Thanatos340

interesting bit of info - thx!

The only complaints I had about the glasses/3d were:

1) My eyes got really dry. Not sure if it was lack of blinking :)2) There was glare on the glasses, but I stopped noticing that about 10 minutes into the movie.

Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

Real D?

I think that's the system we saw it on. Digital 3D in a regular cinema, right?

If you saw it at Atlantic Station in 3D it was RealD 3D.

I also saw it in Imax 3D upper at Mall of Georgia. (So bigger screen than some of the pseudo-IMAX's).

Concur with Paul, I thought the experience on the smaller RealD 3D screen was better -- more impacting -- than IMAX 3D. YMMV.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Dude everyone knows. Pretty much every review mentioned it being similar to Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves. There aren't a whole lot of movies out there anymore with unique story lines. I've watched my fair share of movies and TV and based on the genre of movie or show I can pretty much guess how the story is going to go.

Rainy Weekend here, Nothing else to to so I gave in and went to see the movie.

The Good:
It was better than I expected. I saw it in IMax 3d and the Visuals were great. The Story (While almost a word for word rip-off of Pocahontas) was interesting enough to keep me awake for the 160 plus minutes.
I also must say that this movie was one of the rare exceptions where the actual Movie was better than the Preview.

The Bad:
The Sound!! I absolutely hate it when either Theaters and/or directors decide that VOLUME is the way to accent scenes and build excitement. The sound was great for the most part in movie but about 4 or 5 times during the movie as a crescendo was Building, Someone decided that turning the Volume up to 11 was a great idea. I honestly wanted to just walk out so I could get away from the almost painful noise.

The Ugly:
The IMax 3d Glasses. VERY uncomfortable. One size fits None was the objective and the succeeded spectacularly. The hard plastic really bit into the bridge of your nose and pinched the side of your head.

If 3d is really going to start becoming a Standard, Hopefully we will someday have glasses that are not uncomfortable to wear.

Summary:
Well worth the $15 Ticket. Entertaining but a little preachy. Spectacular Visuals that really should be seen on the big screen and in 3D.

The Ugly:
The IMax 3d Glasses. VERY uncomfortable. One size fits None was the objective and the succeeded spectacularly. The hard plastic really bit into the bridge of your nose and pinched the side of your head.

If 3d is really going to start becoming a Standard, Hopefully we will someday have glasses that are not uncomfortable to wear.

Concur w/r/t the yellow IMAX 3D glasses. The RealD 3D glasses look/felt like regular (albeit cheap) sunglasses. Since they don't actually block UV rays, there's a disclaimer/warning to not wear them as sunglasses.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

to all negative critics:

Try see this movie as a necessary step toward improving us all, jumping in a fog, rain and other non-jumpable conditions.

It has a lot to do what we would like and it WILL help us realize our 'needs' for new thrills.

Remember, your kids might mock you for your "accurate landings" in the past, while they can swoop it on an inch with CONSIDERABLE speed.

"Avatar" the movie, is non-less but the fine step into future jumpers... which is promising
What goes around, comes later.

Did anybody keep the glasses or are you supposed to give them back?

The IMAX theater at which we saw it, Mall of Georgia, wanted them back.

There was a recycling bin for the RealD glasses where I saw it in RealD, Atlantic Station; but most folks (myself included) kept them.

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

The RealD glasses get recycled but just about everyone takes them home it seems.

Someone was asking about the effects and how they did it.

Here is a bit of the Behind the Scenes:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/customer-stories-video-film-and-audio/adobe-and-avatar/
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Did anybody keep the glasses or are you supposed to give them back?

The IMAX theater at which we saw it, Mall of Georgia, wanted them back.

IMAX glasses cost the theater around $7 a pop.

There was a recycling bin for the RealD glasses where I saw it in RealD, Atlantic Station; but most folks (myself included) kept them.

RealD glasses cost the theater about $1.50 a pop.

/Marg

I was so eager to fart outloud
so I followed the "exit" sign straightway after 'the end',
EVERYBODY followed me
just to discover that that's a fire exit

I was so blue

don't know what to do with a 3D goggles
What goes around, comes later.

I'd like to see it again at the IMAX in 3D, if it's still playing when I get home.

I'm recommending a RealD system rather than IMAX. Check your papers.

