Thanatos340

Yeah, perhaps one of the pieces of dialog that drew me out of the film. I can't help but think he used the term for shits and giggles as a place holder and just left it in to be silly, but for me it screams comic book.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

At first I had reservations about seeing this movie. I did not like the online previews. The aliens did not look very “real” even on my 65 inch HD television.

I saw this movie last night in IMAX 3D. MY INITIAL FEARS WERE PUT TO REST. I think the most crucial thing people need to realize is that this movie must be seen in 3D, this is what gives the CGI its true depth. If you can’t find an IMAX theater near you, you should at least find a theater that is showing it in 3D. While I’m sure the 2D version probably looks decent, it won’t bring the CGI to life on the same level.

This movie is groundbreaking in the sense that I left the theater with the feeling that all movies should be produced in 3D. I never felt this way until now. I think Cameron has created the most tasteful balance of 3D rendering ever created for the big screen. It is not gimmicky. The dramatic blowout effects are used very sparingly at just the right times to give the sense that you can actually reach out and touch the characters.

The bar has been raised.

The theater I just left did not have 3d. I would like to see it, though.

My daughter and I are agreed that it might have been the best movie we have ever seen. It drew us in completely. The emotional ride was compelling. We identified with the characters. The plot had some unique points to it. It took us some time to adjust to reality afterwards because we were so deeply drawn into the fantasy world of Avatar.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

At first I had reservations about seeing this movie. I did not like the online previews. The aliens did not look very “real” even on my 65 inch HD television.

I saw this movie last night in IMAX 3D. MY INITIAL FEARS WERE PUT TO REST. I think the most crucial thing people need to realize is that this movie must be seen in 3D, this is what gives the CGI its true depth. If you can’t find an IMAX theater near you, you should at least find a theater that is showing it in 3D. While I’m sure the 2D version probably looks decent, it won’t bring the CGI to life on the same level.

This movie is groundbreaking in the sense that I left the theater with the feeling that all movies should be produced in 3D. I never felt this way until now. I think Cameron has created the most tasteful balance of 3D rendering ever created for the big screen. It is not gimmicky. The dramatic blowout effects are used very sparingly at just the right times to give the sense that you can actually reach out and touch the characters.

The bar has been raised.

Just came out of the movie in Digital 3D 45 minutes ago and agree completely with you. It was a visual feast for the senses...the plot, etc, etc....could have been better but I'd go and see it again in a heartbeat.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

They've had 3D computer setups for over a year now. Not sure if it has been compatible with movies up until recently, but certain games were developed to utilize the technology. Maybe that's what Thanatos was alluding to.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Did anyone else but me notice that the floating mountains seem to be taken directly from and old Yes album cover.

Or Nagrand.

Not that it matters. Most creative work is borrowing a little bit here from a little bit there.

Why don't we wait until the movie has been out for awhile before going into too many details though.
quade -

saw it in imax 3d

what a fantastic movie...absolutley amazing...the line between cgi and live footage is so blurred its hard to tell where either begins and ends...

just a terrific movie and i highly recommend seeing it
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

Yeah, perhaps one of the pieces of dialog that drew me out of the film. I can't help but think he used the term for shits and giggles as a place holder and just left it in to be silly, but for me it screams comic book.

Were any of the soldiers wearing Oakley watches?;)B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Did anyone else but me notice that the floating mountains seem to be taken directly from and old Yes album cover.

I thought the floaty islands were a rip-off of Firefly. Others have done them before, but that's the first I had seen them in science fiction.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I can't help but think he used the term for shits and giggles as a place holder and just left it in to be silly, but for me it screams comic book.

The word unobtanium has long been used in engineering to describe a theoretical material that does not exist. It helps engineers conceptualize problems, and focus on other aspects of the design, rather than worry about the limit of strengths of materials, or other properties that they want to neglect.

Unobtainium is a humorous name for any extremely rare, costly, or physically impossible material needed to fulfill a given design for a given application. The properties of any particular unobtainium depend on the intended use. For example, a pulley made of unobtainium might be massless and frictionless. However, if used in a nuclear rocket, unobtainium would be light, strong at high temperatures, and resistant to radiation damage.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

>I'm not referring to TV and movies. I'm referring to the 3D.

3D is just another technology that can be supported by the TV format. Such incremental improvements have been going on for years. Stereo (and later Dolby) sound is pretty mainstream now. Color is here to stay. Widescreen is taking over from 4:3, and HD is replacing SD. I don't think tubes are going to come back and replace LCD's and plasma panels.

Many new technologies have a vehicle that inspires people to upgrade or inspires companies to improve their technology. The Wizard of Oz was that vehicle for color; perhaps this movie will be the vehicle for 3D.

>The Wizard of Oz was that vehicle for color; perhaps this movie will be the vehicle for 3D.

I definitely think that this movie is a watershed event for 3D.

Just like when I did a jump on Bill Booth's tandem rig at the Canadian Nationals with another skydiver in 1984, I wrote in my logbook that this would be the way of the future, I feel the same way about this movie and the use of the technology.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

An amazing cinema experience!

Annie and I were skeptical but we really, really enjoyed the experience. Agreed that the script was cookie cutter, but it was well executed, acted, and the world in 3d made it all seem so alive.

We're going to watch it again. Not bad, considering we weren't even going to go and watch it a first time :)

Performance Designs Factory Team

I went to see it last night without having heard much of it or even knowing what it was about, and it wasn't in 3D at the theater that we went to. I thought it was a great movie. Very entertaining to watch, and an interesting story.

I'd like to see it again at the IMAX in 3D, if it's still playing when I get home.

I think you really have to see it in 3D to make the experience complete.

The world really comes alive around you - and not in a cheesy way.

:)

My question to those who've seen it on the IMAX AND the small screen - is the IMAX worth it? I thought it was great on the regular screen, and find that the IMAX experience is a little overwhelming (generally) - is the case here?

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Real D?

I think that's the system we saw it on. Digital 3D in a regular cinema, right?

Digital 3D with circular polarizing lenses rather than linear (one horizontal/one vertical). The circular polarizing lenses means your head doesn't have to be locked into alignment with the screen and as a result it's more comfortable and the images are crisper.

The glasses and theater should be branded with the "RealD" trademark.
quade -