ntrprnr

Cool Underwater BASE

BUT, notice while posing at the bottom, he no longer has the weight belt on , yet it is back when he starts the climb up!

Good observation!

The article indicated it was filmed "on breath", not a single breath. It was obviously several different dives.

Still pretty damn impressive.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Its a cool video, but dont believe everything you read along with it,

The text implies that this guy dived all the way to the bottom, struck a pose,
and then climbed out. The bottom is 663 ft.

There is no way anyone made it to the bottom with just weights and nothing else.

Look up the records.
__

My mighty steed

There is no way anyone made it to the bottom with just weights and nothing else.

Look up the records.

Well since his own record is somehitng like 109 M... I would bet that was not the bottom of the Blue Hole. Light tends togit pretty sceerce when you start getting down a couple hundred feet in sea water

Look up the records.

Well since his own record is somehitng like 109 M... I would bet that was not the bottom of the Blue Hole. Light tends togit pretty sceerce when you start getting down a couple hundred feet in sea water

(UPDATE Nery emailed us to say he never reached the bottom; the distance is so far as to make it impossible. Nery says, "This movie is an artistic project, a fiction." He shot it with his girlfriend over the course of four afternoons.)

Look up the records.

(UPDATE Nery emailed us to say he never reached the bottom; the distance is so far as to make it impossible. Nery says, "This movie is an artistic project, a fiction." He shot it with his girlfriend over the course of four afternoons.)

What?
sAY IT ISN;T SO!

LOL , I am a camera man, they had 7 (minimum) different angles! Hard for one camera peson to pull off that trick!B|

It was still a very well done art project, and is well worth the watch !

Cool vid. If you haven't seen this one, check it out, it is the real deal, and for me, the kind of stuff nightmares are made of haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXQbucZUDA

Which brings up soemthing I wondered about in the Op clip...is wearing wieghts considered "freeediving"?
Or is it only limited to no fins, no air?

there's a couple of catagories in Free diving some with fins some not
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Makes sense...

What abotu rope, no Rope?

like said above, weights and fins depend on what "style", is used. and a rope is used to ensure a totally vertical decent so they dont waste air drifting, and to accurately measure the depth the diver gets to.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Done a bunch of scuba diving in Grand Cayman. THe north wall is something like that. 80-100' deep. you drop onto the flat. Coral ridge up and over a bit and then a vertical drop some 6000' pretty much straight down. It is the coolest thing to go over the edge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfnSyvmIhhY on a bad day the visibility is 60', on a good day, the vis is over 100'. Saw hammerhead shark out there, lots of morays

not my video but I have swam through that channel and out over the edge. 1:45 or so in the video, you come to the edge. The video does not do it justice - it is like stepping off into the abyss (well it IS actually stepping off into the abyss)

THe north wall is something like that. 80-100' deep. you drop onto the flat. Coral ridge up and over a bit and then a vertical drop some 6000' pretty much straight down. It is the coolest thing to go over the edge.

I've been over the Cayman Trench - I jokingly threatened to drop my girlfriend's compass down there. It would go a long, long way before it touched anything. :)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

is wearing wieghts considered "freeediving"?

In some classes, divers can even ride down on weighted sleds, and ascend with air-filled balloons.

That makes my ears hurt just to think of it!:S

One hand on weight, one pinching your nose to equalise?

one pinching your nose to equalise?

With a lot of practice, your eustachian tubes get used to pressurizing without assistance. Most freedivers have eustachian tubes you can drive a truck through, so they don't need to perform the "valsalva maneuver" (pinching your nose and blowing) - their ears adjust to the pressure changes without much work.

They may be more susceptible to "reverse block", which can happen on the ascent. That's a real bitch, because it's much harder to correct without going back down to depth. Sometimes it happens to scuba instructors that go up and down a lot chasing students.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD