banesanura

To protein shake...or Not to protein shake?

so I'm on this strict diet and workout plan.

My boyfriend has this jar of protein...and I'm thinking of adding it into my mix.

Should I?

I'm on a 1200 cal a day
Super low carb
High Protein

One scoop is 170 Cal which I could subsitute for one of my 6 small meals.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

why are you wanting to add this?

If you are already on a high protein diet then you are just substituting one source of protein for another.

The only big benefit to protein shake is to quickly ingest the protein if you need it for muscle repair (like after heavy lifting).

1200 cals is not very many, especially if you are working out much. Doesn't sound like the best diet to me, but there aren't many details.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

1200 cals is not very many, especially if you are working out much. Doesn't sound like the best diet to me, but there aren't many details.

Sounds right for a little girl.

My wife who works out 2X a day does fine on 1000 cals.
She's 5'2" & 110

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well the plan is to use a shake to subsitute eating high quanties of tuna/chicken.

1 can of tuna (depending on brand) is 9-12g of protein.

I eat probably one can a day. One scoop of protein shake will deliver 24g of protein.

I haven't started my work out as of yet. Just light cardio/weights right now so I can ease myself into the workouts.

Though the work out will be 1 hour of cardio- running at a min of 5.5
One hour of lifting- High intensity lifting.

Objective- to lose 3 lbs a week for 10 weeks.
Objective- weight 120

Right now: 157lbs
Height: 5'4
Best Girl Scout Ever.

My wife is very interested in sports nutrition and working out and all that. She is the same height as you, and right at your target weight (120).

Here's a couple things to consider from what I've learned from her and my own workout research.

Many small meals a day is a great plan. It boosts your metabolism and keeps you from highs and lows throughout the day. You'll consistently feel satisfied and won't be craving bad foods.

With that said, 1200 is not nearly enough for an hour of heavy lifting and an hour of cardio. Even if you're trying to lose weight, your body won't be able to sustain itself. How much will you need exactly? Hard to say. Here's an easily solution though...

Eat all you want. There, I said it. If you're that active (and actually maintain that level of activity) your body will tell you what it needs. Don't try to go hungry. On that note, you must stick to healthy foods. Heavy on greens, light on red meat, heavy on chicken and fish, light on dairy, etc. Common sense really. Cook for yourself. Make lots of salads. Don't eat processed bs.

In a day, if you're not in the mood to work out, weight lifting is more effective than cardio.

At first you might not lose much weight... it takes time. You will be converting fat to muscle, so you might even gain weight! In time though, the excess energy stored in your system will wear down. It just takes time.

And for the original question... no. Protein shakes are total BS. Along those line, pretty much all supplements are bs except for normal multivitamins. If you have the protein powder there, and you want to make a fruit smoothie with it or something, go for it. But, eating a piece of chicken will give you all the protein you need. So stacking it on top of your other meals means you'll just end up pooping the extra protein out.

Well, there's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

There are three proven supplements. Protein is one. Whey protein is generally regarded as the best. I have it when I get up in the morning, between meals and before bed at night. You don't need that much because you don't want size, but it is an excellent 'small meal' when whole foods aren't convenient. Go for it.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Well the plan is to use a shake to subsitute eating high quanties of tuna/chicken.

I eat probably one can a day. One scoop of protein shake will deliver 24g of protein.

I haven't started my work out as of yet. Just light cardio/weights right now so I can ease myself into the workouts.

Objective- weight 120

do not go forward with this plan. you will fail.

here are a few things wrong with your plan:

by creating such a huge calorie deficit, your body is going to think it is starving and slow down your rmetabolism. it will store fat and catabolize muscle. you will lose weight, but your body fat percentage will go up.

protein contains nitrogen. increasing the amount of nitrogenous waste also increases the amount of water excreted (you pee more) making you vulnerable to dehydration.

high protein diets also cause you to excrete more calcium in your urine. as a woman its even more important for you to keep the calcium you've got and with rigorous exercise, you'll need it to strengthen your bones.

if you keep up this plan for 10 weeks, you will feel like shit, and you won't look good enough to justify the misery you will put yourself through.

if you want to lose weight, feed your body the right fuel and exercise. you also must feed your body enough fuel. your daily calorie deficits should be small, and you should make sure you are getting the right things at the right times with respect to your workouts. the weight will not come off as quick as you want, but your metabolism will ramp up and your body composition will change. you will look and feel much better in the end.

think of it as an investment. in your line of work, looking healthier (and hotter) can command more money than just being skinny.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

She's 5'2" & 110

I highly doubt that. Unless getting up in the morning counts as one of the work outs and going to bed is the other one, and even then.

Sounds like the calories are not being counted correctly. Are you absolutely sure she is consistently consuming only 1,000 cal a day?

If your goal is to lose weight, you don't need any other supplement other than multivitamin, to make sure that you are not missing important nutrients due to a diet you are trying to strictly regulate. Focus on Cardio and eating small portions of low-fat, low-sodium & low carb foods throughout the day.

Cardio can be very boring. Check your gym for kickboxing, club boxing and other high energy cardio/dance classes. I sweat more doing 15 minutes of those than an hour on a treadmill.
For diet, look into Paleo Diet.

If your goal is muscle toning or a little muscle gain, you're adding more weight-lifting exercises to your cardio routine. Then you might want to start looking into low dose of zero-carb protein drinks or shakes. My favorite is Zero-carb Isopure drink. They taste like cool-aid:) Drink half 30 min prior to your gym routine and the other half within 30 minutes after finishing your workout. If you feel faint or weak during exercise, try eating a banana before heading to the gym.

