jumper596

1 year since last jump

I need some advice ---
I am going to start jumping again after almost a year of not. My rig, a Javelin, with Cypres and RSL, has been in a closet, in a gear bag, with both main and reserve canopies packed all this time. (Except for an occasional main practice packing session). I'm in AZ, so it's been dry, no humidity. My question: What should I do as far as maintenance, besides a reserve repack. After reading the latest and very sad incident from May 1st, I really want to make sure everything is in good working condition. The rig is in almost brand new condition as a result of my very infrequent jumping. The Cypres had a new battery installed about a year ago, so it's ok. Any advice would be appreciated.

*edited to add that of course, I'll also ask the manufacturer.

When you give it to a rigger for a repack, if you don't know them explain the situation. They should make sure and unpack the main for you, and a standard gear inspection of the harness, container and reserve should always be done as part of the repack process... along with flexing your 3-rings and cleaning cutaway cables.

Ask him or her questions, you can never know too much about your gear. If you start jumping frequently again, ask them about standard maintenance tips and what to look for in between repack cycles.

And welcome back! :)

Thanks Brittany!
I usually have one of 3 riggers I know at Skydive AZ repack my reserve. Since I jump so infrequently, safety is really the only thing on my mind when I go back after long layoffs. I am fascinated by parachutes, too, and have often thought about rigging, but I know how much time and commitment has to go into it, and I work 7 days a week at a job I love, so...
Since I haven't jumped for a while, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything, like gear bulletins etc... Even though I trust the riggers at the DZ, I'll still contact the manufacturers of my gear for advice as well as asking in this forum.