Hey Paul, do you know of anywhere in the L.A. area (or anywhere else in SoCal) that is still playing it with the RealD system? I'd like to go see it in 3D now that I have the time.

And yes, I'm doing the lazy thing of asking you before checking myself, but you seem to know these things.

I'd like to see it again at the IMAX in 3D, if it's still playing when I get home.

I'm recommending a RealD system rather than IMAX. Check your papers.

Hey Paul, do you know of anywhere in the L.A. area (or anywhere else in SoCal) that is still playing it with the RealD system? I'd like to go see it in 3D now that I have the time.
And yes, I'm doing the lazy thing of asking you before checking myself, but you seem to know these things.

You'll never know by checking most theater listings. I think that's stupid on the theaters' part, but there you have it. You'll know if you're at a RealD theater by looking at the glasses and seeing the brand marked on them and occasionally I've seen the brand on the marquee, but I don't think I've ever see it on a theater's web site.

The best way I know of for planning purposes though is to check the RealD theater locator.

http://www.reald.com/Content/Theatre-Locator.aspx
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It looks like Avatar is about 2 million dollars behind Titanic for highest grossing film of all time: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704375604575023242713519772.html?mod=WSJ_ArtsEnt_LifestyleArtEnt_4 That is not accounting for the higher premium for IMAX and 3D that the movie is getting per ticket but its still impressive
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It looks like Avatar is about 2 million dollars behind Titanic for highest grossing film of all time: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704375604575023242713519772.html?mod=WSJ_ArtsEnt_LifestyleArtEnt_4 That is not accounting for the higher premium for IMAX and 3D that the movie is getting per ticket but its still impressive

The domestic box office is always a goofy number because of inflation too, but it's one people can wrap their heads around.

The real key on Avatar (or any movie really) isn't box office but franchise generation; sequels, Happy Meals, T-shirts, video games, toys, theme park rides . . .

More people will probably have ultimately seen Titanic in its first run in a movie theater, but Titanic was a dead end. Avatar is going to be "alive" as an intellectual property for a very long time.
quade -

The best way I know of for planning purposes though is to check the RealD theater locator.

http://www.reald.com/Content/Theatre-Locator.aspx

Thanks, Paul.

Yeah, the Temecula theater just says "Avatar 3D," but the RealD site lists them as one of the theaters, so I'm assuming that it's playing in RealD. I might call before going.

Really enjoyed the special effects. And the way they repackaged what is, normally, the same old tired, preachy, story was really refreshing. Great effects, ok plot.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Great effects, ok plot.

One thing that surprised me was that the effects didn't get in the way of the characters. 90% of the time I was seeing the characters and not just a bunch of CG effects.

Another thing I thought was interesting. Sigourney Weaver often played herself as "real" (i.e. was filmed live) but during the scene where she is wounded and brought to the tree she is a CG character (as is everyone else in that scene.) And she looked remarkably like - herself. Which makes me wonder how much longer an actor's physical appearance will be a big factor in their success*. If you can easily alter someone's appearance (i.e. make them skinnier, fatter, younger, older etc) casting may become more of a search for someone who can act the part as opposed to looking the part.

(* - Steve Buschemi aside.)

Another thing I thought was interesting. Sigourney Weaver often played herself as "real" (i.e. was filmed live) but during the scene where she is wounded and brought to the tree she is a CG character (as is everyone else in that scene.) And she looked remarkably like - herself. Which makes me wonder how much longer an actor's physical appearance will be a big factor in their success*. If you can easily alter someone's appearance (i.e. make them skinnier, fatter, younger, older etc) casting may become more of a search for someone who can act the part as opposed to looking the part.

(* - Steve Buschemi aside.)

This is one of the things Cameron is hoping for. He has a really amazing attitude toward the entire process and a deep seated respect for the real life actor playing the CGI role. In an interview I heard recently he was talking about how important it was that the actor's maintain control over their performance. That he was against the idea of the technology being used to say, bring Marilyn Monroe back to life, but rather use it as an enabling technology for the actors so they could still play themselves, just at different stages in their lives or, as in this case, in avatar bodies.

Of course, as soon as the technology becomes mainstream, it absolutely will be used for evil. Much is the pity.
quade -