skymama

Were you in a Fraternity or Sorority?

Surprise surprise, I was a frat guy, lived in the house for a year, was an officer (and a gentleman?).

Yeah, there is a fair amount of drinking going on, but I saw more GDI's (God Damned Independents :P) going to the hospital than frat guys. In my experience, MOST of us took our studies very seriously, with several members being on various scholarships as well as magna and suma cum laude grads. We had study hall during pledging as the university required a minimum GPA for A. the pledges as individuals and pledge class as an average to remain part of the organization, and B. the fraternity + its members to keep its charter.

I wouldn't have met the dude that got me into skydiving if i hadn't joined (now you REALLY won't want him joining). Which would also mean I wouldn't have the job I do today in software.

I still keep in close touch with my entire pledge class, and many members of the fraternity across 7 years of classes. We had some of the best times together, helped me grow up a little. Almost everyone in my pledge class has been successful in the 4 years since we've graduated- private equity, real estate, banking, law school, med school, B-school, and hospitality.

Ultimately it made my college experience MUCH better, got some leadership skillz in as an officer, and I have a terrific network around the entire country.

Frats have a bad rep from everyone on the outside that was never in one... hmm, weird. The truth is you make great friends, engage in some sophomoric behavior and bond over it, and develop lasting relationships which results in having an excellent network esp. immediately after graduation. Sound like skydiving much? One of my best skydiving buddies was the pres of his frat @ another school (currently doing very well at a reputable consulting firm), we have discussed the parallels of the skydiving community and DZs to frats on many occasions. I still maintain skydiving is a fraternity for people of all ages/races/sexes etc. you gotta learn and go through some shit before youre a regular and make those friendships.

Seacrest out

-Brett

edit: Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma chapter.

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

in my experience they are state-sponsored gangs, hate-encouraging substance abuse clubs that trick themselves into thinking they are "helping".

Brothers for life, sure, but I prefer brothers I do not have to pay for. And my brothers do not encourage gang rape or date rape on a weekly basis.

Vandalized a lot of Frat houses, that's for sure.

Worked in a sorority house kitchen for a while. Those were good days. Girl-only house parties were catered by me. we win. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

One crime for another? Makes TOTAL sense...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

So, how did you all decide which Fraternity to choose, or was it just a matter of them choosing you? Aren't all of them only going to tell you the good things at rush, like being on a first date?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Fortunately at my university we had a deferred rush, so pledging didn't start until second semester which left me a full semester to really get to know which fraternity i seemed to fit with best. Now, keep in mind my #1 priority(ies) X number of years ago when I was 18 was who threw the best party(ies), and who had the hottest girls attending said party(ies). go figure, the frat that did so also was the most diverse frat on campus (which I liked), was battling for the highest GPAs amongst the greek system, and had what i believe to be the cooler guys. Basically they worked hard and partied harder and didn't judge which is what I felt, and still feel, I represent... or try to. They also had one of the longest and most, um, arduous pledging periods (our pledging period was "dry," though the house was not) which we still wear with a badge of honor. Fortunately, as I mentioned, I had a full semester to hang out with all the frats and figure all that out for myself.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Coming from an SEC school the greek life is definitely a staple around here. I'm not in a frat, too many other things going on and I grew up in the city I go to college in so I know a lot of people around.

I do however work at a bar that largely caters to the greek crowd and see both the greeks and gdis while they're out. As far as personality and character goes you can't really group all of the greeks together, I do regularly see the guys who are "frat-tastic" and believe that they rule the world and everyone in it because of their association with their frat. Around here there's like a uniform to go out in if you're in a frat and one outfit that the guys wear likely costs $450+, and they all have them....lots of them. Also, I've heard of dues each semester topping 2 grand. Just not my scene, I'm happy in some shorts a t-shirt and flip flops and spending my parents money on things like food and rent (if necessary) and way under the 2k a semester mark no matter what the situation.

I guess it depends on the greek lifestyle at the certain school, but more importantly the kid deciding. I am without a doubt not the person the frat guys would usually hang out with but countless times I've had a friend who would bring me to a party and by the end of the night they realize that even though I might be a GDI I'm a good dude, I think they like a little variety and I do my best to open some of their eyes to things other than polo, costa del mar, titleist, and guy harvey. It's all about the image to a lot of them, if FSU is anything like this just make sure he stays himself if he does rush. That might be the one thing I really do dislike about frats, I've seen too many friends completely change and fall into the category that give frats some of the negative reputation

So, how did you all decide which Fraternity to choose, or was it just a matter of them choosing you? Aren't all of them only going to tell you the good things at rush, like being on a first date?

I was friends with a lot of the guys before pledging or even before I considered joining the fraternity. Many of us still keep in touch, mainly through a proprietary internet site, but also through reunions and other functions. Also, our fraternity was quite eclectic for the times. We had/have brothers who were white Jewish, Muslim, Asian and black... and this in a school in Florida in the late 60's. A lot of the guys from back then are even now very involved in the school and in the alumni assn.

I have a negative opinion of Frats. Yeah, I've heard about the service commitments for do-gooding, but I think that's all just a cover so these drinking clubs won't get in trouble with the schools. And, why anyone would want to submit themselves to being humiliated during hazing and then be friends with the people who did it and turn around and do it to others the next year, is beyond me.

My son is toying with the idea of joining a Frat. Anyone have any experiences with these organizations you want to share?

Hi Skymama,
No, I was in the Skydiving Club and we had our meetings the same time and day as the frats. 'Guess in a way, we were kinda' an independent frat with a particular focus . Other than most of us being students at Southeastern La. College the administration wouldn't even have anything to do with us!!:ph34r::ph34r::D:D;);)B|
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Yeah I was in a fraternity in college. My main moitivation for joining was the food and the bear and the chicks. I hated dorm life and the food sucked.
Once I got in I found out it was more than that and I gained a good circle of friends. It also played a part in where I have ended up today. I think it was a good experience overall and if your son wants to join a fraternity then I agree with everyone else and let him check them out and let him choose. Because he is the one that has too live there not you. But you should provide suggestions and talk to him about why he chose a particular fraternity.Aagain, like everyone else said there are good ones and bad ones. I was in Theta Delta Chi Omicron triton chapter and had the opportunity to visit all the chapters in New England and I can tell you there is a big difference in chapters from school to school. The MIT chapter was a museum whereas the Dartmouth chapter looked like something out of animal house-no exaggeration. You will be able to tell alot about a Fraternity by the way the house is kept. Hope this helps.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

Did the fraternity thing. Overall a good experience. Some hazing, mostly mental, but nothing too harsh, and nothing compared to what I experienced in residency.
I spent 2.5 years as the house treasurer - and managed to keep us in the black even undergoing house renovations -- actually taught me a shitload about managing money. As far as "buying your friends" -- Yeah, you had to pay dues. After all, getting bands, entertaining ladies, buying enough beer for the GDIs, maintaining the property, etc sure as hell wasn't free.

Lots of good friends. Some professional contacts. Would recommend. As others have said though, he can spend all of his time with cheap sorority whores and doing blow if he wants......but I still dont know if that is a bad thing.

I have a negative opinion of Frats. Yeah, I've heard about the service commitments for do-gooding, but I think that's all just a cover so these drinking clubs won't get in trouble with the schools. And, why anyone would want to submit themselves to being humiliated during hazing and then be friends with the people who did it and turn around and do it to others the next year, is beyond me.

Haven't you ever witnessed an SCR ceremony? :S

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Except joining the rugby club in a UK university seems to make Animal House seen tame, according to stories my daughters tell of their rugby playing male friends. Some boys don't seem to have spent much time wearing clothes in their first term!

Yeah I was in a fraternity in college. My main moitivation for joining was the food and the bear and the chicks. I hated dorm life and the food sucked.

So . . . did the bear give free BJs or something?? :D:D
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Haven't you ever witnessed an SCR ceremony? :S

Hi Jen,
Not a witness but I've heard. The "Ceremony" you speak of evolved and is I think is mostly a "Texas thing." In the beginning there was no 8-MAM. Then Bob Boquor filmed the first 8-Man back in the mid 60's and the rest is history!! The deal was that whoever got their "SCR" bought a "case of beer" for the jumpers on the dive!! (Thursty bunch of bastards they were!!) Those lurkers, freeloaders, bums and vultures circling the perifery of "The group" might get the dregs out of the empty bottles if any!! The thought of pouring "Good BEER, God Forbid!" on somebody for an "SCR Ceremony" was a Sacrilidge!! One thing for sure, If it was YOU who got your SCR, You took charge of the case and handed out beer to those on the load first!! Unless they got their fist filled with a "COLD BEER!!" some jumpers would withhold signing off your SCR form till You Provided!!

If you think of "SCR" as kind of a "frat' then the ultimate "Frat Party" was the "SCR Scrambles" or as we usedta' say,"THE STUMBLES!!!!!" Been there, done that and still have o couple of the T-shirts in the archives!!!

, 23DEC72; , 07JAN73.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

so he should join a sorority

I was in a sorority for a while... Till they search the house and found me hiding in a closet....

So you were once in the closet???:o
I would never have guessed.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

so he should join a sorority

I was in a sorority for a while... Till they search the house and found me hiding in a closet....

So you were once in the closet???:o
I would never have guessed.:|

Seriously? You had no clue? Really? No clue at all?

Hmmm. Surprising to say the least. I thought you to be more observant.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Seriously? You had no clue? Really? No clue at all?

Hmmm. Surprising to say the least. I thought you to be more observant.

I've even met him in person, and he seemed so normal, (well for a Frenchman).:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.