intact riser, with a broken main lift web (or neck), won't do you much good, will it?

Im curious what you mean by "pully effect".

One pully does not reduce load, it simply re directs it.

Right?

Thanks in advance :)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

By "pulley effect" I meant that you have two leg straps (straight lower leg strap and upper leg strap with buckle) hanging below each hip junction, so each leg strap is only holding half the load.