ridestrong

The Blind Side

Well, it was based on a true story. And apparently the family it was based on is a devout Christian family. So even if they did mention religion in the film (I can't recall if they did), it wasn't necessarily to promote Christianity; it may have just been part of the story.

I didnt see any mention of religion in this film :S. I think its crappy to try and promote Christianity with a movie anyway... it sort of suggests that the only type of people willing to do nice things as seen in the film would be "religious" people, when the truth is probably something more along the lines of "nice wealthy people". Im 100% atheist and cant bring myself to believe in fairy tales for adults, but I could quite easily do nice things for people in need if I was minted. Dont need to be a bible basher to be a nice person! Great film anyway, glad I didnt watch it at work or they probably wouldve sent me to see the psychiatrist.

Then you simply didn't pay attention to the words being said or the code words (subtext) that Evangelical Christians use, you simply aren't tuned into. Just off the top of my head, Mrs. Touhy says she's a Christian woman and taking care of Oher is the Christian thing to do (or words to that effect). They also say table grace, which is pretty uncommon for most folks these days on any day that isn't a religious holiday.

Disney isn't trying to "convert" anyone. They are making films that Christians will be able to more closely identify with and take their kids to that demonstrate their same "morals." If you click on the link Shotgun provided to the Christian movie review web site, you'll see the kinds of things that turn that market off and on.

Like I said, it's subtle.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

They also say table grace, which is pretty uncommon for most folks these days on any day that isn't a religious holiday.

~~Dunno if that's universally true.

We have MANY friends here in the south, that do it everyday at every meal...I'm not a religious person by any means and it always strikes me as a weird custom.

I feel like I should be wearin' a pilgrim hat or using a ouija board when holding hands with people who are talkin' to someone I don't see. :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We have MANY friends here in the south, that do it everyday at every meal...I'm not a religious person by any means and it always strikes me as a weird custom.

Right and I bet most of the folks that do it would identify themselves as being Evangelical Christians, which is why it would end up in the movie.
quade -

Right and I bet most of the folks that do it would identify themselves as being Evangelical Christians, which is why it would end up in the movie.

Ya got me what they are...however it does seemed to be weighted on the more affluent side of the social class structure, at least from what I've seen down here, around us.

BTW...I always thought Hollyweird was power-brokered by an underground tribe of liberal Jews? :ph34r:;)

They also say table grace, which is pretty uncommon for most folks these days on any day that isn't a religious holiday.

Well, it was Thanksgiving when they said grace. I think for even more "non-practicing" Christians it is more common to say grace on major holidays and when the family is together even though they likely don't say grace on an average day.

As far as mentioning Christianity, I do remember the one point already mentioned where someone referred to Bullocks character as a 'good Christian woman'.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

BTW...I always thought Hollyweird was power-brokered by an underground tribe of liberal Jews? :ph34r:;)

Practically everything most people think they know about Hollywood is wrong . . . including the city most of "Hollywood" works in. ;)
quade -

Yeah, some of my more religious family members boycotted Disney during that time. [:/]

I went and read some more about The Blind Side. Apparently Sandra Bullock turned the script down several times because she was uncomfortable playing a Christian woman. I don't recall their religion even being mentioned in the film, but perhaps it was. If it wasn't mentioned over and over (making a strong point about it), I probably wouldn't have noticed since that is fairly "normal" to me.

This was an interesting Christian review of the movie:
http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/movies/2009/blindside2009.html
I guess I saw all the same things in the movie that the author did - a theme of "thanksgiving" and "doing the right thing." I just don't equate those things with religion, so I wouldn't have taken them as religious overtones, even if they were meant to be.

It was there just fairly subtle.

The kids went to a private christian school

They all held hands and prayed on Thanksgiving after Michael sits at the table while the rest of the family sits on the couch watching football.

She mentions the DA or Mayor... I forget.. is part of her prayer group when she is warning the crackhead gangbangers not to mess with Michael.

Its a part of many peoples lives in this country, To remove it from film is just as bad as removing human sexuality if Hollywood is striving for any reality at all in the telling of our human lives.

I didnt see any mention of religion in this film :S.

Then you simply didn't pay attention to the words being said or the code words (subtext) that Evangelical Christians use, you simply aren't tuned into. Just off the top of my head, Mrs. Touhy says she's a Christian woman and taking care of Oher is the Christian thing to do (or words to that effect). They also say table grace, which is pretty uncommon for most folks these days on any day that isn't a religious holiday.

Disney isn't trying to "convert" anyone. They are making films that Christians will be able to more closely identify with and take their kids to that demonstrate their same "morals." If you click on the link Shotgun provided to the Christian movie review web site, you'll see the kinds of things that turn that market off and on.

Like I said, it's subtle.

I should mention that I have a memory like a goldfish and you just jogged it mentioning all of those things.

I have seen Michael Oher's play on the gridiron, and he is a damned good football player who has his shit straight despite his hard knocks growing up. Kudos to the family for seeing the potential in him and making sure he stayed straight and achieved his goals.

The funny thing is, when Nick Saban decided to have his Alabama football team watch the movie, his players teased him and laughed at his performance in the movie where he played himself, as did a few other football coaches. Nick, stick to what you do best, coaching football! :D:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have no desire to watch the movie, the whole 'white savior' thing gets old, but I did enjoy the book. The book is much more football oriented (about 1/2 of it is on Oher specifically). Although in the book, the mom just grated on my nerves. The superficiality of the family is incredible, they bought Oher's way into college, etc.

Yes they did ...but unlike how MANY wealthy people do for their chldren, it didn't cost an endowment....just a full time tutor.

If this were a fictional 'feel-good' story it would have come off campy and tanked at the box office...but as my old FJI use to say~ It ain't bragging if ya really did it! B|

I don't know what was in the movie, I read the book... and it was a LOT more than a full time tutor. They bought him high school credits, they bought him grades, they bought him the tutor, there was a lot of manipulation that went on in this regard.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I have no desire to watch the movie, the whole 'white savior' thing gets old, but I did enjoy the book. The book is much more football oriented (about 1/2 of it is on Oher specifically). Although in the book, the mom just grated on my nerves. The superficiality of the family is incredible, they bought Oher's way into college, etc.

Yes they did ...but unlike how MANY wealthy people do for their children, it didn't cost an endowment....just a full time tutor.

If this were a fictional 'feel-good' story it would have come off campy and tanked at the box office...but as my old FJI use to say~ It ain't bragging if ya really did it! B|

I don't know what was in the movie, I read the book... and it was a LOT more than a full time tutor. They bought him high school credits, they bought him grades, they bought him the tutor, there was a lot of manipulation that went on in this regard.

Whatever they did, must have worked... 'cause now HE'S happy, productive & rich too! :)
Just shows to go ya...pour in enough time, love, & money and ya can take someone with no real opportunity to do so ~ and help 'em realize their potential... even if there are some who think it's not fair or the odds are against it.
~WHAT A COUNTRY!! B|

Whatever they did, must have worked... 'cause now HE'S happy, productive & rich too! :)
Just shows to go ya...pour in enough time, love, & money and ya can take someone with no real opportunity to do so ~ realize their potential, even if there are some think it's not fair or the odds are against it...WHAT A COUNTRY!! B|

+1
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I watched the movie and I thought it was representative of fanatical sports supporters.

I saw an interview with MO. He stated that an inaccuracy of the movie was him being "taught" to play football.
He said that he was well acquainted with the game before he met the family.

A lot of what went on was ultimately productive and helpful to MO, but, I thought, primarily driven by the goal of helping a football program.

In Florida, helpful alumni sponsors have given athletes cars to drive and jobs to provide the students with incomes. (Both being NCAA recruiting violations).

In one case, a player was being paid a monthly income for mowing the lawn of an alumni sponsor.
It turned out that he did not know where the person lived, despite the salary.

The events gave MO a productive life, and that is great.

~~Dunno if that's universally true.

I feel like I should be wearin' a pilgrim hat or using a ouija board when holding hands with people who are talkin' to someone I don't see. :$

Interesting. I'm from the South. It's normal even when you are eating out. It's normal in the mess hall. It's a programmed part of every official dinner in the military. My kids would act like something was being done wrong if we didn't; and they are teens now.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.