shropshire

Good film but they are royally fucking up the release. There will be another version released this fall with special feature and then another this time next year with the 30+ minutes of deleted scenes and more special feature and then in late 2011 they are talking about releasing a BluRay 3D version and the cycle will repeat.:S

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Good film but they are royally fucking up the release. There will be another version released this fall with special feature and then another this time next year with the 30+ minutes of deleted scenes and more special feature and then in late 2011 they are talking about releasing a BluRay 3D version and the cycle will repeat.:S

I've never seen the point of adding deleted scenes. Basically you're just adding a bunch of shit that wasn't good enough to show in what acceptable for the final copy. Granted, there are exception - and Apocalypse Now (REDUX) was NOT one of them.

As for the movie no point in getting the DVD until all the 3D home theater glitches are worked out. The movie was just.....OK.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

to say the movie was okay is being kind. I had heard the hype, and bought it right away, thank God the store had it on sale! What a waste. The CG was cool, but it moved about as quickly as a constipated snail shits. Needless to say i was very disapointed

I've never seen the point of adding deleted scenes. Basically you're just adding a bunch of shit that wasn't good enough to show in what acceptable for the final copy. Granted, there are exception - and Apocalypse Now (REDUX) was NOT one of them.

Sometimes, some scenes are deleted because the film must not exceed a certain duration, for commercial reasons (fucking studio executives...). In this case, adding the deleted scenes greatly improves the quality of the movie, since it allows the director to show what he really meant in the first place (adding depth to the characters, showing "unnecessary" but interesting plot details, etc...).
Of course I'm talking about quality movies here, not blockbusters...
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

I'm with you on that. Much of the extra footage 'reinstated' for the Redux version spoiled the whole tone for me. All that jokey stuff with the theft of Kilgore's surfboard felt like it had been dropped in from a very different movie!

Regarding Avatar, I haven't seen it yet. But it was selling for just £9 in UK supermarkets on regular old DVD - not the typical price for an 'event' release. I didn't see a Blu-Ray option, else I'd probably have bought it.

to say the movie was okay is being kind. I had heard the hype, and bought it right away, thank God the store had it on sale! What a waste. The CG was cool, but it moved about as quickly as a constipated snail shits. Needless to say i was very disapointed

The CG was the whole point of the movie.

On a big 3-D cinema screen it totally rocked, but I have no plans to get it on DVD, it just wouldn't be the same film on the small screen.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

in late 2011 they are talking about releasing a BluRay 3D version and the cycle will repeat.

I'm also wondering why they didn't do a 3-D release. 3-D televisions are now available (albeit only one manufacturer).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

BluRay 3d was just ratified as a standard a few months back and they are still dialing in a lot of the specifics behind it. Sure they could have done the stupid Cyan/Red glasses thing but that would have completely ruined the movie since it was all about the details and the colors so the only way to really do it right would have been to do the shutter glasses/TV screen and those are not at a market point that is really worth targeting now. By late 2011 they should be to the point where it will drive consumers to purchase the sets and the players so they can recoup the investment in the new format.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Do you have a pair of the shutter glasses? Outside of those its worthless to show it in any other format. Most consumers don't so until it reaches a saturation point the manufacturers just won't do it. [:/]

Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Sometimes, some scenes are deleted because the film must not exceed a certain duration, for commercial reasons (fucking studio executives...). In this case, adding the deleted scenes greatly improves the quality of the movie, since it allows the director to show what he really meant in the first place (adding depth to the characters, showing "unnecessary" but interesting plot http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_reply_write;quote=1;parent_post_id=3851768details, etc...).
Of course I'm talking about quality movies here, not blockbusters...

Examples of where it works...I have to tend towards the sci-fi genre: Dune, Blade Runner. Usually, it just detracts/distracts from the pace and tone of a movie.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Examples of where it works...I have to tend towards the sci-fi genre: Dune, Blade Runner. Usually, it just detracts/distracts from the pace and tone of a movie.

Obviously it's very subjective, but imho some of the best director's cuts are: Brazil, True Romance, Apocalypse Now, Abyss, Leon, Terminator 2, Close Encounters of the Third Kind
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

Obviously it's very subjective, but imho some of the best director's cuts are: Brazil, True Romance, Apocalypse Now, Abyss, Leon, Terminator 2, Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Wow, I didn't even know there were alternate cuts of some of thos movies. I think Brazil is fantastic - I'd like to see the director's cut.

Aliens was, I thought, hugely improved by the addition of the extra footage. Made the whole Ripley/ Newt relationship more meaningful.

But I think Blade Runner (director's cut/ final cut) is for me the most improved film ever. It added to the Deckard-as-replicant theme, and got rid of the awful voiceover and the tagged on happy ending. The result is genius. :)

Wow, I didn't even know there were alternate cuts of some of thos movies. I think Brazil is fantastic - I'd like to see the director's cut.

Yeah, Brazil is an incredible movie. It's a very good example of what I was saying about studio executive modifying profoundly a movie in order to make it more consumer-friendly. There was a big fight between Gilliam and Universal about that movie, and it resulted in 3 very different versions:
- The "Love conquers all" version (94 minutes) with an happy ending.
- The "US" version (132 minutes), made for the american public.
- The "european" version (142 minutes) considered by Gilliam to be the "real" version, ending on a dark note.

Dudeist Skydiver #101

Yeah, Brazil is an incredible movie. It's a very good example of what I was saying about studio executive modifying profoundly a movie in order to make it more consumer-friendly. There was a big fight between Gilliam and Universal about that movie, and it resulted in 3 very different versions:
- The "Love conquers all" version (94 minutes) with an happy ending.
- The "US" version (132 minutes), made for the american public.
- The "european" version (142 minutes) considered by Gilliam to be the "real" version, ending on a dark note.

Oh, in that case I have seen the 'definitive' version. Yeah, pretty bleak ending - and all the better for it.

They could easily release a 3D version now. There is plenty of technology out there for it (especially on computers). They just want people to buy the regular version now, and then buy the 3D one again down the road. All a marketing scam

Agreed. The supposition that they shouldn't release it now, because the market isn't ready doesn't explain why several other DVDs have already been release for 3-D. Like LOTR, they want you to buy the first DVD release, then the second, then the third, ad infinitum.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Do you have a pair of the shutter glasses? Outside of those its worthless to show it in any other format. Most consumers don't so until it reaches a saturation point the manufacturers just won't do it. [:/]

Yeah, I do. I know most people obviously don't, but the way things are going, it won't be too long till at least those "next big thing" types of people have em. With the release of 3D tvs now (aka 120hz which have been out for a while... just have a new "3D ready!" marketing twist), it's just a short matter of time.