banesanura

To protein shake...or Not to protein shake?

Sounds right for a little girl.

My wife who works out 2X a day does fine on 1000 cals.
She's 5'2" & 110

If that's true, then that's very efficient if she runs a marathon on just 1200 calories (and whatever she's got stored in muscle).

I know that the 1200 calories eaten efficiently can generate more energy than 2400 calories eaten inefficiently. Such as several tiny meals throughout the whole day rather than fewer big meals, good nutritional balance so that not much excess isn't stored or excreted/pissed out... Good timing of electrolyte drinks, not too much or little.... She must be balancing her carb-protien-fat percentages in her food very well! Little things like that...

Throw in a little miscalculation, and maybe it's 1500 truly, but still, very efficient if she's running a marathon. Especially if she's successfully getting close to the front. I imagine some strenous days might have a calorie deficit, slight amount of muscle get lost, but gets replenished in subsequent days, if your wife's weight is remaining stable.

I have read that it is normal for some athletes to lose muscle during major competitive events, as long as the muscle is intentionally restored / slightly built up prior to the event, specifically to be lost. (Like some people burn fat as energy, but instead building muscle stores to be used up during a marathon). Happens all the time at the Olympics anyway... Works for them...

Extra power above and beyond daily caloric intake, in a professional athlete, often comes from both a mix of fat burning and muscle burning, for maximum power during an endurance Olympics event... That's why many Olympics athletes claim they need a month to recover from a major event!

Well the plan is to use a shake to subsitute eating high quanties of tuna/chicken.

1 can of tuna (depending on brand) is 9-12g of protein.

I eat probably one can a day. One scoop of protein shake will deliver 24g of protein.

I haven't started my work out as of yet. Just light cardio/weights right now so I can ease myself into the workouts.

Though the work out will be 1 hour of cardio- running at a min of 5.5
One hour of lifting- High intensity lifting.

Objective- to lose 3 lbs a week for 10 weeks.
Objective- weight 120

Right now: 157lbs
Height: 5'4

do not go forward with this plan. you will fail.

here are a few things wrong with your plan:

by creating such a huge calorie deficit, your body is going to think it is starving and slow down your rmetabolism. it will store fat and catabolize muscle. you will lose weight, but your body fat percentage will go up.

protein contains nitrogen. increasing the amount of nitrogenous waste also increases the amount of water excreted (you pee more) making you vulnerable to dehydration.

high protein diets also cause you to excrete more calcium in your urine. as a woman its even more important for you to keep the calcium you've got and with rigorous exercise, you'll need it to strengthen your bones.

if you keep up this plan for 10 weeks, you will feel like shit, and you won't look good enough to justify the misery you will put yourself through.

if you want to lose weight, feed your body the right fuel and exercise. you also must feed your body enough fuel. your daily calorie deficits should be small, and you should make sure you are getting the right things at the right times with respect to your workouts. the weight will not come off as quick as you want, but your metabolism will ramp up and your body composition will change. you will look and feel much better in the end.

think of it as an investment. in your line of work, looking healthier (and hotter) can command more money than just being skinny.

What he said.

+1

This is a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
especially the biochemistry part.

About 70% of a human's total energy expenditure is due to the basal life processes within the organs of the body (see table). About 20% of one's energy expenditure comes from physical activity and another 10% from thermogenesis, or digestion of food (postprandial thermogenesis).[4]

Studies published in 1992[5] and 1997[6] indicate that the level of aerobic fitness of an individual does not have any correlation with the level of resting metabolism. Both studies find that aerobic fitness levels do not improve the predictive power of fat free mass for resting metabolic rate.

This means it is unclear whether aerobic exercise is effective in raising the RMR (or BMR).

Anaerobic exercise, (such as weight lifting), builds additional muscle mass, which is fat free mass. Additional fat free mass will lead to a higher resting metabolic rate according to the above studies.

During one week of my life, I was consuming 3500 kcal/day. I lost 2 kg during that week. I didn't want to, but it was a rather stressful week with a lot of work to be done. While we don't share the same metabolic rate, I find it very hard to believe that you will be doing your body any good while excercising and only eating 1200 kcal/day. That's less than your BMR, I'm sure. You will lose weight, but not in a healthy way. You're also likely to gain that weight after you stop starving your body, and in the process you've lowered your metabolic rate and you've lost muscle mass.

I'm not that into exercising so I can't really recommend any weight loss scheme for you, but starving yourself isn't the way to go.

This has been a very informative post. I think there are several good points that have been made. Here is what I have been doing for about 2 months (maybe a little more) and it has resulted in about a 12 pound weight loss. I have been on a plateau for several weeks now, but I continue in my routine and am confident my body is becoming stronger and healthier (even if the scale isn't moving I am losing inches where I want to).

I don't count calories.
I do keep a food/exercise journal. I bought it from Amazon and I fill in breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, there is a place to check off water intake and vitamins/supplements and also a section on fitness broken down by cardio/weights. I fill this out every single day. It keeps me in check.
Once a week I weigh myself and measure and record that (there is a section to do so at the end of every week).
I do 60 minutes of cardio 4 days a week.
I do 30 minutes of cardio plus a full strength training routine twice per week.
Like Trophy said pick something to train for and that will motivate you to stay on track. I have completed two mini marathons (one in Louisville and one in Indianapolis). Find a race (start with a 5K) register and train for it. I'm only a couple hours away... would be happy to have a "virtual training buddy" for a common race.

Good luck! And keep the posts coming.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Sounds right for a little girl.

My wife who works out 2X a day does fine on 1000 cals.
She's 5'2" & 110

If that's true, then that's very efficient if she runs a marathon on just 1200 calories (and whatever she's got stored in muscle).

That 1000 cals is a 'normal' day, for the week prior to running a marathon she of course has a certain routine that prepares her FOR that run...and is constantly taking in during the 26 miles...she seems to recover after about 3days, but no she's not up front running with the Keyans

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

but no she's not up front running with the Keyans

Only Kenyans are up front running with each other. I mean if you ran from Lions everyday at 8000' Altitude you would be fast too!!

They win the Rock and Roll Half Marathon every year in Virginia Beach
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

but no she's not up front running with the Keyans

Only Kenyans are up front running with each other. I mean if you ran from Lions everyday at 8000' Altitude you would be fast too!!

They win the Rock and Roll Half Marathon every year in Virginia Beach

My wife runs the Rome marathon every year...like most marathons they start ya in groups according to probable finish times.

I watched my honey take off, walked a couple blocks to the B&B we stay at near the Colosseum for a quick shower and just caught the race leaders going by as I stepped out...:o

They FINISH faster than I can run!! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~