JohnnyMarko

Do experienced jumpers hate new jumpers?

I think there's a middle ground of jumpers with some experience who think they know it all and like to look down on people who are greener than they are.

But the really experienced and successful skydivers, the world champions? In my experience they are some of the most likeable and least condescending people I've met.

What gets my goat isn't the attitude of experienced to inexperienced skydivers: it's the attitude of jumpers in general to non-jumpers. >:(

Get hurt or die.
Hurt others or cause pain or death.
Quit the sport for the wrong reasons.
Make bad decisions.
Being a wuss wad.
Not ask questions.
Not listen to good advice.

Ironically, in my experience, it's the more experienced jumpers that exhibit these traits. Much more frequently than the n00bs.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

It's a simple question...most of you old turds are assholes to new people on here

I'm far from an "old turd", but generally the newbies who ask sensible questions and at least pretend to listen to the answers seem to be treated well.

Stuff like:
"I'm starting AFF next week, what kind of gear should I buy?"

"I've got 30 jumps, why can't I jump with a camera?"

"I'm a fast learner, why can't I downsize 2 sizes right away?"

Those kind of questions tend to bring out the asshole in some folk.

Responding to the nicer answers to the above questions with "You guys don't know me, I'm not like that" or similar statements that imply the experienced guys don't know what they are talking about will start the "mad skilz" and "bounce bingo" comments.

There's lots of newer jumpers on here who are treated well. They are the ones who started off nice, and showed a reasonable amount of respect towards the ones who know what they are doing. (Lasting double digit years in a sport that isn't very forgiving of mistakes is usually more than dumb luck)

Of course, there are those who are assholes to everybody, new, old, and in between. Those guys run the range from new to old. For some reason they tend to be more in the 300-500 jump range. They know just enough to be dangerous, and still have no idea how much they don't know.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It's a simple question...most of you old turds are assholes to new people on here

I voted "No". There are plenty of a-holes on here (at times myself included, but usually only in SC ;)) but the ones with the numbers do tend to be that way toward new jumpers. They need to realize that their jump numbers are just that 'jump numbers'. It's not like it's how many lives you've saved or how many chicks you've slept with. :D
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

the title says, "hate new jumpers" then you claim old jumpers are assholes, that is two different things

hate is a strong word asshole

learn to communicate then come back later, and don't ask any stupid questions or ones that have been asked 100 times already :ph34r:
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

[Beck's] [Budweiser] [Heineken][Michelob Ultra][Old Milwaukee][Busch][Sam Adams][Harp][Corona][Guiness][Coors] [Miller] [all the lites]-

Here is my virtual beer paid. I am a chick, but not a hot one, so hopefully this should give me credit for any stupid questions I may pose since I am a newbie ;)' B|

THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

It's not like it's how many lives you've saved or how many chicks you've slept with.

*** I disagree, I believe that there is a direct correlation between jump numbers and the number of chicks bagged. No decent DZ girl wants to lay down with a newb with a Napolean complex, and thier tiny little swooper like penises don't help either.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

dont get me wrong, I admire anyone with experience, but when a newbie asks a question (most of which are stupid) they get attacked...were you guys students at once? or do you enter the sport with 1500 jumps?
*** I think you're selling yourself short. Most newbie questions aren't stupid, all of them are. I don't think newbs should be allowed to post here until they at least 500 jumps and 3 cutaways. Oh, and yes, I hate you.

HA HA! oh... Wait a minute!
AKA MG Hammer Flying Hellfish #834 Son's Of Bacon #1

One day, in your near future, I hope,
you will celebrate your 1111 jump.
For whatever reason few people will attend.
No party
No friends
No girls :(

Coming home, hitting dz.com... there's your target:
a young guy, great car, girls.. but
inexperienced!
there's your vent - hit it, let it blow!

Some are like this, some are great!
Happens to the rest - happens to the best.

What goes around, comes later.

I resent that! I am NOT a turd!

i've been reading this thread since it started,,, and was WAITING for someone to post Exactly what i felt!!!...Thanks popsjumper
some of us might BE assholes,,,,;) but we are warm hearted assholes..:P

some of what others have mentioned is accurate,, and there can often be differences among age groups, ANYwhere..
not sure how jumpers in Jmarkos' country act, but i've seen and try to follow by example,,, a genuine welcoming approach, to anyone entering our sport... I was granted that, when i started, and have always happily, given back, helped out, steered to the right instructors,,, anyone who asked anything of me...:|
The O P may be pointing out a disparity , in general society at large,,,,between one 'generation' and the next...
The Profile of the O P says "college student"...
and that speaks volumes...
For many of us,, OUR college days were 30 and 40 years AGO... and OUR upbringing, our "indoctrination into life", and our techniques for being "disciplined" were vastly different , than they've been the last 10 or 20 years..

