Nataly

Do cheaters get farther in life?

Well the FOR sure include Bill Billachick and the New England Patriots into this discussion as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnqQhUdXgvI

----------------------------------------------------------------
I misinterpreted the rules...:P

And then there's the Floyd Landis and Tour De France debacle. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm an honest person. I'm not even sure if it's because I'm principled, or because I'm too afraid of getting caught!! Probably a mixture of both..

But then I often wonder.. Can you get to a *really* high position in life without cheating??

Do people who are good at cheating get farther in life?

it all depends what life is more important to you. Me? This stuff is all great and all...but my treasure and my success hasnt happened and wont happen here.

joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

It depends on what your core values are...

If you are okay with cheating because you value the tangible things rewarded more that your personal ethics you 'get farther'.

If to YOU, getting father means the satisfaction of not compromising your beliefs...the obviously don't cheat. ;)

Ohhh.. That's deep.. :)

And 100% true.
__

My mighty steed

It is intereasting that you used "get farther in life" in your question. Do they amass more wealth? Do they have more stuff? Yes.

But are they father in LIFE? How rewarding was it for them to cheat to get the reward? How are they regarded by their peers that know they cheat? Are they sucessful/farther at life or sucessfull/farther at cheating?

Is being shallow and dishonest getting a person farther in life?

And then there's the Floyd Landis and Tour De France debacle. :S

Is it "cheating" when every professional rider is doing it?

I am dead serious.
Ever talked to an ex-professional rider?
(It may take a few drinks before he opens up).
And don't believe the crap the team mgt spouts when a rider gets busted and the team mgt announces he has been immediately fired.
The decision to dope comes from the mgt, not the rider.

So the playing field *is* level, since all the riders have the same advantage.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I brought up the relationship side of it because of Tiger and Jessy James being in the news so much lately, both hard working over achievers, Both wanted more...even if they had to cheat to get it!

Listen.. Just because I don't think it always applies, doesn't mean I think your theory is bad.. In fact, I find it interesting - and I think it makes sense.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

~not really...Lance leans a bit to one side on HIS seat. :P

There is a solution for that: http://www.medgadget.com/archives/img/prosthetic-testes.jpg

:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Charlie Francis who was Ben Johnson's [disgraced 100m gold medalist in 1988 games] coach defended the decision to encourage athletes to dope by saying, "It is a level playing field, it's just not the field you thought it was"

BTW, Charlie Francis just died last week. Unrepentant to the end.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

~not really...Lance leans a bit to one side on HIS seat. :P

There is a solution for that: http://www.medgadget.com/archives/img/prosthetic-testes.jpg

:P

Fake Balls...what a perfect avatar pic! ;)

YO DIVOT! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't care for people that don't care for others.

Some may consider they are better than the rest of us ... but fuck 'em. Life's too short to worry about them.

I generally do everything to the best of my ability and within my personal sense of right and wrong. Other folks boundaries will be different.

And who's to say what is cheating ... it's kind of subjective.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I laugh to myself whenever someone mentions "karma". I do not believe in it.

Cheaters often do not get "what is coming to them" and do-gooders often do not get rewarded.

I have a love-hate relationship with my conscience--I am happy I have a strong one, but it sucks sometimes to see peers get away with all kinds of shit and my performance be compared to theirs. I still do the right thing and not because I am afraid of "being caught" if I did otherwise. I just care--and have respect for myself and others--as much as that pisses me off sometimes.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Good post. Fortunately, most do-gooders also have internal motivations for doing what they do, and they don't depend on the validation of others.

Often cheaters seem to get hungrier and hungrier, and eventually it comes out. But not always.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In Sports,

Sometimes "cheating" is an Opinion too!

I rememeber people bithcing when they found out a couple 4 way teams were using wieghts, and cried cheaters, The next year, everyone wore weights..

( I think swoopers went threw the same thing)

All a matter of perspective!

Fortunately, most do-gooders also have internal motivations for doing what they do, and they don't depend on the validation of others.

My motivations are sleeping well at night and/or feeling good about myself--no less selfish than the cheater, but validated by society as being the better way to go.

To your point, I do not depend on such validation and my motivations are most definitely internal--wherever that comes from.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.