If your goal is to primarily gain muscles then you definitely need more protein in your diet. Protein supplements are a must if you are not getting enough from your daily meals to build & feed lean muscles, and if you are trying to prevent lean muscle depletion when you are highly active. Watching your body fat % lets you monitor a possible lean muscle depletion. This happened to me when I was doing too much cardio and wasn't taking enough protein.

Drink lots of water.

Good luck!
Don't worry about fear, worry about the addiction.

Objective- weight 120

do not go forward with this plan. you will fail.

here are a few things wrong with your plan:

by creating such a huge calorie deficit, your body is going to think it is starving and slow down your rmetabolism. it will store fat and catabolize muscle. you will lose weight, but your body fat percentage will go up.

protein contains nitrogen. increasing the amount of nitrogenous waste also increases the amount of water excreted (you pee more) making you vulnerable to dehydration.

high protein diets also cause you to excrete more calcium in your urine. as a woman its even more important for you to keep the calcium you've got and with rigorous exercise, you'll need it to strengthen your bones.

if you keep up this plan for 10 weeks, you will feel like shit, and you won't look good enough to justify the misery you will put yourself through.

if you want to lose weight, feed your body the right fuel and exercise. you also must feed your body enough fuel. your daily calorie deficits should be small, and you should make sure you are getting the right things at the right times with respect to your workouts. the weight will not come off as quick as you want, but your metabolism will ramp up and your body composition will change. you will look and feel much better in the end.

think of it as an investment. in your line of work, looking healthier (and hotter) can command more money than just being skinny.

What he said.

She's 5'2" & 110

I highly doubt that. Unless getting up in the morning counts as one of the work outs and going to bed is the other one, and even then.

Sounds like the calories are not being counted correctly. Are you absolutely sure she is consistently consuming only 1,000 cal a day?

Yup...

And this time of year it's~ one hour of Zumba in the morning (she's an instructor) and an hour of weights & treadmill in the afternoon, nearly every day.

She just ran her 25th marathon, she understands nutrition and is fairly religious regarding diet...yes it does occasionally go up to 1200 cals. but her target is 1000 and for the most part, sticks to it.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If your goal is to lose weight, you don't need any other supplement other than multivitamin, to make sure that you are not missing important nutrients due to a diet you are trying to strictly regulate. Focus on Cardio and eating small portions of low-fat, low-sodium & low carb foods throughout the day.

Not true - you need muscle to burn calories. You can do hours of cardio a day and all your body will do is become very good at storing fat rather than burning it. See TrohpyHusband's post.

If you want to loose weight look into high intensity interval training in addition to weight training. Protein shakes are a good protein source. There are lots of better, more appropriate forum to ask this question on (or begin research on). Most skydivers I know aren't in the best of shape. ;)

I am guessing this is not about the protien shake I usually offer to women!

If you shake it more than twice, you're playin' with it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I usually have a protein shake on waking to stop any catabolic action. I have a breakfast of a serving of fruit, half a dozen egg whites and skim milk. Mid morning is another protein shake. Lunch is lean meat and veggies or salad. Mid afternoon is another protein shake. Dinner is like lunch. A protein shake preceeds sleep to stave off catabolic action. I drink roughly a gallon of water per day and work out most every day.

Let me know if you think this has caused poor results.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

My friend is a figure competitor. She also competes in strength competitions.

A lot of the women in her group use This Site for nutrition
and recipe information. It focuses on women bodybuilders.
(I use a few of the recipes myself. I found they are
amazingly tasty. It is easy to eat well if it tastes good.)

The easiest way to improve you nutrition is to list your
10 most-used recipes. Identify the two worst and replace
them with two good ones from this website.
Improvement without giving anything up.

TrophyHusband is right. This is all you need to know:

"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports."

There are a bunch of CrossFit affiliates in ATL; don't know which one is closest to you, but start here:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/

http://www.crossfitatlanta.com/
"Fuck that. I'll take a good ass-pounding over a bj any day." -- pyrotech

I should just move to a country where they like chunky women so people can think I'm rich.

Fuck. me.

I just took some "before" pictures....even though I already have some when I was like 200 lbs.

i've got a suggestion for you. forget about losing weight. sign up for a race and write the date on a calendar. having paid for it and having it marked on a calendar will motivate you to train for it. once you complete that race, sign up for another one.

look on trifind.com, active.com, or just google around for a race. pick anything. 5k's are really fun. sprint triathlons are fun. you said you're getting a bike. maybe a bike race would be good. if you have access to a pool and don't hate swimming, i would suggest triathlon or long distance swimming.

once you register for a race, train for that race. read books about training for that particular discipline. you will remain focused and your weight loss, while important, will become secondary to improving your fitness.

something that works for me to stave off tedium of training is the way i structure my training. i train in each discipline only 3 time a week and cross train 2 other days. i also ramp up the workouts for three weeks and then back way down the following week. i then ramp back up so that the next peak is higher than the last. it has worked out pretty well since right about the time i'm getting burned out, i have an easy week to get back into the groove.

another thing i've noticed is that i've paid a hell of a lot more attention to what i'm eating. that doesn't mean i don't eat pizza or icecream or have tasty adult beverages, it just means i do it less often.

another thing that has happened (this may be completely unique to me) is that all of my weight loss has come in spurts. i will plateau for several weeks and all of the sudden i will melt of 6-10 lbs in no time. in the last 7 months i've gone from 222 to 187 with definate changes in my body composition. (even though my wife says she's just as attracted to me whether i'm fat or thin, i got laid two days in a row for the first time in several years.)

try out a race, if it isn't for you, try something else, but if it works, you'll be happy with the results.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

in your line of work, looking healthier (and hotter) can command more money than just being skinny.

The bag-of-antlers looks is horribly unattractive!

The more important issue of the beginning of "I want to lose weight" is what is the underlying cause. When confidence and strength of personality is lacking, unhealthy actions tend to occur.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."