We "old turds, and assholes" had much expected of us.. especially if we were raised in the 50's and 60's and 70's We were TOLD what to do, not Asked...[:/] Decisions were made FOR us,, by parents AND ...:o Yikes,, other Authority Figures....!!! Teachers, bosses, cops, etc..
Free will??? Choice?? Decision making responsibility??? all THAT came, only once we demonstrated that we were capable of those things...not as a birthright....:S
Lately Kids are 'given the Pat on the back", whether they earn it or not..
They are told that THEY can decide on things, when they aren't even out of "short pants" yet. They have little experience, but lots of 'authority',, hell in some families, pre teen KIDS,, are calling the shots,, mostly through juvenile misbehavior, when they don't "get what they want".. so the parents cave,,, cause " we can't have little Susie,, or little Johnny getting upset.." hahah it's getting ridiculous....

What you might interpret J Marko, as a skydiver thing,,, is possibly your growing awareness that there are ( And Should be ) differences in general between "old people " and " young people"...
luckily for our sport. there ARE experienced people, with deep history and reverence for the sport and a desire to share that..who are NOT jerks....but mentors..
Your inabilty to see that might be a downfall..
I see a trend the last 10 or 15 years that teens and pre-teens tend Not to "blindly offer respect and cordiality" to someone, simply cause that someone , is Older.. Those "know it all teens" feel... "THEY sould respect ME!!!! first...otherwise, i won't give 'em the time of day".. and " if they don;t treat me well,,, i won't treat them well".. WTF???

A newbie/intermediate level jumper would do well to figure out who the "giving" jumpers are... express at least a small amount of Graditude.. and learn to follow their example.
Asking questions is fine,, but we can also LEARN,, simply be being on a dropzone, and LISTENING to any wide variety of instructional conversations... If you're always about asking the question... that can sometimes make you too busy, to hear an answer,,, BEFORE the question even needs to be asked...
skydive safely

jmy

Are you asking about skydivers or people on this site who also skydive?

Some people here still skydive???:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

> but unfortunately I don't get to do that on here because I'm at the bottom
>of the Totem pole

Don't sell yourself short! You have gotten a good start at being condescending here.

At both Lost Prairie and Rantoul it was common for the last jumper boarding the plane to say "Hey asshole!" and for everyone to reply "What?" "Make way for the Muff Brothers!" was traditionally answered by "FUCK THE MUFF BROTHERS!" (This backfired one day when an FAA official wanted to observe a load, and so the loader said quite sincerely "hey, guys, make way for the FAA guy.") It's not really a sport for thin skinned people.

Lots of people on here are opinionated when it comes to safety stuff. Mostly it's because they've seen other people die and it hit them pretty hard, so they want to avoid that with other people. Many don't do that in a "politically correct" fashion, so sometimes feelings get hurt.

Are you asking about skydivers or people on this site who also skydive?

People on here...I'm just glad I could push some peoples buttons on here cause apparently some of you are fired up about this pole...

People at the DZ are nice to me, not so much on here...and I haven't even asked stupid questions!!

I think a poll should be: Do Newbie jumpers hate experienced jumpers".B|

There are lots of people that will help you out, just like the "old farts" did with us. But that happens at the real DZ, in person, not Dork Zone.com.:P

And when you do something sort of dangerous or stupid at the DZ and an old fart tells you about it, don't get your panties in a bunch.:S:P

And I agree with the fact that some "experienced" jumpers do the stupidest shit I have ever seen.:S[:/]

I guess my original question shouldve been clearer...I dont hate experienced jumpers at the DZ or on dropzone.com....I only get advice from my instructors or people at the DZ and laugh at anything I read on here...granted some stuff on here is OK but I think the dumbest 'n00bs' only post on here and dont give a shit what their instructors say

[We "old turds, and assholes" had much expected of us.. especially if we were raised in the 50's and 60's We were TOLD what to do, not Asked...[:/] Decisions were made FOR us,, by parents AND ...:o Yikes,, other Authority Figures....!!! Teachers, bosses, cops, etc..
Free will??? Choice?? Decision making responsibility??? all THAT came, only once we demonstrated that we were capable of those things...not as a birthright....:S

Well said!!

But, I'm not sure this is a new thing. I can remember hearing this same conversation about us "kids" back in the 50's and 60's. In truth, I think we've just migrated from being the "punk kids" to become the "Old Farts".

To the OP... You're not being blasted for your question; rather, you're being attacked for the tone and condescending manner in which you ask the question. Also, don’t be so quick to confuse feeble attempts at sarcasm as criticism.

Oh! And, the whole lighten up cupcake/princess thing….. Funny Shit!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Also, don’t be so quick to confuse feeble attempts at sarcasm as criticism.

I know most everything said on here is sarcasm...and if anyone is actually getting mad at me for this, its kinda sad that people would let a 20 year old jag-bag get under their skin...just sayin