Fournier's Last Chance Has Been Lost. Now it's up to Baumgartner

Story

NORTH BATTLEFORD, Sask. — The latest attempt by a French adventurer to set a free-fall skydiving record from a helium balloon over western Saskatchewan has been scuttled again.

Michel Fournier planned to jump from a balloon at 40,000 metres altitude.

But Pat DeKock, one of the operators at the airport in North Battleford, Sask., says the attempt is over.

DeKock says she received a call from one of Fournier's team members saying the next attempt will be in August because they encountered technical difficulties.

The premature deployment of a rescue parachute is being blamed for the latest delay.

Fournier, a former paratrooper colonel, was forced to abort another attempt two years ago and bad weather forced him to scrub attempts in 2002 and 2003.

I believe this to be Michel's last chance for high-altitude glory, because the fat lady's warming up in the wings. Felix is likely going to nail it later this year, and Fournier's 20-year effort to break the record will likely have been in vain.

If and when that day comes, I will be delighted for Felix (say what you want about him, but I give credit where it's due. He's living large), but I will be very sorry for Michel, for I was there in 2002 in Saskatoon, when his first attempt was scrubbed. I spent some days in that delightful little prairie town (where Joni Mitchell once lived and performed for a while), got to know Michel and his crew, had a lot of laughs with them, interviewed Michel for Skydiving Magazine (through a translator, of course), and published a big story with sneaked pictures (AFP claimed exclusive publication rights, so I had to take snaps on the sly) about the whole thing.

It was quite an adventure for me as a journalist, and it was my first expensed assignment, meaning that Mike Truffer footed the whole shebang for me; e.g., Air Canada from Vancouver (to which I drove like a madman from Seattle to make my connection to Calgary that first evening), a rental car (which I chauffeured Michel around in at one point) and the best hotel in town (the same one Michel and his crew were staying in).

Given all that, it was a real bummer that I missed the opportunity to watch history being made before my eyes - how many such chances does one have in life? Precious few, I think, both for me, and for Monsieur Fournier....

Bon chance, Michel.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I believe this to be Michel's last chance.

Good thing that's only opinion. I hope you're wrong, nothing personal. Either way I wish the best to both attempting this high altitude record.

Yes, it is my opinion, and yes, I really do hope I'm wrong. It seems grossly unfair for someone (Michel) who has quietly soldiered on for decades to accomplish this, only to have the young(er) punk with the big sponsor (potentially) snatch it away from him.

I'm reminded of R.F. Scott versus Roald Amundsen in the race to the South Pole. Talk about first-place loser!

However, it isn't over til it's over. I'm hopeful that Michel can use Gartner as a lever to get more interest in funding his attempt. He may yet pull it off. Shoot, if I had the coin to bankroll an attempt, I'd give it to Michel.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Felix is likely going to nail it later this year, and Fournier's 20-year effort to break the record will likely have been in vain.

Why would it be so simple and flawless for Felix when fournier has succeeded in his 20 years of efforts?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

While they both are going for a greater altitude, thus possibly making the task more difficult...I still am curious on how long it took the military and to put together Kittinger's jump. Was it shorter due to the "lets just do it" attitude we had back then?

Yes, it is my opinion, and yes, I really do hope I'm wrong. It seems grossly unfair for someone (Michel) who has quietly soldiered on for decades to accomplish this, only to have the young(er) punk with the big sponsor (potentially) snatch it away from him.

Tell me about it. I'm still pissed at that moon landing thing NASA did in '69. I was so close.

I wonder if they would let me use the gear after all these guys get thru screwing around...

I want to get to that altitude... and do the jump as a SPEED SKYDIVE.. the hell with this slow ass shit.. I wanna go for 1000 MPH plus..since I can already go over 300MPH down here in the thick atmosphere from 13,500 feet

sheesh.

Come on people get the hell on with it already.

I still have hopes that Cheryl Stern will get the chance!

I would like to see her do it too but her website seems pretty dead. The last bit of news on it was dated in 2005.

Anybody know anything about her Strato Quest?

I talked to her in 2008, and she said it was still on, but was a money thing.....but it sure has been quiet about it since...[:/]