Nataly

Do cheaters get farther in life?

I'm an honest person. I'm not even sure if it's because I'm principled, or because I'm too afraid of getting caught!! Probably a mixture of both..

But then I often wonder.. Can you get to a *really* high position in life without cheating??

Do people who are good at cheating get farther in life?
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

It depends on what your core values are...

If you are okay with cheating because you value the tangible things rewarded more that your personal ethics you 'get farther'.

If to YOU, getting father means the satisfaction of not compromising yourself...then obviously don't cheat.

That goes for everything in life...including push-up bras! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nepotism. I've seen people get far places because of their daddy's. It's unfair. I always believed you can get far just by hard work. Now, I realize, that hard workers continue to work hard for their money, and work hard until they die.

It depends on what your core values are...

If you are okay with cheating because you value the tangible things rewarded more that your personal ethics you 'get farther'.

If to YOU, getting father means the satisfaction of not compromising your beliefs...the obviously don't cheat. ;)

Ohhh.. That's deep.. :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nepotism. I've seen people get far places because of their daddy's. It's unfair.

Yeah, there's a skyride jumper who got the FBO job in a certain TN town because his cousin is on the county commission. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm an honest person. I'm not even sure if it's because I'm principled, or because I'm too afraid of getting caught!! Probably a mixture of both..

But then I often wonder.. Can you get to a *really* high position in life without cheating??

Do people who are good at cheating get farther in life?

I don't know Nat. I think they might get further faster in life, but I feel it will catch up with them. I don't think they ever "win".
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

I don't know Nat. I think they might get further faster in life, but I feel it will catch up with them. I don't think they ever "win".

Hmm.. Interesting.. Well, I would certainly like to think that they are punished for their sins!! Perhaps from the outside we don't see all the sacrifices they make to get to where they are..

Still.. Not sure I can muster up a whole lot of sympathy for those "poor rich/successful people"!! :D:D:S
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nepotism. I've seen people get far places because of their daddy's. It's unfair.

Yeah, there's a skyride jumper who got the FBO job in a certain TN town because his cousin is on the county commission. :|

Sometimes, especially with a tough economy the only way to find a job is through a family member or friend.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Hmm.. Interesting.. Well, I would certainly like to think that they are punished for their sins!! Perhaps from the outside we don't see all the sacrifices they make to get to where they are..

They've already made the ultimate sacrifice, their integrity. That's the one thing that money or power can't buy back or replace.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Sometimes, especially with a tough economy the only way to find a job is through a family member or friend.

Generally speaking, sure, but not in this case.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Nobody has ever gone their entire lives without deceiving somebody.

The better people are at it, the more likely they are they'll use it to their advantage. Some become actors and professional poker players, others become salesmen and agents, while still others become crooks.

And no, they don't always get their comeuppance either.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's the way it is.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well I think there is a few things where lying and cheating won't get you anywhere.

Skydiving being one of them. Experienced skydivers, don't say 'I did this'... they DO IT. They let their actions speak the truth and in my opinion, if someone can only excel their life by cheating and deceiving it will catch up to them ten fold and it's simply not worth it.

There are plenty of skydivers who bump up their jump numbers in conversation.

No, I'm not among them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well I think there is a few things where lying and cheating won't get you anywhere.

Skydiving being one of them. Experienced skydivers, don't say 'I did this'... they DO IT. They let their actions speak the truth and in my opinion, if someone can only excel their life by cheating and deceiving it will catch up to them ten fold and it's simply not worth it.

There are a lot of padded logbooks and people with ratings and licenses they didn't earn. [:/]
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

There are more than a few professional skydivers that have made lots of money not doing what they've said they intend to do.
quade -

While I agree that there are folks that pad their log books, someone like Wendy could easily tell the difference by jumping with them. I know I don't either, but seriously whats the point of lying to yourself?

I don't know about that.. Some people genuinely have the numbers but they don't have the skills!! :D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

There are more than a few professional skydivers that have made lots of money not doing what they've said they intend to do.

...as in all walks of life. :|

Well, he had specifically mentioned skydiving.
quade -

And some people really are better than their number of actual jumps would imply. All it really means is that your first jump with someone is something of a crapshoot.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well I can be pretty sure when you get back from Kerrville and jump with me, you'll be rollin' snake eyes!:D

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Besides I can see where there can be all kinds of grey area when dealing with lying and such, but on the whole is someone who has say...75 jumps and they say they have 750...you experienced guys will call bullshit right off the exit.

I think the personality of many people that Over Achieve , leads also to the personality of never being happy with what they have, always wanting "more"...........which leads to cheating, Even when it comes to relationships!

Wow.. That is a really interesting thought..

I used to be an over-achiever - I used to set my sights on something, work hard, and get it.. Still have the personality, the drive and the work ethic, but I've also had a lot of failures over the last few years.. I guess to me, it isn't meaningful if I haven't earned it. Ok - sometimes I am simply lucky.. But I mean I wouldn't feel proud of myself if I cheated to get something..

Case in point.. Tomorrow I'm re-taking an accountancy exam for the 4th time. It's frustrating, it's embarrassing, it discredits me at work, and I think I'm likely to fail it again.. But I'm not going to cheat on it. It's just not how I want to succeed in life. I reckon it probably means I could still be successful, but not *uber* successful (unless I get lucky!).

Edit to say: I *do* think you're spot on about never being happy and always wanting more.. Just don't think that necessarily leads to cheating.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss