WWII Pictures

That's one tough generation, and they're leaving us so fast. :(

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I wouldn't call it fast, my father was born in a japanese war camp in 1942 so is one of the younger people that wassomehow involved in the war.

We all die at some stage.

How long do you expect to live?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I wouldn't call it fast, my father was born in a japanese war camp in 1942 so is one of the younger people that wassomehow involved in the war.

I really think he meant for those that "served" in WWII. Just to clarify. Over 1000 U.S. veterans die every day that served in WWII. Can imagine the total numbers are overwhelming...

I really think he meant for those that "served" in WWII. Just to clarify. Over 1000 U.S. veterans die every day that served in WWII. Can imagine the total numbers are overwhelming...

:S

They are the forunate ones, it has been 65 years since the war finished.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I think that sum is bollocks, just do the math and you will realise it's not true.

I think that sum is bollocks, just do the math and you will realise it's not true.

The last documentary on WWII stated this fact. If I get time, I'll check.

Ya know, one way to use this thread to do honor to WW2 vets might be to post family pictures of their accomplishments. While some of the techniques and methods look crude to us now, they were effective at the time, and our parents and grandparents were proud of what they accomplished with what they had -- no matter what side they were on.

So, without further ado, I'll post a few pictures of my dad's. I can think of nothing he would have liked better than to have his pictures shared. He was at the Boston Navy Yard for the first year or so, and then on a concrete (!) floating drydock in the Pacific for the rest of the war. Came back at the end, and asked the first girl who spent a whole evening dancing with him to marry him -- he said that fortunately she was a lot smarter than he was, and said no :ph34r:.

These pictures are of them putting a new bow on a ship that had been hit by a kamikaze. They cut the old one off, and basically just welded some very large steel plates on so that the ship could make it back to a real drydock, which it did.

Who else has family pictures of WW2 accomplishments -- large and small?

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Here is my take on it, during the war there were about 100 million soldiers (including both axis and allies), of which about 25 million died during the war . That leaves 75 million left. Now during WWII, 61 countries were involved which means on average 1.23 million vets per country were still alive after the war. Now if 1000 US Vets die each day since the war ended that's about 24 million US vets dead. The figures just don't add up. Also take into account that nearly all of European men/women fought in the WWII, so there will be a lot more European vets then US vets. If you said 1000 vets (axis and allies) die everyday that would be much more realistic.

They haven't been dying at a rate of 1000 per day the entire time.

They are reaching the age where they are far more likely to die, and are dying at a faster rate.

They will soon be gone.:(

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of this data is a couple years old. However I imagine it's still in the 1000 per day (U.S only) rate. Combined with all the allied forces the number is much greater....

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/11/veterans.honor.flight/index.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/25/veterans-burials-rising-a_n_103479.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,357941,00.html

Estimated Deaths in FY06 (Sept. 30, 2005 to Sept. 30, 2006)
All Veterans ..................................................... 687,576 (averages to 1,884 per day)
World War II veterans (subset of above) ......... 374,288 (averages to 1,025 per day)

http://dva.state.wi.us/webforms/data_factsheets/vetpop093005.pdf

Same approximate number of deaths be day quoted by Dept. of Veterans Affairs in 2008.

Bollocks to you sir!
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Here is my take on it, during the war there were about 100 million soldiers (including both axis and allies), of which about 25 million died during the war . That leaves 75 million left. Now during WWII, 61 countries were involved which means on average 1.23 million vets per country were still alive after the war. Now if 1000 US Vets die each day since the war ended that's about 24 million US vets dead. The figures just don't add up. Also take into account that nearly all of European men/women fought in the WWII, so there will be a lot more European vets then US vets. If you said 1000 vets (axis and allies) die everyday that would be much more realistic.

wow guys.......yes and yes..... But it's 1000 US vets per day. Add in allied forces the number is greater. All I did was read a few websites, nothing more.

As for the ORIGINAL intent of this link before the gent from NZ changed it :S, the pics are awesome.

All Veterans ..................................................... 687,576 (averages to 1,884 per day)
World War II veterans (subset of above) ......... 374,288 (averages to 1,025 per day)

Same approximate number of deaths be day quoted by Dept. of Veterans Affairs in 2008.

Bollocks to you sir!

I find that very hard to believe considering there were roughly 16 million US men/women serving in WWII, and the rest about 84 million were European/Australian/Japanese/Russian etc. Yet the rest account for less then half the total deaths per year[:/] I find that extremely hard to believe. Unless that year where the figures were taken was an extremely bad year for US Vets

The rest probably died at a steadier, higher rate over the entire 55 years. Many of the other countries may have had a higher average age of their service men. The American's probably enjoyed a longer, healthier life and are now dying at a higher rate.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

They are fortunate ????? Wow You are something...:S

I think he meant that they survived the war that cost them so many friends, came home and had a chance to live full, rich lives well into their eighties. I couldn't ask for much more.

I've had the honor of knowing some of people who fought in that war. It was fascinating to hear some of their stories, not necessarily from the fighting. It was funny, though, most seemed reluctant to talk about it until they figured you really wanted to hear, but not judge.

Borris73: You need to do some research and think about what people are saying...

You have no clue what you’re talking about. The number of 1,000 WWII veterans dying a day is not a number anyone has claimed for the entire time from the first day after hostilities ceased till today.

The number is accurate in that since the veterans are aging and in their 80’s and 90’s now they are dying at that rate. As a matter of fact, about 8 years ago the number was more about 1,200 to 1,500 a day.

In the 1950’s these veterans were in their 30’s and were healthy. Now that they are in their 80’s and 90’s they are succumbing to deaths related to old-age and/or service related injuries.

And your overall numbers of people that served are way off.

Just for the U.S. alone there were a total of 16,112,566 service members, 291,557 battle deaths, 113,842 non theater deaths, 671,846 non mortal injuries, and 3,242,000 surviving service members (Veterans Administration estimate as of Nov. 2008).

And these numbers do not even take into account forces that the War Department did not consider a part of their reportable muster; line the Alaska Territorial Guard.

For example: the numbers official reported number of 3,242,000 surviving service members is double that of your GUESS! :o

The number of deaths per day is an estimate from the VA and has been researched and confirmed by media organizations that have counter political views; so it is a number I would tend to trust.

Make sure you research your facts and get things straight before you start spouting erroneous numbers. I work with WWII veterans as part of the Honor Flight network and you are doing them an injustice perpetuating wrong information. >:(

Bollocks to you sir!

I find that very hard to believe considering there were roughly 16 million US men/women serving in WWII, and the rest about 84 million were European/Australian/Japanese/Russian etc. Yet the rest account for less then half the total deaths per year[:/] I find that extremely hard to believe. Unless that year where the figures were taken was an extremely bad year for US Vets

You're reading it wrong. The figures you're replying to are US Vets of all wars vs US Vets of WW2 - not All Vets of WW2 vs US vets of WW2.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?