jumpslo

Girlfriend's dog is driving me insane

The thing won't let me sleep. Wakes up every hour past 5am! I am a huge dog lover.. But she got this little mini Aussie without even seeing it first or meeting the breeder.. And it happens to have an insecurity that makes it a hard dog to deal with.. :S

The poll is obviously a figment of my imagination, but thought it would still be fun ;)

"Good rule of thumb; is what you are doing the EASIEST for You? Because if it is, it ain't going to work for the people around you."

The yappy ones are horrible! It's not even that it's a "small, yappy" dog.. Aussies (even the mini ones) are intelligent herding dogs, but some are prone to having insecurities, which makes them have anxiety/aggressive/and a lot harder to raise and deal with..

If she'd have met the breeder and the dog instead of forking over $500 on an impulse buy she would have been able to see this puppies problem and avoided the whole situation! :S

"Good rule of thumb; is what you are doing the EASIEST for You? Because if it is, it ain't going to work for the people around you."

And does it get rewarded with attention every morning or ignored?

No definitely ignored.. Except for this morning.. Diarrhea! The bark caller only works when it is audible enough such as a bark.. He has learned that "whining" doesn't set it off.. He's a smart little bugger..

But not smart enough to escape some teriyaki sauce and a wok! :ph34r:

I know this must sound crazy but take the dog to the vet and get some meds. My black lab had really bad separation anxiety when I just rescued her. Vet put her on prozac and I did some behavioral training and and we have been together for 9 years and she is best dog I have ever had. She is the most well behaved obedient dog. She was only on the meds for about 6 months. Prozac is a wonderful drug. I feel your pain yappy untrained little dogs even get on my nerves and try my patience.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

You left out 'new girlfriend' option...:ph34r:

Seriously, how about some training? I heard it really works...:S

Haha! That IS one option...

We took him to a class for dogs with aggression that stems from anxiety, which actually has helped a lot.. It is just a training and learning process from now on I guess..

Maybe a tranq gun.. I could get in in Mexico.. One that could puncture the skin of a rhino - You just took one to the jugular, man!

But just about the time you get her trained, she dumps you for someone else, and he reaps the benefits of all the training.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

But just about the time you get her trained, she dumps you for someone else, and he reaps the benefits of all the training.[:/]

...or it get the hose again! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The bark caller only works when it is audible enough such as a bark.. He has learned that "whining" doesn't set it off.. He's a smart little bugger..

Then you have to be smarter. He has learned that whining doesn't set it off so at night put him in a room farthest from the bedroom.

Oh, and do all that behavior modification stuff too.

Or you could buy him a friend. Two dogs might keep themselves entertained.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

The bark caller only works when it is audible enough such as a bark.. He has learned that "whining" doesn't set it off.. He's a smart little bugger..

Then you have to be smarter. He has learned that whining doesn't set it off so at night put him in a room farthest from the bedroom.

Oh, and do all that behavior modification stuff too.

Or you could buy him a friend. Two dogs might keep themselves entertained.

Just go to Missouri and let the cops know you have some dope on you - problem solved!:D:D:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I feel bad for the ya BobMoore, I have to deal with a little mouthy fucker too. She is my girls little, 6lb miniture pincher, somedays I'd like to pinch her fucking throat closed!!!... phew sorry just had to blow off some steam...she kept us up last night that little shit, btw she has the ability to be incredibly cute at times but I wish i could remove her voice box permanantly!!!!!
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

This is why I did my research and had many different types of dogs when I grew up. I found that dachshunds are energetic, but love sleeping too. Our two weenie dogs will run around and bark for 30 minutes or so when they get riled up, but right after that they are under the covers passed out on their backs with their legs up in the air.

I recently got a puppy and have been looking at a website called leerburg.com - they have a ton of free advice and a forum. You may be able to get info from them. They usually recommend crate training (I don't know if your gf does this) and they have specific guidelines on how to do this properly (including how to act when putting the dog in and taking the dog out of the crate, feeding the dog in the crate, leaving the dog in the crate for some time during the day while someone's home so that the dog realizes it's a normal fact of life, never putting the dog in the crate as punishment, etc.). I don't know how old the dog is but if it's a pup the insecurity is natural considering all they know is being with their mother and siblings 24/7. I'm having the same problem with the yelping at night right now but am hoping that this dissipates as my puppy gets older and realizes that being alone isn't so bad. Good luck to you and your girlfriend!
"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh