Cheach

This weather blows!

We're working on it........at least now we generally build ONE room in the house that's tornado proof.;)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

OR do tornadoes suck? The hail is crazy- That's for sure.

The storm chasers were excited about the Wichita area last evening as well, though nothing really materialized.

I have seen baseball sized hail, but don't think I've ever seen it punch holes in roof sheathing. We had hail that size in Wichita 10 or 15 years ago, but it hit in older construction, takes more to punch a hole in dimensional lumber sheathing than modern 7/16 OSB.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I really don't know why ANYONE who lives in OK or Kansas or the other areas where tornadoes are so common will just keep building houses above the surface. The storms knock em down and people build the same wood frame homes right back.

Yall need to be building homes that are bunkers that are tornado proof... [:/][:/]

That's really a funny misconception to me! I've lived 45 years in Kansas and have witnessed a few funnel clouds, but never one on the ground (has to touch down before it's a tornado). I'd guess though that if I lived out in the country where one's view is not obstructed by houses and trees I might have witnessed one first hand. The misconception comes from the fact that what you see on the news is the destruction, and your assumption that the whole state of Kansas looks similar. In reality, the destruction is very contained, and "big ones" which go through highly populated areas the destruction is quite isolated. In other words, there are plenty of 100 plus year old houses/buildings which have never been subject to tornado damage.

What I'm amazed by is the fact that people will build where the construction is virtually guaranteed to be destroyed on a 10 or 20 year cycle. Such as Mississippi flood plain, mud slide hills, subject to cyclical forest fires, fault lines, hurricane beach front property, below sea level, etc. Compared to that shit, tornadoes are a spectator sport!

All that said, you're hang'n your ass out if you're liv'n in a trailer house in tornado alley! Tornadoes seem to seek out trailer parks. In reality, an F2 would cut a path of destruction through a trailer park, where you'd see shingle damage in typical wood framed construction.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

AT least around here, in Western Washington.... where valley flooding is common... when the water recedes if you want money to fix the damage you ALSO have to lift the houses high enough so they do not flood again. Some of the resulting concrete "basements" end up being 20' high:D:D( it looks realllly stupid)
Building on a flood plain is majorly stupid but builders and developers seem to get away with it all the time. When I started looking for my home I made sure I was up in the foothills of the Cascades several hundred feet above the adjacent flood plain. ( The view is pretty good from up here)

I know they are isolated, I have lived in the midwest and have seen Xenia and other areas that were devastated. I still think that earth sheltering would be a viable option for many reasons, such as lessening the heating in winter and easier to cool in summer.. but primarily peace of mind when a super cell is coming your way in the night.

I think you are right about trailer parks.. it seems like all that aluminum attracts twisters:S:S

That sucks Cheach! Are you going for the Shelby with the insurance money?:) I wanna ride!:$

haha! I thought about it- for about 20 min....ended up buying a new 4 door jeep wrangler today instead. I gotta cut back on the speeding...
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

>What I'm amazed by is the fact that people will build where the construction
>is virtually guaranteed to be destroyed on a 10 or 20 year cycle.

Like tornadoes, all those other natural disasters (mud slides, floods, earthquakes, brush fires, hurricanes etc) generally do far less damage than people assume from watching the news. There are very few places in the US where destruction is "virtually guaranteed" - with the exception of places they are planning new freeways.

Like tornadoes, all those other natural disasters (mud slides, floods, earthquakes, brush fires, hurricanes etc) generally do far less damage than people assume from watching the news. There are very few places in the US where destruction is "virtually guaranteed" - with the exception of places they are planning new freeways.

yep, you pick your poison, and deal with it when it happens! I chose shakers, (and a one story house ene a slab) where the weather rocks year round...

but I have seen my fair share of twisters too....wayyy too many!

Ahh, I miss Oklahoma. Spring was always exciting ;-) Driving through softball sized hail, having funnel clouds form over your car, watching 100+ mph straight-line winds rip up all the trees in your front yard by their roots... fun childhood memories!! (for the budding meteorologist, anyway)

I do, however, think that after May 1999, 2003, and 2010, if I lived in the OKC/Moore area, I would be seriously considering re-locating. The god of severe wx statistics seems to really have it out for them...

Ahh, I miss Oklahoma. Spring was always exciting ;-) Driving through softball sized hail, having funnel clouds form over your car, watching 100+ mph straight-line winds rip up all the trees in your front yard by their roots... fun childhood memories!! (for the budding meteorologist, anyway)

I do, however, think that after May 1999, 2003, and 2010, if I lived in the OKC/Moore area, I would be seriously considering re-locating. The god of severe wx statistics seems to really have it out for them...

My siblings and I were kids when my dad was transferred to Enid, OK in 1960. I was the oldest at 10. One night my mother awakened all the kids and said we were going to sleep in the hall. We laid on the floor and she placed mattresses against the walls to pull down onto us if there was trouble. I got up and went into the living room to see what was going on and in the lightning flashes I saw a tornado that, I swear, looked like the one on The Wizard of OZ. Worse, I saw the guy across the street with a CD hat on directing people into shelters....and we didn't have one! I was one scared kid! They say that tornado hopped completely over the town and continued on doing no damage to Enid.

Sure, they play it up>:(
F3 160 mph winds went through my neighborhood on 4/24/10 and Ill be damned if i ever want to be that close again,although mild damage was done to my house, 3 houses up, it picked up 3000sq ft of home and pitched it 60 ft landing upside down.
But yea no real damage:|
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

My siblings and I were kids when my dad was transferred to Enid, OK in 1960. I was the oldest at 10. One night my mother awakened all the kids and said we were going to sleep in the hall. We laid on the floor and she placed mattresses against the walls to pull down onto us if there was trouble. I got up and went into the living room to see what was going on and in the lightning flashes I saw a tornado that, I swear, looked like the one on The Wizard of OZ. Worse, I saw the guy across the street with a CD hat on directing people into shelters....and we didn't have one! I was one scared kid! They say that tornado hopped completely over the town and continued on doing no damage to Enid.

I bet that lightning-lit tornado was an awesome (in the true sense of awe-and-fear-inspiring) sight!! That's not something you can ever forget.

My brother and I also spent many a night in the basement huddled under the solid wood, antique coffee table (I always thought the coffee table was overkill considering we were already about 6 feet below ground, but we learned pretty quickly that it's best not to argue with a flustered parent in the middle of a thunderstorm, even if your legs are cramping up).

I know it sounds a bit crazy to those who didn't grow up with it, but I really do miss Oklahoma's storms. You cannot help but feel awe and wonder in the swirling, streaking midst of something so incredibly powerful that develops from the potential of calm, blue morning skies. Nature at its most amazing.

And to those who say, "I'd never live somewhere like that" -- It's a lot like skydiving. You buy good insurance, educate yourself about the risks, develop detailed and practical emergency procedures, and, if the shit hits the fan, implement those EPs! In the meantime, enjoy the most vivid and powerful show on Earth!