shropshire

Over Qualified? ........ WTF!!

So you are telling Shroppy to put only "paragliding instructor" in his CV?;)

Yup! Should get him a job in no time! :D:D

But seriously.. This is a tough market.. It's more important than ever to tailor your CV to each application. It's a pain, but well worth the investment. Getting yourself an interview is key - from that point it's MUCH easier to convince the person(s) interviewing that you are worth hiring.

You can always ask right in the interview if they have any reservations about you, so you get a chance then and there to "defend" yourself. You simply can't rely on a recruitment consultant to go the extra mile for you. From their point of view if the company isn't interested in you they are wasting their time putting any extra effort into helping you. [:/]
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

So you are telling Shroppy to put only "paragliding instructor" in his CV?;)

Better than 'Cover Model' for 'Hookers & Blow' magazine! ;)

Oh ...... Best I take that off then..... damn

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Cheers sweetie. I do tailor my C.V (to some extent) and always write a role specific covering letter.

It's difficult to dumb down too much because I'm an old codger and have done a lot of stuff ... experienced[:/] and my job titles often tell a tale (Project Manager/Business Analyst).

The other problem is that there is no middle ground ... I want a good job - but there aren't many of them and lots of folks applying ..... so I just need a job, any job - but I'm over qualified/experienced ... etc.. etc.. Catch-22

Bugger:|

(.)Y(.)

They don't want to get you in the door, have you spend time learning their systems, maybe even potentially become a critical asset doing a job that no one else there can do. Then the economy gets better in a year, someone else offers you more than they do (i.e. what you're actually worth), they can't pay you that, and now you leave and get a better-paying job.

It's interesting that in the hypothetical scenario you describe, "they" don't expect to be able to pay any more money even in a stronger economy. One would have to be pretty desperate indeed to want to work for a company that is pessimistic about its own prospects even in a rising tide that is lifting most boats.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

The other problem is that there is no middle ground ... I want a good job - but there aren't many of them and lots of folks applying ..... so I just need a job, any job - but I'm over qualified/experienced ... etc.. etc.. Catch-22

No one who is hiring wants to think of the vacancy they need to fill as just "a job, any job". Although in general I'd vote against mentioning money too early in the game, if you are continually being rejected as "overqualified" maybe you need to get a clear number out on the table earlier rather than later.

Then you need to show them why you are passionate about their job--they job they are offering. You need to convince them that their job, even at low pay, is the most exciting thing you've ever done in your career. You need to stand out as the person who passionately wants this job as compared to the 500 other candidates who just want "a job, any job".
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Do you find yourself starting to feel a little desperate?? Because that often transpires in an interview and it's just deadly..

Try and go for jobs where you can add value and make sure you communicate *how* you can add value.. Any indication that you are not committed or dedicated is usually a turn-off - surprisingly, even in short-term temp roles!!

Bottom line is, if there is some kind of pattern you are seeing, try and pinpoint *what* is causing the reaction and work on that.. Otherwise, it's just simply a tough market, mate. Any advice - even good advice - won't change the fact that it's just tough.

I don't know if I can help, since it's clearly not my field, but if you want to PM me your CV I can look at it after my exam next week (27th). mmmkay?

Chin up.. Am sending you extra doses of good vibes.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I don't know if I can help, since it's clearly not my field, but if you want to PM me your CV I can look at it after my exam next week (27th). mmmkay?

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I don't know if anyoen has pointed it out yet, But, "Over quilified" is simply a sue proof defence, the real reaon could eb anything from thy didn't like you , Color, Too fat ,Religion, anything...but those can get you sued, "over quilified can not!

His wife had been talking to him about some resumes she had been looking over at her job, to fill a position.
(Not related to her husbands line of work).
She stated she was automatically throwing out any resumes from applicants whose applications showed they had previously made a higher salary than the position for which they were applying, because:
"They wouldn't be happy, and would not stay."

Would she also automatically throw out any resumes from applicants if all the lines are not filled in? It irritates me to know the application forms expect you to report previous salary, but if you don't fill it out you run the risk of somebody you will never meet throwing your application in the wastebasket before the interested parties ever get to see it.

I've been with the same company for 26 years so I haven"t been affected by this but I could be laid off tomorrow. Who knows?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.:)

Didn't realise my work experience would float anyone's boat.. You are truly one of a kind, Ryoder!! :D:D:P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Cheers Nat' - nope I'm not really doing desperate per se.

Anyway, I had a great meeting today and appear to have secured some Freelance work - details to be ironed out over next few days.

Thanks everyoneB|

(.)Y(.)

Cheers Nat' - nope I'm not really doing desperate per se.

Anyway, I had a great meeting today and appear to have secured some Freelance work - details to be ironed out over next few days.

Thanks everyoneB|

Congrats mate, hope it turns into something bigger for you:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

True story.

I was once a part of a hiring team at my company.
We had a very qualified guy apply and I voted to hire him. I was out-voted by the 3 women on the team who didn't want to hire him because, "he was wearing a toupee and it was on crooked".

I resigned the team. I should have contacted the guy and told him to hire a lawyer.
>:(

Moral to the story:
Make sure your toupee fits properly.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

"he was wearing a toupee and it was on crooked"

Absolutely true. Interviewing for a job is exacly like dating. People have 30 minutes to determine if you're worthy of a long-term commitment. In their rush to make a snap judgement, they overlook a lot of well-qualified people based on completely erroneous data, like "body language", clothing, speech impediments, etc, that have nothing to do with the job.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

>We had a very qualified guy apply and I voted to hire him. I was out-voted
>by the 3 women on the team who didn't want to hire him because, "he was
>wearing a toupee and it was on crooked".

If the guy was interviewing for a role as technician, I'd likely hire him. If he was interviewing for a role as spokesman, business lead or salesman, I wouldn't. If he cannot present himself professionally in an interview there's no way he'll be able to do it after he's hired.

>We had a very qualified guy apply and I voted to hire him. I was out-voted
>by the 3 women on the team who didn't want to hire him because, "he was
>wearing a toupee and it was on crooked".

If the guy was interviewing for a role as technician, I'd likely hire him. If he was interviewing for a role as spokesman, business lead or salesman, I wouldn't. If he cannot present himself professionally in an interview there's no way he'll be able to do it after he's hired.

It's a bit like swearing in an interview.. There is no doubt that in some businesses, people swear like marines (no offence to the service-men/women!!).. But in an interview it's absolutely unacceptable in 99% of cases.. Because the expectation is that in an interview you're meant to behave better than you normally would.. So even trivial things like a toupee being on crooked sends out the message that if you can't be bothered to make a good impression then, what are you going to be like when you "relax" into the role?!!

Not saying it's right, but it *does* give a bad impression.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss