rjoseph14k

Diablo 150 in Mirage M4

Can anyone tell me how a Diablo 150 would pack in a Mirage M4 container? I see one in the classifieds and after looking on the Mirage web site they dont have it listed on the container sizing chart. Also how big of a jump would it be to go from a Sabre 2 170 to the 150. My exit weight would be about 190.

Cheers Y'all

Very different canopies in addition to being different sized.

Sabre2 = tapered 9 cell
Diablo = fully eliptical (trapezoidal?) 7 cell

Never mind the shape of it... The Diablo is a pretty ground hungry canopy that turns really fast... I have one for a few hundred jumps, and it wouldnt be my base recommendation to someone not specifically looking for that.
Remster

Ditto. I thought the Samurai was the fastest turning canopy I'd tried until I took a Diablo for a spin. Definitely not a novice canopy by any means and the flare could have been a bit better as well. Very touchy canopy.

As for the fit, I have an M4 and mine holds a 170 pretty loosely. I'd be nervous putting a 150 in it, especially one that packs as small as a Diablo does.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

As for the fit, I have an M4 and mine holds a 170 pretty loosely. I'd be nervous putting a 150 in it, especially one that packs as small as a Diablo does.

That's interesting. I thought Mirages packed pretty tight. Is yours a G3 or G4 and what year?

Phil

That's interesting. I thought Mirages packed pretty tight. Is yours a G3 or G4 and what year?

Mine is a G3, made in August of 01'. I specified that it hold a 170 semi-tight as I'd planned on downsizing my 190 soon afterwards.

I can easily get my Stiletto 190 into it but I've kept hanging onto it because I keep learning something new under it every time I fly it.

I've jumped a HiPer Nitro 150 in it and the only thing keeping tension on the closing loop was the fact that I shortened the loop enough that it barely cleared the grommets, even with nothing in the pack tray.[:/]
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I can not give you gear advice at all, but that sounds like a scary canopy for even me.

To answer your question, I would imagine it'd fit very if not too losely - though the mirage website could answer more definitavly.
I have a spectre 150 in my G4 M1, it's really tight, but it fits. I'd tink a M2 or M3 would be better.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I have over 500 jumps on a Diablo loaded at 1.32. We have learned to get along very, very well together but it took a while. She still teaches me some thing about herself on every jump. The Diablo is very twitchy and is readily subject to line twists if packing care is not constantly used and if care is not taken to open flat and stable. She is ground hungry but long spots are no problem if an inch or two of rear risers are taken in. I would strongly recommend that you not get that size Diablo with your low jump numbers.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Needless to say the Diablo might not be the canopy for me. If I see a smaller canopy(nothing below a 150) and at a good price Id like to buy it so when I feel that Im ready for something smaller and with the advice of the freedom of flight crew when Im at Deland Ill give it a try only when the weather is perfect and in the middle of summer when there arent a thousand other parachutes in the air.

Anyway what is the logical choice to down size to after a Sabre 2 170?