billvon

Skydiving themed beers

>I don't see anything wrong with a light tasting session beer.

There's not! That's what great about brewing, there's something for everyone. Fizzy yellow beers, dense chocolaty stouts, chewy belgian dubbels, sour Berliner Weisses, boozy barrel-aged ales - most people are going to find something they like. (And it's a lot safer to drive after having a bottle of Fizzy Yellow Beer than after having a bottle of Angel's Share.)

Often people say things like "we don't serve those fizzy yellow beers here" or "that's not real beer, real beer is what I'm used to" or "if you can't handle this beer, it's because you're not worthy." That can be unfortunate because it leads people to (basically) get turned off to all beers because they get isolated from styles they might like. Rosa's a good example - she never liked beer until she tried a good Belgian.

I still think you should add a Wit to your lineup, and make it your lightest beer. All the extra spices and (sometimes) orange slice make it very flavorful, but still very very light in body. Have you had Mothership Wit by New Belgium brewery, and Hoggarden? They are both excellent!

>Have you had Mothership Wit by New Belgium brewery, and Hoggarden?

Hoegaarden Wit is great. Mothership is - eh to me. Another good one is Avery White Rascal.

Side note - just had a Scottish beer called Bashah, brewed by Brewdog and Stone. The style is American Strong Ale (9%) and it's a black Belgian double India pale ale. Very good, but could you get a more schizophrenic beer?

>Have you had Mothership Wit by New Belgium brewery, and Hoggarden?

Hoegaarden Wit is great. Mothership is - eh to me. Another good one is Avery White Rascal.

Side note - just had a Scottish beer called Bashah, brewed by Brewdog and Stone. The style is American Strong Ale (9%) and it's a black Belgian double India pale ale. Very good, but could you get a more schizophrenic beer?

Brewdog is damn fine beer. We're having a Brewfest here in Brattleboro http://www.brattleborobrewfest.com/ that Brewdog is coming to. I tried a few of their beers that were aged in whiskey barrels. http://www.brewdog.com/paradox.php
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

>How does that all go into 1 beer?

Belgian yeast, dark malt, heavy hopping and high original gravity could lead to all the above characteristics. But you're right; if it was going to a contest judged by the BJCP they'd call it one style, probably a Belgian dark strong ale. The only real departure from the category would be the hoppiness (probably 40-50 IBU's.)

>I would think the outcome would be a barleywine.

That's a pretty distinct style that I think of as sweet, heavy/chewy mouthfeel (lots of dextrins) and no notes of Belgian-style esters (banana etc.)

So, to awaken this thread I'll announce that not only is my new job the apprentice brewer for McNeill's Brewery in Brattleboro, VT but we have a beer called Blonde Bombshell. It's basically an evolution of this but made with pilsner malts.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Update -

Just participated in my first homebrewing competition with these beers. (I know, beer, but that sort of automatically comes with this particular first.) Results:

Diamond Dubbel - gold
Bigway Brown - silver
Swooper Stout - silver

Thanks to everyone who helped me with scrounging bottles for the bottling runs and testing the stuff. Also thanks to Amy who put up with me taking over the kitchen from 5 to 12 hours a batch.

Label for Skydiver Blonde, tested this weekend at Perris:

That's a very pretty young blonde woman. But with all the great (and great looking) women jumpers in CA, couldn't you find an experienced jumper w/blonde hair? Photo shop out some dorky guy's arm, and you could use this one (if she say's it's okay.)

Are there any legal issues resurrecting the old Lang Creek Brewery "Skydiver Blonde" name? BTW, Valinda has an embroidery file to make jacket backs of the old logo. PM me if you'd like one sewn out on a jacket, sweatshirt, etc. :)

Oh, and edited to add: Congrats on the competition. I enjoy brewing beer too, but I'm not quite in the same league as what you're doing. But it's all fun, isn't it?B|

>But with all the great (and great looking) women jumpers in CA,
>couldn't you find an experienced jumper w/blonde hair?

Sure, that was just the quickest picture I could find. Ideally I'd want one of an experienced jumper, but it would have to be a good picture and at about the same angle so I can more easily use a blue sky behind them.

Another issue is hair. I've tried to take pictures of several women with longer blonde hair and it looks, well, strange in freefall. One of the things I liked about the tandem pic is that her hair looks like hair.

Another issue is hair. I've tried to take pictures of several women with longer blonde hair and it looks, well, strange in freefall. One of the things I liked about the tandem pic is that her hair looks like hair.

Hmm....i wonder how it would look if the jumper was in a head down orientation? I sent you a PM of a badass freeflyer that is also a smokin hot blond. Since she also brews her own beer i think she wouldnt object. :)
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Update -

Just participated in my first homebrewing competition with these beers. (I know, beer, but that sort of automatically comes with this particular first.) Results:

Diamond Dubbel - gold
Bigway Brown - silver
Swooper Stout - silver

Thanks to everyone who helped me with scrounging bottles for the bottling runs and testing the stuff. Also thanks to Amy who put up with me taking over the kitchen from 5 to 12 hours a batch.

Can you bring some to Lost Prairie? Are you coming to Lost Prairie?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."