Staso

Mt Everest, North Col (post-skydiving)

Almost a year ago I wrapped up my skydiving career on jump 1001 and started getting ready
for the next adventure in my life – climbing North Col of Mt. Everest. North Col is a saddle
between mount Everest and mount Changtse with the elevation of 23100 ft (it’s slightly lower
but there is a permanent slab of ice on top of it and some camps are higher than the
lowest point).

After 10 month of extensive training, running, swimming, weight lifting and climbing in
New England I was finally ready a went on with my expedition. Now after 1 month of sheer
misery (I think that’s the best word that describes being above 18000 ft for me :) ) and
17 pounds lighter I’m back and can say that I’ve done it and that I don’t want to do it
again :) Getting to 23k altitude without a plane is a very tough job and staying
there is for a while is a pretty dismal experience.

Here are some pics for you folks to enjoy. The rest of them could be found here:

picasaweb.google.com/stan.snigir

There are 17 albums going from 00 – Kathmandu, Nepal to 17 – North Col, Everest.
If someone wants to do something like that I can recommend the company I went with.

I think my next thing is camping :)

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Almost a year ago I wrapped up my skydiving career on jump 1001 and started getting ready
for the next adventure in my life – climbing North Col of Mt. Everest. North Col is a saddle
between mount Everest and mount Changtse with the elevation of 23100 ft (it’s slightly lower
but there is a permanent slab of ice on top of it and some camps are higher than the
lowest point).

After 10 month of extensive training, running, swimming, weight lifting and climbing in
New England I was finally ready a went on with my expedition. Now after 1 month of sheer
misery (I think that’s the best word that describes being above 18000 ft for me :) ) and
17 pounds lighter I’m back and can say that I’ve done it and that I don’t want to do it
again :) Getting to 23k altitude without a plane is a very tough job and staying
there is for a while is a pretty dismal experience.

Here are some pics for you folks to enjoy. The rest of them could be found here:

picasaweb.google.com/stan.snigir

There are 17 albums going from 00 – Kathmandu, Nepal to 17 – North Col, Everest.
If someone wants to do something like that I can recommend the company I went with.

I think my next thing is camping :)

Way to go Stan...:)
Its good to do the things like that while you are young enough to accomplish that kind of very physical activity... because later in life... you may not be able to ever do them again.

Then you will have to resort to coming back to speedskydiving when you get old and fat like me;)

staying there is for a while is a pretty dismal experience.

Yeah - you look so glum in those pics. ;):D

Great photos - congrats on the accomplishment.

ETA : "/"
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Very Cool!

No sign of Mallory or Irvine, then?

Just memorial at the base camp. also i saw a memorial for David Sharp - he was the guy on Discovery "Everest Beyond the limit" show who was found at around 8400 and who many expedition passed by. Seeing that made it very real ..

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Very cool. How long did you stay at 23K? All your pics look like you're happy and trying to catch your breath.:D Your description of it has cemented my desire to not ever do that.:D

i spent a night there. we got to the Col at around 5 pm and then spent 5 or 6 hours melting snow and ice. I managed to get some sleep there but it was weird and disturbing sleep - hypoxia plays some tricks on your brain. I couldn't wait next morning to bolt out of there! :)

--
Speed Skydiving Forum