jumper03

Slinks!

Then why aren't more people jumping round mains if ram-airs aren't better?

It could be said that the Velocity is a "better" parachute than is the Spectre - higher performance, shallower glide angle, etc. But is a Velocity a "better" parachute for me than a Spectre would be? Absolutely not.

One size doesn't fit all. To each his/her own. What's better/right/perfect for you may not be what's better/right/perfect for someone else. Doesn't matter if we're discussing canopies, containers, AADs, connector links, pilot chutes, jumpsuits, altimeters... We each make our own decisions as to which equipment is "better."

The difference between a Spectre and Velocity is like the difference between a Slink and a Wrap-it soft link. The difference between a round and square is like the difference between a Slink and a Rapide link. New vs. old technology.

Soft links are an improvement and better than Rapide links like squares were an improvement on, and better than rounds.

If I am wrong, then I am in the majority, 81% at last count.

Derek

It could be said that the Velocity is a "better" parachute than is the Spectre

It could be said that way but it hasn't been.

So I'll restate the question. ;)

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Fashion. :P

It all depends on the application. imho for sport jumpers ram air mains are "better" - remember the old saying "a round will get you down but a square will get you there"?

But soldiers and some smokejumpers still jump round mains - for those applications someone has decided that rounds are "better."

We could take the argument further - when ram airs took over from rounds in the sport arena, landing injuries decreased - when I started jumping it was rare for anyone to break a bone landing but I heard many stories about injuries sustained under PC's. Now that zp ram airs have taken over from F111 ram airs, landing injuries are fairly common.

Are zp mains "better" than F111 mains? I think so and I'd guess that you do too. But if this is true, why do so many more people get hurt landing zp mains than did landing F111 mains? Isn't a canopy that requires less skill from the pilot to land safely "better"?

Thread drift is so much fun! :ph34r:

It all depends on the application. imho for sport jumpers ram air mains are "better"

Since this isn't smokejumper.military.dz.com ... that means we agree. :)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

OK, so if I narrow the statement down by (specifing the application) from "Slinks are better than Rapide links", to "Slinks are better for attaching a main or reserve canopy to risers in sport skydiving than Rapide links because they are stronger, less bulky, easier to install and inspect, don't damage the slider grommets, etc", would that work?

Derek

OK, so if I narrow the statement down by (specifing the application) from "Slinks are better than Rapide links", to "Slinks are better for attaching a main or reserve canopy to risers in sport skydiving than Rapide links because they are stronger, less bulky, easier to install and inspect, don't damage the slider grommets, etc", would that work?

Works for me.

But I'm still not going to rush out and put SLinks on my canopies as long Rapide links continue to work fine for my gear and how I fly it.

Better? Its is just a question of defining what is better.

I have 9 jumps on RS4/A East German made rig used mostly in military. They are about 74 m^2 in area.
They are more reliable, but more than 14kgs in weight, its a pain to pack and landings were unpredictable. Over 4m/s wind you can expect to land backwards....
Would you exchange your current gear for a RS4/A /BE-8(round reserve) ?

No? It seems your current gear is 'better', than that.

Hey Dude,

Watch your tone. Getting mad at someone over the internet is a worthless pursuit. It just makes you look bad. Please watch your tone and your language.
Spizzzarko
Rules The World!!!***

Hey, I don't see your name in green! Besides, who cares about his tone? He jumps a batwing. Let's face it, why bother using slinks on a batwing? That would be like getting a K&N filter for your Corolla. Ooooh, gotta pull that slider down and get some speed, right?

So I'll restate the question: "Then why aren't more people jumping round mains if ram-airs aren't better?"

The reason I jump a square parachute is because it's more fun to jump and it packs up smaller and I don't have to wear jump boots and I like the colors and It's easier to make it back from a bad spot and a whole bunch of other reasons. Not because it's better. That's like saying big tits are 'better' because they're bigger. No, they are just bigger! And if you like big tits than that makes them better to you, not to everyone.

A couple thousand posts and replys ago, you kept asking for evidence that soft links 'were not worse than' rapide links. Or something like that...

And now the best argument you can muster is whether some thing is 'better' than something else?

I'm going to resist the urge to get all 'insulting' with you because I ain't going down that road again. But, oohh, it's hard not to....

Brett
"It's only arrogance if you can't back it up"

You must have a lot of experience jumping Racers, huh? Have you tried a Firebolt yet? How many jumps do you have on a Batwing? It sounds like you might have a bit more experience than I do on those types of equipment. Maybe you could give me some pointers.
"It's only arrogance if you can't back it up"

You must have a lot of experience jumping Racers, huh? Have you tried a Firebolt yet? How many jumps do you have on a Batwing? It sounds like you might have a bit more experience than I do on those types of equipment. Maybe you could give me some pointers. ***

No, never jumped a Racer, but I've tried them on before. One was a tandem. It was really well built, and I bet they really are as comfortable as they say. I would jump a Racer in a second, if the velcro was in good shape, but it's not my first choice of containers. Of course, I'm jumping a Reflex, so what would I know? You could give me all kinds of shit about that.

I've got no interest in Firebolts, I was just being a dick. You see, as to the Batwing, well, yes, I'm afraid I have one of those dark secrets stuffed in a bag in my closet.

I got shamed for two years jumping that thing. Mostly I just blew it off. I figured I could swoop it okay, and I didn't think it was that bad of a canopy. Then one day a friend of mine intervened. We were up at Cross Keys having the usual good time to be had up there, and innocently, I started thinking out loud about getting a reline.

All of a sudden my friend just yelled at me to "Stop! Put the Batwing down, and step away from it slowly..." I was a little shocked. I looked at him and could see the tension in his eyes. I was puzzled, too, but then I could see other friends staring at me, as well. I thought about what I'd said, and slowly it began to dawn on me. They were right. The realization began to set in. I just had to put it down. Like most people with this kind of problem, I was in denial. It was tough to admit, but I had to come to grips with the fact that a Batwing is like an IROC-Z Camaro or a mullet. Long gone are the days when anyone will think you are cool for having one.

I'm really thankful to all my friends who cared enough to help me through that dark time. Thanks, Donnie, wherever you are.

So now I'll jump it at night when no one can see, or I'll ground launch it.

Unfortunately, no one will think you are cool for using french links, either. But they're okay for night jumps and ground launching.

You could call PD and ask, but generally speaking they come in packs of 4. See if some other jumpers or maybe a rigger could use the other 3 and split the cost of the pack with that person.

That's what I did to get 1 Slink for my D-bag attatchement.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."